OpenSolaris derived ZFS NAS/ SAN (OmniOS, OpenIndiana, Solaris and napp-it)

Just took me 6 hours to backup 1000 pictures off of the pool. Horribly slow. The media I don't care about backing up that much it's all replaceable. However, while backing up the photos it generated 1.18k read errors on the degraded hard drive, so I'm swapping that one out within a couple of hours. I'll rebuild the pool and hope for the best. I'll order another 2tb drive today to replace the faulted drive then send them both out for new ones.

Pain in the ass LOL. Hopefully I don't lose too much media.

Now I'm more confused. I reboot the server and all the read errors that showed up on the one faulted hard drive has been reset to 0 while the read errors on the faulted hard drive is at 90.

Now I'm more confused. I reboot the server and all the read errors that showed up on the one faulted hard drive has been reset to 0 while the read errors on the faulted hard drive is at 90.

c2t5000C5003E17A51Ad0 2.00 TB pool raidz DEGRADED Error: S:10 H:175 T:331 ST2000DL003-9VT166 sat,12 PASSED 5YD4WR7B 52 °C
c2t5000C50045C136ACd0 2.00 TB pool basic DEGRADED Error: S:8 H:0 T:0 ST2000DL003-9VT166 sat,12 PASSED 6YD18L9A 53 °C
c2t5000C5004ECAC1E7d0 2.00 TB pool raidz ONLINE Error: S:8 H:0 T:0 ST2000DM001-9YN164 sat,12 PASSED Z1F1GXN4 36 °C
c2t50014EE2593BD11Fd0 2.00 TB pool basic FAULTED Error: S:13 H:60 T:20 WDC WD20EADS-00S2B0 sat,12 PASSED WDWCAVY2040954 63 °C
c2t50024E920667E9B5d0 2.00 TB pool basic DEGRADED Error: S:8 H:0 T:0 SAMSUNG HD204UI sat,12 PASSED S2HGJ9JBA02015 59 °C
c2t50024E920667E9C6d0 2.00 TB pool basic DEGRADED Error: S:8 H:0 T:0 SAMSUNG HD204UI sat,12 PASSED S2HGJ9JBA02016

What the hell is happening!

SMART read errors are typically loose or malfunctioning SATA cables. Swapping out that specific SATA cable may solve the issue (at least, it's the first thing I'd try as it's a $2 fix if it works).

I agree with Gea and TCM though, your drives are WAY too hot. You typically want to keep them under 40*, 50* and I start to really worry. Most hard drives are only rated up to 60* and they fail at that point. One or more of your drives are over 60*, so that's likely going to cause the drives to fail pre-maturely.

Gea: I'd really like to get notifications working in napp-it because I don't feel safe running any sort of raid without it. I know TLS isn't supported, but I'm stuck trying to get regular SMTP working. I'm using OmniOS, and I signed up for a free SMTP account at jangoSMTP.net. However, my ISP blocks sending on port 25, so napp-it isn't sending any emails. Is there a way to force napp-it to use an alternate port?

I'm even considering switching to OI because TLS support works there (which I can use with my gmail account). But I know you're suggesting to stick with OmniOS since that's what you use, and I'd like to stick with your recommendation if possible.

I'm panicking if disks go above 40°C. 63°C?! Damn.

Well, learned a valuable lesson today.

In the midst of me panicing about my data, I failed to see what was blindly staring me in the face. That is, my drives were too hot. Why, you ask? Turns out both of the intake fans on the front of my server rack had burned out. The answer was obvious, painfully so, and I would have discovered it if I was at a clients place in about 2 seconds. I had just gotten home from vacation to find my server flaking and didn't put 1 and 1 together. Lesson learned.

Sheekamoo wrote:
Gea: I'd really like to get notifications working in napp-it because I don't feel safe running any sort of raid without it. I know TLS isn't supported, but I'm stuck trying to get regular SMTP working. I'm using OmniOS, and I signed up for a free SMTP account at jangoSMTP.net. However, my ISP blocks sending on port 25, so napp-it isn't sending any emails. Is there a way to force napp-it to use an alternate port?

You didn't mention whether you had an all-in-one or not. If so, make a small linux (I prefer Centos) virtual server that runs an SMTP server for you all-in-one's subnet. There are many tutorials on how to set this up.

