OpenSolaris derived ZFS NAS/ SAN (OmniOS, OpenIndiana, Solaris and napp-it)

regarding hardware support
Linux supports more hardware
But a "Best Use" Linux ZFS hardware is the same like a BSD or Solarish ZFS one

regarding alerts
Have you enabled auto at all (on Linux you must add a cron job for auto.pl manually)

Agreed on your first point.

Yea, auto service is on and the OS is Solaris 11.3. Still no luck :\

1. I have not seen such a problem with my disks or with current suggested NAS disks
It seems mainly a disk/firmware problem of some disks. You can disable fmd but this will disable disk hot spare auto replace

2. For napp-it admin
edit or delete /var/web-gui/_log/napp-it.cfg

Thanks. For 2, all set now. For 1. I checked on Firmware and all updated firmware use the same temperature. I agree that disabling fmd would probably not be a good thing. So, that pretty much makes napp-it on Illumos not possible for me. Which of the non-Illumos systems does napp-it have the most functionality on? I'd prefer Linux since that is what 99% of our systems use (a couple of OpenBSD systems for packet filtering).

Thanks,

Steve

napp-it on Illumos (OI and OmniOS) are quite identical and use the same mpt_sas driver.
Functionality wise, Oracle Solaris is not only identical but offers additionally much faster resilvering,
encryption and is mostly the fastest ZFS and Oracle use their own driver (but Solaris is nonfree for commercial usage)

napp-it on Linux is limited to ZFS, Snap and Jobmanagement with limited share management functions
http://www.napp-it.org/doc/downloads/setup_napp-it_os.pdf

Both are very close to the common Illumos development, for example the newest improvements in Illumos like the new loader and USB3 are now in both OmniOS 151022 and OI 2017.04

Both adds specials like the GUI option in OI or LX container in OmniOS. Main advantage of OmniOS was the commercial support option and stable/longterm stable editions with fulltime software engineers working on it. The future of this commercial support option is open (There is a funding call to continue).

There are comments from OmniTi indicating to continue hosting of the repository, offer the brand OmniOS to the community and to support bugfixing at a certain level. As OmniOS stable 151022 LTS will be available soon and as it is currently the most advanced and stable free Illumos OS for storage, there is no hurry to decide for next year. If there is a need, a switch is troublefree as they are nearly identical.

Next AiO napp-it template will be based on next OmniOS. An OI release would be possible as well.

Having a curious problem, thought you guys might have an idea what's going on.

I added a Solaris 11.3 server to my Windows Domain with ID Mapping so I could have ACL's on Pool/FileSystem1. Pool/FileSystem2 is set to every@=mod and guestok=true because I want guest access on FileSystem2, but only Windows computers can connect as guests, not OSX computers. Why is this?

Also, is there a log of the Solaris commands Napp-it is executing?

Last edited:
1. What id-mappings?
When you are only using SMB + AD domain you need no mappings,
ok maybe beside windows:domain\administrator=unix:root for easier administration.

On OmniOS, you must enable and use a user guest for anonymous access, have not tried this with OSX and Solaris for some time.

2. command log
On napp-it Pro, you can enable "edit" in the upper right toplevel menu nearby logout.
You can the check internal hash values and you can click on "Log" that displays last commands and results.

I'm only using domain\administrator=unix:root. Do you mean you have to create an actual user named guest?

Thanks! I'm trying to learn more about the ACLs on SMB shares so I want to see the commands Napp-it is outputting when doing ACL modifications.

If you get the chance I think you should add to the Napp-it documentation for AD ACLs that you can modify them by going to Computer Management on your DC and connecting to your Solaris server in the Computer Management interface. Currently the documentation I've seen just says "Modify ACLs from Windows" but doesn't tell you how.

