OpenSolaris derived ZFS NAS/ SAN (OmniOS, OpenIndiana, Solaris and napp-it)

My OI log is getting filled up with messages about the vmxnet adapter:
Code:
Aug 26 09:25:51 oizfs01 last message repeated 1 time
Aug 26 09:25:51 oizfs01 vmxnet3s: [ID 654879 kern.notice] vmxnet3s:1: getcapab(0x200000) -> no
Aug 26 09:25:51 oizfs01 last message repeated 1 time
Aug 26 09:26:21 oizfs01 vmxnet3s: [ID 654879 kern.notice] vmxnet3s:0: getcapab(0x200000) -> no
Aug 26 09:26:21 oizfs01 last message repeated 1 time
Aug 26 09:26:21 oizfs01 vmxnet3s: [ID 654879 kern.notice] vmxnet3s:1: getcapab(0x200000) -> no
Aug 26 09:26:21 oizfs01 last message repeated 1 time
Aug 26 09:26:51 oizfs01 vmxnet3s: [ID 654879 kern.notice] vmxnet3s:0: getcapab(0x200000) -> no
Aug 26 09:26:51 oizfs01 last message repeated 1 time
Aug 26 09:26:51 oizfs01 vmxnet3s: [ID 654879 kern.notice] vmxnet3s:1: getcapab(0x200000) -> no
Aug 26 09:26:51 oizfs01 last message repeated 1 time
Aug 26 09:27:21 oizfs01 vmxnet3s: [ID 654879 kern.notice] vmxnet3s:0: getcapab(0x200000) -> no
Aug 26 09:27:21 oizfs01 last message repeated 1 time
Aug 26 09:27:21 oizfs01 vmxnet3s: [ID 654879 kern.notice] vmxnet3s:1: getcapab(0x200000) -> no
Aug 26 09:27:21 oizfs01 last message repeated 1 time

Looks like they can be ignored but can't be good that the logs are filling up like that..

Last edited:
Thank you! Any Idea or guideance how I could achive this?

FYI: vmware.log says that Hardware Virtualization (AMD-V) is used...

Hmm, sorry maybe my post was a bit confusing.
ESXi does not use software emulation for CPUs in guests, that is why every
guest on the same host should see the native CPU model (and all of if its features).

But your Solaris and OI guests report quite different features.
So maybe ESXi is already set-up to tune the features?
ESXi can manage the features visible with EVC, so that different hosts appear to have the same CPU model.
See heree http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mi...ernalId=1003212&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_KB_1_1
and here http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mi...nguage=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1005764

...it also might be a "feature" from the guest kernels.
Maybe you should report and ask this in vmware forum directly.

you can replace the log with an equal/larger disk (napp-it menu disk replace)

or
remove the log (menu disk remove)
add any new log (menu add vdev)

or the according CLI commands without napp-it

Thanks, added a new SSD and pool is now back online!
Small question though....does one allways have to go into the napp-it menu to shutdown the server or can I just push the power button? My server is used for storing media and doesn't have to be on 24/7!

TY

Small question though....does one allways have to go into the napp-it menu to shutdown the server or can I just push the power button? My server is used for storing media and doesn't have to be on 24/7!

TY

You can shutdown by pressing the power button or you can setup a shutdownjob
to automatically shutdown ex at midnight.

hmm I notice when I delete files on zfs the free space size does not change?

is this due to snaps?

thanks

TY

You can use a script to check the network traffic stats every hour - if the network traffic falls below a set level, you can set it to either power off or put the server to sleep (sleep means very quick wakeups compared to a normal boot, and means the ARC/L2ARC stays warm (though for a media server this is probably not that much of a concern))

Good evening,

Could someone please confirm what the auto service is/does?

I have jobs setup for a scrub, email alerts, email notifs and a few other things (all with their own schedules) so I dont understand the auto.

Thanks
Paul

Hmm, sorry maybe my post was a bit confusing.
ESXi does not use software emulation for CPUs in guests, that is why every
guest on the same host should see the native CPU model (and all of if its features).