Heads up for anyone else running Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD series boards. Solaris 11.1 seems to have a tendency to experience a never ending console scroll after the first few minutes in the console. Driver issue, has been reported with no fix yet.

So I've replaced the hard drive and the resilvering has successfully completed; however, the disks (old and new) show up as "replacing". If I reboot the system, the whole resilvering process happens again.

system release:

SunOS server 5.11 oi_151a2 i86pc i386 i86pc

pool overview:

pool: pool
state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
corruption. Applications may be affected.
action: Restore the file in question if possible. Otherwise restore the
entire pool from backup.
see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
scan: resilvered 1.58T in 10h6m with 1 errors on Tue Jul 30 22:05:08 2013
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
pool DEGRADED 0 0 1
raidz1-0 DEGRADED 0 0 2
replacing-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
c2t5000C5003E17A51Ad0 ONLINE 0 0 0
c2t5000C5004ECAC1E7d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
c2t5000C50045C136ACd0 ONLINE 0 0 0

Is my next step to remove the old hard drive?

If you have replaced the faulted disks, followed by a scrub without errors, you can
- clear last errors (napp-it menu pools)

If your controller is hot plug capable, you can just (hot) remove or plug disks without problems
- otherwise you must shut down to add or remove disks

How do I enable Chap authentication for an iSCSI device?

I went to edit the target iscsi device in napp-it and changed the authentication from none to chap. After hitting submit the next page allows me to enter a login and password, but after doing so and hitting submit, I get this error:

Invalid secret file /var/web-gui/data/wwwroot/cgi-bin/_log/passwd.txt
itadm modify-target [-a radius|chap|none|default] [-s] [-S chap-secret-path] [-u chap-username] [-n new-target-node-name] [-l alias] [-t tpg-name[,tpg-name,...]] target-node-name

How do I enable Chap authentication for an iSCSI device?

I went to edit the target iscsi device in napp-it and changed the authentication from none to chap. After hitting submit the next page allows me to enter a login and password, but after doing so and hitting submit, I get this error:

wrong path (fixed in current downloads).
please update or reload napp-it via menu about - update

Thanks Gea. I was able to save the chap username/password this time.

I'm not sure I'm understanding how to connect to this though. Without chap enabled I can connect to the iSCSI target easily. However, once I enable chap authentication, I can no longer connect.

In my iSCSI Initiator on my Mac, there's two options in the authentication settings. One for User Authentication and one for Target Authentication.

I assume the target authentication setting is the one I setup when modifying my target within napp-it to add chap authentication. But what about the user authentication? I tried using my user account credentials, as well as a number of various combinations, but my initiator keeps telling me it failed when I try to connect.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks Gea. I was able to save the chap username/password this time.

I'm not sure I'm understanding how to connect to this though. Without chap enabled I can connect to the iSCSI target easily. However, once I enable chap authentication, I can no longer connect.

In my iSCSI Initiator on my Mac, there's two options in the authentication settings. One for User Authentication and one for Target Authentication.

I assume the target authentication setting is the one I setup when modifying my target within napp-it to add chap authentication. But what about the user authentication? I tried using my user account credentials, as well as a number of various combinations, but my initiator keeps telling me it failed when I try to connect.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong here?

If you edit Comstar target properties for chap, you need to enter a user and a password.
But I use not myself, maybee you need to read a little in the Oracle docs like

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19963-01/html/821-1462/itadm-1m.html
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23824_01/html/821-1459/fnnop.html

So I resilvered the drive (3 times now), took out hte old hard drive, and it's resilvering again.

status: One or more devices is currently being resilvered. The pool will
continue to function, possibly in a degraded state.
action: Wait for the resilver to complete.
scan: resilver in progress since Thu Aug 1 09:49:29 2013
9.58G scanned out of 7.93T at 178M/s, 12h56m to go
29.9M resilvered, 0.12% done
config:

pool DEGRADED 0 0 0
raidz1-0 DEGRADED 0 0 0
replacing-0 DEGRADED 0 0 0
c2t5000C5003E17A51Ad0 UNAVAIL 0 0 0 cannot open
c2t5000C5004ECAC1E7d0 ONLINE 0 0 0 (resilvering)
c2t5000C50045C136ACd0 ONLINE 0 0 0
c2t50014EE2593BD11Fd0 FAULTED 0 0 0 too many errors
c2t50024E920667E9B5d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
c2t50024E920667E9C6d0 ONLINE 0 0 0

Hi _Gea et al

Forgive what will probably turn out to be my overlooking something really stupid, but I'm running out of time and haven't been able to google the answer to this thus far.