For anybody who finds this post in the future: Computer Management > Connect to Computer > Put in hostname or IP of your Solaris box > System Tools > Shared Folders.

about guest access in OmniOS/OI (may be different in Solaris)
https://wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/SMB+Guest+access

About Windows:
Solaris behaves quite like a Windows 2008 server so you can do this like you would on a Windows server
- set ACL from a Windows machine connected as an admin or user root (via security properties)

- manage shares or open files/ connected users via computer management.
You should only SMB connect as a user that is a member of the SMB group administrators on Solaris prior a "connect to computer"

Hey,

I use OI 151_a (yeah, I know!). Is there a way to simulate read/write to a pool to determine which drives have gone bad. Once I have done that I am going to replace them and re-jig the pools, so basically start again. What is the best distro out there now?

I am considering Windows Server 2016 Storage Spaces too. I don't need anything fancy - just a no-frills file storage box.

Thanks!

No problem with OI 151a. I have also such a server that is running as a backup server for years, set and forget!
Not like Windows where every few weeks there is a critical pach that you MUST update with a reboot.

Regarding best distro, this is not as easy.
Best ZFS integration is in Solaris & Co where even a minimal install offers everything that is needed for ZFS and storage.

The most feature rich and fastest in my tests is Oracle Solaris the origin of ZFS.
But it is not free and not compatible with OpenZFS

For a free distribution, look at the free Solaris forks like OmniOS (151022 LTS, May 2017) or OpenIndiana (2017.04), see

Is there something to do for protecting my ZFS boxes from wannacry ransomware? If some infected machine is connected to the local network can it access them by SMB?

As I see it, WannaCry infects Windows machines with a patchlevel older say march 2017. Systems prior Windows 7 are always affected as there are no security fixes for years.

After infection with WannaCry, this trojan can attack and/or infect other Windows machines (and eventually SAMBA) over SMB. If this is using the hearbeat bug, Solarish CIFS is not affected.

Infected Windows machines start then to encrypt data. If an infected Windows machine can access a network share with its admin account, all data on the share can be encrypted. If the server is a ZFS server with snapshots, all data can be encrypted but as snaps are readonly they are always save, so do snapshots at least one a day.

In case of an infection you have snaps for a rollback.

btw
Last week I got infos of a new very critical problem that affects Windows with a patchlevel prior may. The target is a bug in Windows Defender. Even opening a mail or a website without any further action can result in a full takeover of the machine.

Last edited:
This is a very critical bug with an immediate patch from Microsoft.

So I haven't been using SMB/CIFS recently. I wanted a share for some reason, so I created one and shared with sharesmb=on, but the omnios host is not showing up in the Network window of any of 4 windows servers/workstations here. I *can* share the filesystem if I explictly share it (like with '\\10.0.0.32\xxxx"). It's like omnios is not making itself browseable? I tried disabling/enabling the cifs server, rebooting, rejoining WORKGROUP, etc, but nothing?

For whatever reason this is disabled per default from OmniOS 151018 up.
Enable via napp-it menu service > smb > properties or via CLI
sharectl set -p netbios_enable=true smb.

1022 broke my napp-it.

ld.so.1: perl: fatal: relocation error: file /var/web-gui/data/napp-it/CGI/auto/IO/Tty/Tty.so: symbol Perl_xs_apiversion_bootcheck: referenced symbol not found

Thoughts on how to fix?

A new install via wget seems to have fixed things. I probably should have updated before updating OmniOS. Hopefully this release is as stable as the last.

Only the newest napp-it (17.01 or 17.03) supports OmniOS 151022

btw
There are discussions around a continuation of OmniOS as a Illumos distribution with stable/lts edition and full OS support. But indeed the problem with OmniTi are that there were not enough users willing to pay for this.

The main alternative is the community project OpenIndiana, the continuation of OpenSolaris. This is more or less ongoing Illumos with an additional GUI option. It comes as a minimal, text (quite similar to OmniOS) and a GUI edition with newest Mate 1.18

Another option may be SmartOS (Samsung owned), another Illumos distribution where the main former OmniOS developer is now . It is one of the best virtualisation platforms with Solaris zones, Linux/LX container, Docker and KVM support. It runs from RAM and USB stick what makes a Storage appliance not as easy due to some global zones restrictions. Maybe the absolute "killer option" in future.

