Opera 11.00 Release Candidate 1

HardOCP News

[H] News
All you alternative browser types out there should head on over and download Opera 11.00 RC 1.

Thanks to the heavy testing being performed both internally at Opera, and by all of you eager testers out there, we now have a very good overview of the quality level of Opera 11.0. In fact, we have now reached a stage where Opera 11.0 is mature enough to be prepared for a final release.

One exceptional thing I have discovered about Opera is that it plays flash video much more efficiently than Chrome or Firefox when it is running in a VM.

Finally, I can update from Beta. Some of the quirks with tab stacking were annoying me, but overall worked perfectly.

I've been a fan of Opera for quite a while. If you haven't tried it lately, now is a good time to take a look!

Woo browser wars!

Opera is probably the most under covered major browser, even though its really pretty good.

Using it now. So far, I can't imagine I'd ever use the tab stacking. But finally being able to use ad-block makes everything rose colored for this release.

I can see I'm using the tab stacking instead of using session.

Woo browser wars!

Opera is probably the most under covered major browser, even though its really pretty good.

I like it that way! less attention/exposure is a good thing for a browser/os, as far as virus/malware goes. I have been using opera for years and love it more every day!

I just gave this a try, and I've again switched full time. I went from 10.60 to Firefox 4.07b because of some Opera bugs, but 11.00RC fixed everything and is again the best browser(IMO).

finally... the beta 11 version keeps crashing when I close tabs with Flash enabled... had to switch over to chrome for some time :(

Release candidates are between beta and final.

Beta's are versions put out so people can play with new features; they're expected to be incomplete, mildly buggy. A release candidate is something that they think is ready for release and are letting other people pound on first.

Release candidates are between beta and final.

Beta's are versions put out so people can play with new features; they're expected to be incomplete, mildly buggy. A release candidate is something that they think is ready for release and are letting other people pound on first.

Maybe thats how opera views it but a release candidate should be a beta version thats in the final phases of testing for release.

Normally RC is still beta, polished and presumably ready but still beta.

Final version is released. I for one will not be using it anymore and will not touch anything by opera until they get their heads out of their asses.

I can get past it trying to install icons without asking thats a minor gripe even though its been common practice for like 20 years to ask before adding desktop and quick launch icons. What i cant get past is the sneaky fuckers make it force itself as the default browser without so much as a notification let alone asking me...

Thats the type of behavior you expect from malware not a trusted web browser...

Final version is released. I for one will not be using it anymore and will not touch anything by opera until they get their heads out of their asses.

I can get past it trying to install icons without asking thats a minor gripe even though its been common practice for like 20 years to ask before adding desktop and quick launch icons. What i cant get past is the sneaky fuckers make it force itself as the default browser without so much as a notification let alone asking me...

Thats the type of behavior you expect from malware not a trusted web browser...

Click "options" in the installer. There you can choose what shortcuts to create or not.

The installer also has a "Set as default browser" checkbox that you can uncheck. However, even if you uncheck that, when you start up Opera (when it launches automatically after install), "Ctrl + F12 -> advanced -> programs -> "check if Opera is the default..." might still be checked, which will cause Opera to try and set itself as the default browser. I consider this a bug, but it's been like this forever unfortunately.

There are ways to avoid this (like turning the setting off in operaprefs.ini before Opera starts. Also, you might find the http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/the-new-opera-installer useful.

Click "options" in the installer. There you can choose what shortcuts to create or not.

The installer also has a "Set as default browser" checkbox that you can uncheck. However, even if you uncheck that, when you start up Opera (when it launches automatically after install), "Ctrl + F12 -> advanced -> programs -> "check if Opera is the default..." might still be checked, which will cause Opera to try and set itself as the default browser. I consider this a bug, but it's been like this forever unfortunately.

There are ways to avoid this (like turning the setting off in operaprefs.ini before Opera starts. Also, you might find the http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/the-new-opera-installer useful.

Its not a bug its on purpose and they have been doing it since 10.5

My biggest issue is refreshing a page with mouse gestures (hold rmb, move mouse up then down, release rmb) as well as closing a page (hold rmb, mouse down then right, release rmb) seems to be rather finicky. Hopefully it gets tweaked in the near future as I

Anandtech carries dailytech articles in their sidebar but they're run separately. Dailytech was founded several years ago by someone who amicably left anandtech because he didn't like the way NDAs got in the way of reporting rumors/leaked data.

mouse gestures seem to be a bit more picky about my movement.

This is because they redid everything to support the gestures hint when you hold down the right mouse button. Opera now has to improve this new code to get gesture detection and good as it used to be.

If you goto opera:config#Gesture%20Threshold in the address field, you can change the detection some. This was in previous versions of Opera too, but you never needed to mess with it. For 11, some people say that setting it to 1 makes things work better. But, if you do set it to 1, make sure you reset it to default when the fix things or when you notice that a new build is acting funny with gestures.

What i cant get past is the sneaky fuckers make it force itself as the default browser without so much as a notification let alone asking me...
Isn't that exactly what Firefox is doing, too?

Normally RC is still beta, polished and presumably ready but still beta.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Release_candidate

"The term release candidate (RC) refers to a version with potential to be a final product, ready to release unless fatal bugs emerge."

For the record.

ouLYN.png

installer.png

I opted to do a new install into the Program Files folder. Unchecked all the boxes.

defaults.png

Default preferences. Closed Opera and Chrome is still my default browser. So, what's this about Opera setting itself as the default browser, again? Because...no, it doesn't.

installer.png

I opted to do a new install into the Program Files folder. Unchecked all the boxes.

defaults.png

Default preferences. Closed Opera and Chrome is still my default browser. So, what's this about Opera setting itself as the default browser, again? Because...no, it doesn't.

Burying the option under a secondary menu... The option should be upfront it should NOT be possible to install the app and not see the option up front.

Are we all supposed to assume it will make itself default unless you dredge through the options?

Its shady.

Yeah, I don't disagree. But there is at least an option, and it appears to abide by it.

Burying the option under a secondary menu... The option should be upfront it should NOT be possible to install the app and not see the option up front.

Are we all supposed to assume it will make itself default unless you dredge through the options?

Its shady.

So, if the option was on the main page, would that solve it for you?

So, if the option was on the main page, would that solve it for you?

Yes, it would. Hiding a system altering setting in a sub-menu is shady and goes against common practice. Like i said you should not be able to install opera without seeing that option.

Back