But your Solaris and OI guests report quite different features.
So maybe ESXi is already set-up to tune the features?
ESXi can manage the features visible with EVC, so that different hosts appear to have the same CPU model.
See heree http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mi...ernalId=1003212&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_KB_1_1
and here http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mi...nguage=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1005764

...it also might be a "feature" from the guest kernels.
Maybe you should report and ask this in vmware forum directly.

Now I figured out the reason. Using the 148 Build from OpenIndiana, I get the same isainfo -v output as with Solaris 11.

This means, that everything is reported correctly by ESXi, just Solaris 11 doesnt know the CPU. Plausible, if you keep in mind, that Solaris 11 was released in November 10th 2011, while AMD Opterion 4226 was released November 14th.

Is there any Update available for Solaris 11 that could bring support for new CPUs?

Thank you in advance!

cpubenchmark is great for this sort of info: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+Phenom+II+X4+965

FWIW, the FX-6100 does better on the benchmarks.

But for file service you have a lot of other considerations to take into account. Like using decent network interfaces; not crap like Realtek. Or how the underlying drive connections perform, some AMD SATA setups are woefully poor performers in comparison to intel-based ones. Same thing for how the slots are set up if you use drive controllers instead of motherboard stuff.

Or LOTS of RAM so zfs can maintain a lot in it's cache. But that's not as relevant if you're not serving data that would benefit from being cached. Like a lot of media fed out to streaming boxes, the data isn't going to be getting re-used enough to let the cache come into play.

So you have to step back and look at the overall picture, not just the CPU. Because from what I gather a ZFS server isn't really going to require much beyond a single multi-core CPU. Not unless you get into compression, encryption and de-dupe. But there again you're dependent on what sort of data is being served. Unless the data is compressible and duplicative (media generally isn't) then you're not going to gain much using those features. And if you're talking about encrypting a lot of media then that's a whole other discussion.

Reset owner and permissions with
chown -R root:root /Qmedia1/Media1
/usr/bin/chmod -R 777 /Qmedia1/Media1

optionally as root via putty or at local console after su
may help and is needed only when permissions are totally wrong like 000

Usually its a:

1. Create a user with menu user example paul
2. Goto napp-it menu ZFS folder - acl extension - ACL on folders
- select dataset Qmedia/Media1

3. Select reset ACL in the bottom of this page with option modify on folders recursive
Result: everyone=modify, root = full permission on all folders

4. select option: ++ add local user, select paul with full permissions
5. remove everyone@ ACL to allow only root and paul

6. share this dataset with guest disabled, login as user paul.
From Windows permissions, you should see only two users Root (Adminstrator) and paul, both with full permissions

Yo,

I don't understand why I still have problems with file permissions!
I had this problem before but now I'm stuck again on file permissions with files where I get permission denied when I try to move or delete them with some unknown user!
How is it with me as only user I still get problems with permissions? I only use the server as archive with SMB as access from 1 PC. Only have Root and guest enabled with full permissions as I stream using NFS to several media players!
I allready tried again everything but am unable to change permissions on certain files! Plz help....

TY

EDIT 1 : I tried accessing the files via FTP and was able to delete through the user I created with full permissions....so why can't I do the same thing with SMB?

Last edited:
Good evening,

Could someone please confirm what the auto service is/does?

I have jobs setup for a scrub, email alerts, email notifs and a few other things (all with their own schedules) so I dont understand the auto.

Thanks
Paul

Autoservice on/off = all jobs on/off

Yo,

I had this problem before but now I'm stuck again on file permissions with files where I get permission denied when I try to move or delete them with some unknown user!
How is it with me as only user I still get problems with permissions? I only use the server as archive with SMB as access from 1 PC. Only have Root and guest enabled with full permissions as I stream using NFS to several media players!
I allready tried again everything but am unable to change permissions on certain files! Plz help....

TY

EDIT 1 : I tried accessing the files via FTP and was able to delete through the user I created with full permissions....so why can't I do the same thing with SMB?