Lately my firefox browser was starting to crash a lot, I've just narrowed it down to Napp-it. When displaying Realtime monitor overview firefox crashes within a hour. I've also tried chrome, and that one runs out of memory in about half a hour.

This happens on two different computers (win7), two browsers,all within about a hour of displaying mostly any graphical 'stats' page.

I'm currently running 17.04dev.
Anyone seen this behavour before?

Greetings,

Emile

napp-it 17.04 uses the rgraph html5 graphics library with Ajax pust technology.
I use Windows 10 and have seen crashes with Firefox as well but not with Chrome.

Memory usage in Extensions > Realtime Monitor on my test machine is
Firefox: around 140 MB
Chrome: around 45MB

I currently have no Windows 7. How much RAM do you have?
Can you check Task Manager > RAM usage

Last edited:
Chrome memory usage increases steadily to 4gb in 15 minutes, and crashes a few minutes later.

Firefox memory usage also steadily increases but around 500mb (single tab) it becomes unresponsive, also in about 15 minutes.

Some horrendous memory leak somewhere in the system. (Win7 64 / 8GB Ram)

I've got the same problem on another system with Win7 64 4GB. (hardware wise very different)

I can confirm the memory leak with Chrome on Windows 7.
This is not the case with a newer Chrome in Windows 10 where Chrome is the most stable option.

I have updated jsquery and rgraph in 17.04dev but this does not affect the Chrome behaviour.
Please reload 17.04dev and try Firefox or IExplorer on Windows7 (no memory problems)

On Firefox, avoid multiple browser sessions/windows.

Last edited:
Hello Gea,

Looks a lot better now on firefox and win7, had it running for a few hours now without a problem.

Multiple sessions is still a bit problematic.

Thanks,
Emile

Last edited:
About OmniOS

OmniOS feels now like an airplane where captain and crew jumped off from now to then. Only passengers left, first class ones and others who where lucky to win a free trip with free lunch and drinks but now no one in sight willing or more propably capable to replace captain and crew and staff to run the airplane as a commercial project.

I have thought a while what to do but it is now clear to me and napp-it that I revert to OpenIndiana as default free napp-it platform. OpenIndiana was already my default years ago when Oracle closed the door and OpenIndiana 151a was more or less the OpenSolaris fork with a lot of old Sun code what slows development and hinders a stable minimal server platform. At that time OmniOS was first thought to be build ontop of OpenIndiana but due its deep interaction with the desktop version the idea of a new minimal free Solaris fork was born at Illumos and for OmniOS. This makes Illumos with OmniOS as a minimal server distribution a more favourable platform for a ZFS server than OpenIndiana.

This is history. OpenIndiana stopped further development of OpenIndiana 151a and switched to pure Illumos under the name OpenIndiana Hipster with a quite large software repository. They are now offering a Illumos distribution as a minimal, a textedition (quite identical to OmniOS) and a version with the Mate GUI.

While there are other free Illumos based options like Xstream and SmartOS, both with a commercial background, OpenIndiana as a real community and OpenSource project for a general use server is the way to go for napp-it from now on as the main platform beside Oracle Solaris, the mother of all.

The king is dead, long live the king OpenIndiana. Work together to make this stronger.
Hope to see the OmniOS goodies there in future (LX, LTS support). Thats how I see it.

btw
There is a new napp-it 17.06 free/Pro

About OmniOS

OmniOS feels now like an airplane where captain and crew jumped off from now to then. Only passengers left, first class ones and others who where lucky to win a free trip with free lunch and drinks but now no one in sight willing or more propably capable to replace captain and crew and staff to run the airplane as a commercial project.

