Opera 10 Alpha Released

I used Opera about 3 years ago and Firefox on the same computer, I have to say that I liked FireFox much more but liked how in Opera you could use mouse gestures to navigate. Does anyone believe that Opera 10 is totally worth using?

Does anyone believe that Opera 10 is totally worth using?

Opera 10 alpha is totally worth using. It's a zillion times better than 9.62, which is also totally worth using. Unless Opera 10 final is worse than 9.62, Opera 10 will be totally worth using.

I'm relying on Opera 10 alpha as my primary browser. It's that good of an alpha.

Opera 10 alpha is totally worth using. It's a zillion times better than 9.62, which is also totally worth using. Unless Opera 10 final is worse than 9.62, Opera 10 will be totally worth using.

I'm relying on Opera 10 alpha as my primary browser. It's that good of an alpha.

That's really good news. I am a long time Opera user (don't even have FF installed:D) but I don't like 9.62 TBH. It seems to be the most unstable release of recent times. Websites which worked perfectly with older versions now lock up 9.62 for no reason.

Off to download 10 now...

Does 10 use less resources than 9? I switched to Firefox 3 because FF3 uses a LOT less system resources to run.

That's really good news. I am a long time Opera user (don't even have FF installed:D) but I don't like 9.62 TBH. It seems to be the most unstable release of recent times. Websites which worked perfectly with older versions now lock up 9.62 for no reason.

Off to download 10 now...

The only problem with Opera 10 right now is that some sites have dumb User Agent detection.

For example, lots of sites (like banks etc.) will block all future versions of browsers until they become the stable version. They always assume future versions are bad.

With Opera 10, some people are seeing User Agent detection on sites choke because Opera's major version is now 2 digits.

Does 10 use less resources than 9? I switched to Firefox 3 because FF3 uses a LOT less system resources to run.

That depends on what you're using in Opera. If you use mail, rss feeds, Opera link and widgets etc., Opera might use more. But, for me, just on startup and using all those things, Opera uses 27MB. Firefox 3 (latest trunk) uses 40MB.

After loading http://hardocp.com/ for example, Opera jumps to 60MB. After closing the hardocp page, Opera doesn't release the memory right away. (It caches things for a bit).

For Firefox in the same situation, it jumps to 60MB. Closing the hardocp page though, it drops to 44MB

Given just that little bit and considering that Opera 10 has *lots* of mem leak fixes, I'd say Opera 10 is a lot better in this area. It does still agressively cache, but it's happy to give it up if some other program needs it.

Opera's always kind of had the idea that memory is meant to be used and if nothing else needs it, go ahead and use it. Tweaking tools -> preferences -> advanced -> history and tweaking the mem cache might help you tweak things to your liking though.

I left Firefox for Opera 9.6 a few weeks ago and really like the change. Opera seems quicker, cleaner, just "feels" like a better browser. I can sync it with Opera Mini on my BlackBerry Curve, too. I'll have to give 10 Alpha a try.

FYI:

You can make Opera 10 even faster by:

Turning on opera:config#Delayed%20Script%20Execution (This may break some pages though. You can try it out and see, but don't forget you have it on.)

Going to "tools -> preferences -> advanced -> network" and bumping up the max connections total and per server. (May break downloading of some elements on the page if there are too many connections to one server.)

Going to "tools -> preferences -> advanced -> browsing" and setting loading to "instantly".

Unchecking opera:config#Reduce%20Max%20Persistent%20HTTP%20Connections (May break the same way as bumping up max connections)

Bumping up opera:config#ECMAScript (May use more memory)

Setting opera:config#Browser%20JavaScript to 0. (This will turn off all JS compatibility fixes for sites though and will turn off automatic updating of browser.js. Set it back to 2 when done testing.)

Turning off the scroll marker and smooth scrolling under tools -> preferences -> advanced -> browsing. This will make scrolling pages faster.

On older computers, if the UI acts a little sluggish on windows when scrolling, you can try turning hardware acceleration down one notch in Windows to see if it helps.

Just remember to restore the defaults if you experience problems.

I used to use both Opera and FireFox; but now I'm strictly FF. Opera has a great UI and some cool ideas but FireFox takes the cake for fast speed.

Back