SMB = access, permission and authentication based on ACL and users
NFS3 = access based on host-ip only,

so both use a different form of permission and authentication

Your options are mainly:
set ACL of the NFS/CIFS share to everyone@=full or modify with inheritance = on
all files that are created afterwards can be edited via CIFS and NFS

For already created files, you must reset ACL/ permissions
(napp-it ACL extension: reset ACL)

or
set the root option for NFS shares

Yo,

TY

You said that you exported and imported your pool, was this on the same machine..?

Autoservice on/off = all jobs on/off

Thanks Gea.

Just trying to figure out why two of my disks keep spinning up - guessing the auto job on 15 minutes runs the checks for the alert email every 15 making them start up - would that sound right?

Sorry by spin up above I mean unpark the heads...I have 2 hitachi 7k3000 2tb's and Hitachi techs say theres no way to disable or increase this time.

Paul

Thanks Gea.

Just trying to figure out why two of my disks keep spinning up - guessing the auto job on 15 minutes runs the checks for the alert email every 15 making them start up - would that sound right?

Sorry by spin up above I mean unpark the heads...I have 2 hitachi 7k3000 2tb's and Hitachi techs say theres no way to disable or increase this time.

Paul

I would just disable autoservice or set alert to daily checks
- and disable the fault manage daemon fmd (svcadm disable fmd)
to check if one of these are a problem for spin down.

You said that you exported and imported your pool, was this on the same machine..?

Yeah , but Gea allready stated that it wouldn't work.
I'm really having problems with permissions and I would like a solution where I never need to change permissions again using SMB! It's really time consuming every time I get 'permission denied' and fustrating! Also when I reset ACL on folder my main Media folder resets but somehow subfolders remain problematic. Structure is like this:

Qmedia : Pool 1
Qmedia : main folder with sub folders
Qmedia1 : Pool 2
Qmedia1: Main folder with sub folders

Even with guest access enabled and with 777+ I still get permission denied! The only solution is to delete all users on a per folder basis and re-add a local user so I can modify or delete!
So this is really making me sweat!

plz

Last edited:
Yeah , but Gea allready stated that it wouldn't work.
The only solution is to delete all users on a per folder basis and re-add a local user so I can modify or delete!
So this is really making me sweat!

plz

By Local user you mean local user on your pc or on your OI machine?
The tests I've done so far have been working when creating local users on the OI machine and then giving these users ACL on folders by mapping a network drive and connecting as user root and then setting the ACL's on the folder by selecting the users of the OI VM.
(further testing is needed but I as far as I can remember I was able to export import the pool to another OI VM and keep my ACLs as long as the same users (with passwords) were present on the new OI VM)

@Gea

I've created a couple of scrub jobs in Napp-IT

But it looks like the scrub of pool 1 last night didn't happen..?
Anywhere I can check why the job hasn't run..?

Last edited:
By Local user you mean local user on your pc or on your OI machine?
The tests I've done so far have been working when creating local users on the OI machine and then giving these users ACL on folders by mapping a network drive and connecting as user root and then setting the ACL's on the folder by selecting the users of the OI VM.
(further testing is needed but I as far as I can remember I was able to export import the pool to another OI VM and keep my ACLs as long as the same users (with passwords) were present on the new OI VM)

Yep, I meant user on OI. As I stream to an NFS client I only use root + guest access with full permissions because I can't enter a username using NFS on my mediaplayer.
My server is centralized and the ethernet cables (cat6) are pretty long so my guess is I'll get stuttering when playing hi-bitrate BD isos with SMB, that's why I use NFS and never had problems with it!
I don't need to export the pools to another machine so that would not help as permissions then stay the same and are also exported.
I use this server as an archive mediaserver and also have an 8-bay NAS I'm using as a temp server from which I move data to the OI server and also from my PC....but somewhere permissions get messed up!
I just want to be able to connect to my OI server and neve have those permissions problems!

@Gea

I've created a couple of scrub jobs in Napp-IT

But it looks like the scrub of pool 1 last night didn't happen..?
Anywhere I can check why the job hasn't run..?

autojob service is disabled = all jobs are disabled

Yep, I meant user on OI. As I stream to an NFS client I only use root + guest access with full permissions because I can't enter a username using NFS on my mediaplayer.
My server is centralized and the ethernet cables (cat6) are pretty long so my guess is I'll get stuttering when playing hi-bitrate BD isos with SMB, that's why I use NFS and never had problems with it!
I don't need to export the pools to another machine so that would not help as permissions then stay the same and are also exported.
I use this server as an archive mediaserver and also have an 8-bay NAS I'm using as a temp server from which I move data to the OI server and also from my PC....but somewhere permissions get messed up!
I just want to be able to connect to my OI server and neve have those permissions problems!