Basics:
ESXI 5.0U1 on Dell T110
OI VM running Napp-it 0.7l nightly Feb.23.2012 (yeah I need to update)
Onboard Intel SATA controller passed thru to VM (I use an add-on card for two mirrored 2TB drives that contain all my VMs, so this is just for all my data)
4 2TB drives attached to the mobo SATA controller, set up in a raidz pool called "Data"with several ZFS folders (documents, music, videos, etc.)

I also have a 4-drive eSATA external enclosure connected via the built-in eSATA port on the T110 (part of the onboard SATA controller, so this gets passed thru to the OI VM also). I had originally set up those four drives as their own independent RaidZ pool called "Data2" as a test, but a year or so ago destroyed pool and haven't been using those drives.

My dilemma: I've got a lot of valuable data on my "Data" pool now and I'm about to leave town for two weeks. I've decided I want to make a one-off backup of my pool as it exists now and take it off-site for peace-of-mind.

I wanted to use the four extra drives in that external enclosure to do that. But when I go to "Create Pool" or "Add Vdev" I get "no unused disks available". I can go to "Import" and re-import the "Data2" pool, which shows as destroyed but lets me import it anyway. But I'm curious how can one destroy a pool and then free up that pools disks to form a new pool/vdev? There must be some step I am missing, because when I destroy "Data2" again I still get "no unused disks available" and the only thing I can find to do is re-import the destroyed pool.

The second question is that I figured OK, well if I was able to import the Data2 pool I can just use that to contain the backup of my Data pool. I don't really need to create a new one.

But, what is the quickest route to get an exact duplicate of my Data pool onto Data2? I was poking around in the Napp-it menus and could not get the rsync service to start. I tried starting it under Services but when I would go back into it it still showed rsync as disabled. So I gave up on that and kept looking.

Then I found the Replication section under Jobs. I thought that would work great since it appears to allow replication between two pools on the same host. So I tried running a replication of a 6GB ZFS folder (my smallest one) from Data to Data2. It immediately pegged the vCPU... all of the ZFS folders were inaccessible from other machines, I could not SSH in nor access via the web page or access the console via the vSphere client. In the interest of being patient I left it running for over 12 hours but there was still no change this morning so I powered off the OI VM and started it back up. Everything's OK but the replication job didn't complete (I don't think it even really started) and I'm afraid to start it again since it appeared to not work. This makes me wonder if it's not intended to replicate pools on the same server.

So tl;dr

1. What's the quickest method to mirror one pool to another pool (both 2TBx4 raidz) on the same server
2. What's the proper procedure to destroy a pool so that you can then re-use those disks to make a new pool?

Thanks very much for any help. I really need to spend some time digging into this stuff, but at the moment I'm 72 hours away from leaving and I know mirroring 5+TB of data will take a while so I want to get started ASAP.

napp-it 0.7 had a problem with detection of some ide type disks.
You must either update or create a pool manually via CLI.

Fastest way in your case, is:
- import data2 pool
- copy all files from data to data2 (I would use midnight commander, at console enter mc as root)

other options:
copy via CLI command cp
rsync (must be installed first)
robocopy (Windows tool similar to rsync)
zfs send via CLI
copy via SMB shares

Before you use a disk for ZFS it's good practice to wipe it with zeroes. Just in case.

So did another reboot, and another resilver has commenced. Old drive has been disconnected. Really starting to piss me off.

scan: resilver in progress since Thu Aug 1 19:02:42 2013
106G scanned out of 7.93T at 352M/s, 6h29m to go
56.2M resilvered, 1.31% done
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM CAP Product
pool DEGRADED 0 0 0
raidz1-0 DEGRADED 0 0 0
c2t5000C5004ECAC1E7d0 ONLINE 0 0 0 (resilvering) 2.00 TB ST2000DM001-9YN1
c2t5000C50045C136ACd0 ONLINE 0 0 0 2.00 TB ST2000DL003-9VT1
c2t50014EE2593BD11Fd0 FAULTED 0 0 0 too many errors 2.00 TB WDC WD20EADS-00S
c2t50024E920667E9B5d0 ONLINE 0 0 0 2.00 TB SAMSUNG HD204UI
c2t50024E920667E9C6d0 ONLINE 0 0 0 2.00 TB SAMSUNG HD204UI

Rebooted during a resilver - now the whole system won't boot.