I have thought a while what to do but it is now clear to me and napp-it that I revert to OpenIndiana as default free napp-it platform. OpenIndiana was already my default years ago when Oracle closed the door and OpenIndiana 151a was more or less the OpenSolaris fork with a lot of old Sun code what slows development and hinders a stable minimal server platform. At that time OmniOS was first thought to be build ontop of OpenIndiana but due its deep interaction with the desktop version the idea of a new minimal free Solaris fork was born at Illumos and for OmniOS. This makes Illumos with OmniOS as a minimal server distribution a more favourable platform for a ZFS server than OpenIndiana.

This is history. OpenIndiana stopped further development of OpenIndiana 151a and switched to pure Illumos under the name OpenIndiana Hipster with a quite large software repository. They are now offering a Illumos distribution as a minimal, a textedition (quite identical to OmniOS) and a version with the Mate GUI.

While there are other free Illumos based options like Xstream and SmartOS, both with a commercial background, OpenIndiana as a real community and OpenSource project for a general use server is the way to go for napp-it from now on as the main platform beside Oracle Solaris, the mother of all.

The king is dead, long live the king OpenIndiana. Work together to make this stronger.
Hope to see the OmniOS goodies there in future (LX, LTS support). Thats how I see it.

btw
There is a new napp-it 17.06 free/Pro

When would you suggest would be a good time to jump from OmniOS to OI?

Is there a changelog for 17.06 / 17.07(dev)?

Thank you for the updates.

http://napp-it.org/downloads/changelog_en.html

About a move
There is no hurry. At the moment you get quite the same, maybe less due the missing LX zones maybe more due the GUI version with local management with Timeslider and Firefox/napp-it or VNC.

This may change when newer Illumos bits are in OI but not in OmniOS

Hi all,

Really starnge, I couldn't login on the HardForum site, the user name was not recognised, I had to re-register, is there a way to change my current name to my old user name?
Anyway, that's not why I am here, currently I am still running Nexenta on my home NAS using an old internal HDD, so I have decided to upgrade to OmniOS with Nappit till I read the above:

My current NAS is as per below:

nexenta appliance v. 0.500r nightly Jun.27.2011

pool: NAS
state: ONLINE
scan: resilvered 0 in 0h0m with 0 errors on Fri Jul 7 03:53:54 2017
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
NAS ONLINE 0 0 0
raidz1-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
c2t3d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
c2t2d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
c2t1d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
c2t0d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
raidz1-1 ONLINE 0 0 0
c2t6d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
c2t5d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
c2t4d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
c2t7d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
raidz1-2 ONLINE 0 0 0
c2t11d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
c2t10d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
c2t9d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
c2t8d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
raidz1-3 ONLINE 0 0 0
c2t13d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
c2t14d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
c2t15d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
c2t16d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
raidz1-4 ONLINE 0 0 0
c2t17d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
c2t18d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
c2t19d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
c2t20d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
raidz1-5 ONLINE 0 0 0
c2t21d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
c2t22d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
c2t23d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
c2t24d0 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

pool: syspool
state: ONLINE
status: The pool is formatted using an older on-disk format. The pool can
still be used, but some features are unavailable.
action: Upgrade the pool using 'zpool upgrade'. Once this is done, the
pool will no longer be accessible on older software versions.
scan: none requested
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
syspool ONLINE 0 0 0
c1t0d0s0 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

The system pool is using a different format version to the pool itself version 26 vs version 28.

Can I just go ahead and upgrade from my current 60gb internal HDD to a 120gb SSD? should I use the OmniOS or OI?

My upgrade steps are as per below, is this correct and safe?

1) Log in to Napp-it
2) Export the pool via "export pool NAS" in Napp-it
3) Remove current internal hdd
4) install the image either OmniOS or OI (can this be done on a windows machine first or do I have to use the NAS server to install?)
5) Install the 120gb SSD on the NAS
6) Boot up into Napp-it
7) import the pool via "import pool NAS"

Thanks for all your help.

Hi Gea,

Does HDD spindown in Openindiana Hipster work. I got it to work with the old OI, but i notice after I set the powermanagement in Napp-it for my HDD to turndown after certain times, but it doesn't seem to work

Thanks

Back