/svc:system/boot-archice:default: Method "/lib/svc/method/boot-archive" failed due to signal KILL.

Ugh.

If I select an older version of Napp-It from the bootup menu, I get:

pool: pool1
state: UNAVAIL
status: One or more devices could not be used because the label is missing
or invalid. There are insufficient replicas for the pool to continue
functioning.
action: Destroy and re-create the pool from
a backup source.
see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-5E
scan: none requested
config:

pool1 UNAVAIL 0 0 0 insufficient replicas
raidz1-0 UNAVAIL 0 0 0 insufficient replicas
c2t5000C50045C136ACd0 FAULTED 0 0 0 corrupted data
c2t50024E920667E9B5d0 FAULTED 0 0 0 corrupted data
c2t50024E920667E9C6d0 FAULTED 0 0 0 corrupted data

So did another reboot, and another resilver has commenced. Old drive has been disconnected. Really starting to piss me off.

scan: resilver in progress since Thu Aug 1 19:02:42 2013
106G scanned out of 7.93T at 352M/s, 6h29m to go
56.2M resilvered, 1.31% done
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM CAP Product
pool DEGRADED 0 0 0
raidz1-0 DEGRADED 0 0 0
c2t5000C5004ECAC1E7d0 ONLINE 0 0 0 (resilvering) 2.00 TB ST2000DM001-9YN1
c2t5000C50045C136ACd0 ONLINE 0 0 0 2.00 TB ST2000DL003-9VT1
c2t50014EE2593BD11Fd0 FAULTED 0 0 0 too many errors 2.00 TB WDC WD20EADS-00S
c2t50024E920667E9B5d0 ONLINE 0 0 0 2.00 TB SAMSUNG HD204UI
c2t50024E920667E9C6d0 ONLINE 0 0 0 2.00 TB SAMSUNG HD204UI

Last edited:
If you edit Comstar target properties for chap, you need to enter a user and a password.
But I use not myself, maybee you need to read a little in the Oracle docs like

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19963-01/html/821-1462/itadm-1m.html
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23824_01/html/821-1459/fnnop.html

Thanks Gea.

Question, do you know of anyone that has successfully connected to an iSCSI target while using CHAP authentication? I'm trying to narrow things down to see if the issue is on the napp-it side of things, or with the globalSAN Initiator on my Mac. I've configured everything correctly, but when authentication is enabled I can't connect.

I think it might be an issue with the initiator software. There's another brand, ATTO, that makes an initiator for the Mac. But there's no demo, and it costs $200.

Wondering if anyone else out there has this working and if so, are they using the ATTO initiator instead?

Rebooted during a resilver - now the whole system won't boot.

/svc:system/boot-archice:default: Method "/lib/svc/method/boot-archive" failed due to signal KILL.

Ugh.

If I select an older version of Napp-It from the bootup menu, I get:

pool: pool1
state: UNAVAIL
status: One or more devices could not be used because the label is missing
or invalid. There are insufficient replicas for the pool to continue
functioning.
action: Destroy and re-create the pool from
a backup source.
see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-5E
scan: none requested
config:

I'm no ZFS expert, but that's showing that your entire pool of data is complete corrupt. Possibly from a hard reboot while it was trying to restore data?

I know ZFS is very resilient and it does plenty of error checking.

Here's my thought. Your hard drives were previously overheating. The drives could have therefore written corrupt data to your disks during your write operations and you didn't know that data was corrupt. Now that your hard drives were all being read from to rebuild a disk, they discovered the corruption. From here I'm not sure what would have happened with ZFS. It could have copied that corruption to more disks during the rebuild, and now that ZFS sees corruption on each disk, it's saying the entire pool is corrupt since it can't determine what data is valid in that pool.

Sounds like you need to destroy the pool, create a new pool, create a new ZFS filesystem, and copy the data back from your latest backup. Hopefully you have a backup... because no sort of RAID array is a backup of any sort (it simply offers more resilience against failure then a single hard drive).

First step before copying all your data back is to get those hard drive temps down (which I think you did by replacing your fans right?). There's also an option in ZFS called Scrub. You can find it in napp-in under Jobs. It essentially reads through all of your drives and ensures all the data is correct. I believe you want to do this once a month (at least) and do it during off hours since it's very intensive. If you had been doing these scrubs, you "may" have been able to find the issue before the entire pool became corrupt.

Again... I'm new to ZFS and this is my understanding of everything. I could be wrong, but hopefully it's helpful.

Thanks Gea.

Question, do you know of anyone that has successfully connected to an iSCSI target while using CHAP authentication? I'm trying to narrow things down to see if the issue is on the napp-it side of things, or with the globalSAN Initiator on my Mac. I've configured everything correctly, but when authentication is enabled I can't connect.

I think it might be an issue with the initiator software. There's another brand, ATTO, that makes an initiator for the Mac. But there's no demo, and it costs $200.

Wondering if anyone else out there has this working and if so, are they using the ATTO initiator instead?

I tested chap from Windows and got authentification failed es well.
I do not see the reason for the problem but there are more problem reports.
I would also be interested if someone has an idea.

similar?
http://www.nexentastor.org/boards/2/topics/279

When all disks fail, its mostly a problem with power, RAM, cabling or controllers.
In your case, it may be happened that the disks or data are damaged due to overheating.

- If you have a second machine, put the disks there and check if they are working -
at least use another controller/cabling.
(ZFS softraid is very robust, if two disks comes up, the pool is ok - try to remove any one disk if only this disk is blocking everything)

- If disks block on reboot, pull them out, start Solaris, hot-plug them in and check if the pool comes up
(eventually you need to import former states)

strongly recommended:
- do a low level check of the disks (use a manufacturers tool)
- some checks deletes disks others keeps data intact, do this only after backups or when you do not expect/need go regain data.

Is there even partial support for running Napp-it inside a SmartOS zone, or must everything be done in the global zone?

Is there even partial support for running Napp-it inside a SmartOS zone, or must everything be done in the global zone?

You must run a NAS or SAN management tool (CIFS, NFS, iSCSI, ZFS, Services, usermanagement etc) in the global zone.

I have a question. I created a LUN in OpenIndiana with napp-it. I then backed up the LUN, reformatted the box with Nexenta, and now can't figure out how to enable the LUN in Nexenta. It appears Nexenta uses zvols for LUNs rather than files.

I tried dd'ing the file LUN to a blank zvol LUN and that didn't seem to do anything. Any ideas?

Supr, I think you can actually use a file as a LUN, it just isn't supported in the GUI. There are CLI tools you can use to set up the mappings (sorry, don't remember the syntax.) If you google for solaris iscsi commands you can probably find something useful...

NexentaStor CE 3.x is based on quite old OpenSolaris 134
but It does support Comstar LUs (file and volumebased ) but only at CLI.

I have not used NexentaStor for years, but you can import file based LUs.
Check Oracle docs for details.

:(

Embarassed, yah.

Don't be man. I just came home to find my OI rig frozen, I finally get it up and look at what I found:

c6t2d0 250 GB rpool mirror ONLINE S:0 H:0 T:0 ST3250318AS sat,12 PASSED 49 °C 6VY1CS0W short long abort log
c6t3d0 250 GB rpool mirror ONLINE S:0 H:0 T:0 ST3250318AS sat,12 PASSED 48 °C 6VY1E18A short long abort log
c9t5000C5004FA34CA9d0 4001 GB ZFS raidz ONLINE S:0 H:0 T:0 ST4000DM000-1F2168 sat,12 PASSED 42 °C Z3005HQP short long abort log
c9t5000C5004FB8D4C1d0 4001 GB ZFS raidz ONLINE S:0 H:0 T:0 ST4000DM000-1F2168 sat,12 PASSED 45 °C Z300630V short long abort log
c9t5000C5004FB917D0d0 4001 GB ZFS raidz ONLINE S:0 H:0 T:0 ST4000DM000-1F2168 sat,12 PASSED 46 °C Z3006R35 short long abort log
c9t5000C5004FBBA37Fd0 4001 GB ZFS raidz ONLINE S:0 H:0 T:0 ST4000DM000-1F2168 sat,12 PASSED 43 °C Z3006MFY short long abort log
c9t5000C5004FBBCACDd0 4001 GB ZFS raidz ONLINE S:0 H:0 T:0 ST4000DM000-1F2168 sat,12 PASSED 42 °C Z3006M23 short long abort log
c9t5000C5006088312Cd0 4001 GB ZFS spares AVAIL S:0 H:0 T:0 ST4000DM000-1F2168 sat,12 PASSED 47 °C W300890J short long abort log
c9t50014EE002FF4891d0 2000 GB ZFS2 raidz ONLINE S:0 H:0 T:0 WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0 sat,12 PASSED 68 °C WDWMAY03947695 short long abort log
c9t50014EE003205DB2d0 2000 GB ZFS2 raidz ONLINE S:0 H:0 T:0 WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0 sat,12 PASSED 65 °C WDWMAY04063154 short long abort log
c9t50014EE0AD3B3F59d0 2000 GB ZFS2 raidz ONLINE S:0 H:48 T:112 WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0 sat,12 PASSED 63 °C WDWMAY01042874 short long abort log
c9t50014EE20800E9E9d0 2000 GB ZFS2 raidz ONLINE S:0 H:0 T:0 WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0 sat,12 PASSED 53 °C WDWCAY01150526 short long abort log
c9t50014EE25D8C2AD7d0 2000 GB ZFS2 raidz ONLINE S:0 H:0 T:0 WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0 sat,12 PASSED 59 °C WDWCAY01350807 short long abort log
c9t500A0751032C695Ad0 256 GB SSDZ mirror ONLINE S:0 H:0 T:0 M4-CT256M4SSD2 sat,12 PASSED 0 °C 000000001202032C695A short long abort log
c9t500A075108FF8696d0 256 GB SSDZ mirror ONLINE S:0 H:0 T:0 M4-CT256M4SSD2 sat,12 PASSED 0 °C 00000000114808FF8696 short long abort log
c9t500A07510909439Fd0 256 GB SSDZ mirror ONLINE S:0 H:0 T:0 M4-CT256M4SSD2 sat,12 PASSED 0 °C 0000000012170909439F short long abort log
c9t500A0751090943B4d0 256 GB SSDZ mirror ONLINE S:0 H:0 T:0 M4-CT256M4SSD2 sat,12 PASSED 0 °C 000000001217090943B4 short long abort log

My Dell C6100 came on by itself and created all types of heat, I'm surprised my ZFS2 pool is running. Sigh...

Last edited:
Does OmniOS support rsync?

I used autofs to mount an NFS share from one of my other servers, and I'd like to use rsync to auto-backup certain directories from one of my pools. I tried adding this as a new "Other" job from within napp-it:

rsync -a --delete /pool01/Data/Pictures /mnt/nas/Backups/OmniOS/Pictures

However, that's not working. When I try to run the rsync command on the server I get an error that the service doesn't exist. Showing all the services:

svcs -a | grep rsync

returns nothing.

napp-it ver.: 0.9c1 nightly Jun.06.2013.
O/S ver.: SOLARIS 11.1

1) I can receive emails for job "status to -> Info", but do not receive any email for job " alert to -> Disk,Low,Job".

2a) Does napp-it install hdparm or other drive power management software?
-OR-
2b) How do I disable drive power management features on OS boot (AAM, APM & drive spin down)?
-OR-
2c) Does the other OSol (SmartOS, OmniOS & other) clones come with hdparm or other (advanced) drive power management software?

3) How do I setup a job in napp-it (or SOLARIS) to send an email alert, immediately when a drive fails or a pool is degraded (with drive & pool specific information)?

4) How do I setup a job in napp-it (or SOLARIS) to send me emails weekly/bi-weekly, with S.M.A.R.T. data of drives? (Hopefully this can be done as one email for each drive.)

5) Setup email notifications sent sen't immediately after (APC) UPS events (like brownouts, blackouts, over/under voltage etc) occur?

6) Lastly, I still cannot set CIFS/SMB permissions for USER1 to 'Full Access' & USER2 'Read-only Access' to the same shares! I have already tried this from within windows, as per _Gea's suggestions, but this method has not worked so far.

I have solved the following two endemic problems, after almost a year of struggling:
a) SSL/TLS email for email notifications/alert.
b) APC UPS driver compilation & installation. Now I can finally monitor (currently, only locally) & (have the system respond to) power events properly.

Back