I would:
Never use chmod with Unix prmissions (this disables ACL inheritance)
Reset all ACL recursively on files and folders (napp-it ACL extension, use current version)
to a everyone=modify peermission or do the same from Windows as user root.

You cannot really solve the problem with Unix permissions because
Solaris is like Windows (SID and ACL only)

The key is: allow ACL everyone@ with modify permission and inheritance on, so all
newly created files from CIFS and NFS inherits this permission.

@Gea
Thanks..! enabled the autoservice 15 min. (perhaps easier that this is auto-enabled after you create a scrub job..?)

The length of your cables has nothing to do with stuttering of BD iso's. (always stay below 100 meters with UTP but that's beside the point).
If possible create a new zfsfolder that you share through NFS (or SMB) and play with the permissions to find out what works and what doesn't.

@Gea
Thanks..! enabled the autoservice 15 min. (perhaps easier that this is auto-enabled after you create a scrub job..?)

The length of your cables has nothing to do with stuttering of BD iso's. (always stay below 100 meters with UTP but that's beside the point).
If possible create a new zfsfolder that you share through NFS (or SMB) and play with the permissions to find out what works and what doesn't.

i'll try streaming some BD isos using SMB ... If there are no hickups I'll reset ACL on all the pools ,delete all users except for root and add local OI user with full.permissions. I'll use then these credentials to log in from my PC and mediaplayer.
Resetting ACL will this also effect the archived files as all files need to be reset?

Ty

When i restart or start OpenIndiana 151a5 with Napp-it 0.8h nightly it hangs at boot.

When i press enter it shows the message in the picture.

I tried reinstalling OI and napp it then import the pool again. But after restart / shutdown startup the same thing happens.

Sometimes it comes up after a while other times it just hangs.

openindiana%20error.png

OI Lead quits..
http://openindiana.org/pipermail/oi-dev/2012-August/001563.html

Something to worry about with regards to oi/napp-it/esxi..?

Basiscally I understand the frustration.
While the Solarisworld is quite small, Nexenta, OI and Joyent as the major players
around Illumos were not able to create a base distribution with a common feature set.

Now you have OI, which is mostly used, Illumian with a different packaging system
that lacks most of OI packages (while based on the same bits) and SmartOS with nearly
the same problems. They are only good for their companies to lock out the others.

But I also see the problem, that the efforts to compete outside the storage or virtualization market are in vain.

So is this a sad situation for OI: yes
Is this a problem for a desktop or a general use OI: yes
Is this a problem for ZFS NAS/ SAN/ VM appliances based on OI or other Illumos distris: no

read also the reply from the Illumos people:
http://gdamore.blogspot.fr/2012/08/response-to-alasdairs-resignation.html

When i restart or start OpenIndiana 151a5 with Napp-it 0.8h nightly it hangs at boot.

When i press enter it shows the message in the picture.

I tried reinstalling OI and napp it then import the pool again. But after restart / shutdown startup the same thing happens.

Sometimes it comes up after a while other times it just hangs.

openindiana%20error.png

Unplug all datadisks and try to reboot.
If it will boot then, you have a hardware problem (controller, cable, disk)

Basiscally I understand the frustration.
While the Solarisworld is quite small, Nexenta, OI and Joyent as the major players
around Illumos were not able to create a base distribution with a common feature set.

Now you have OI, which is mostly used, Illumian with a different packaging system
that lacks most of OI packages (while based on the same bits) and SmartOS with nearly
the same problems. They are only good for their companies to lock out the others.

But I also see the problem, that the efforts to compete outside the storage or virtualization market are in vain.

So is this a sad situation for OI: yes
Is this a problem for a desktop or a general use OI: yes
Is this a problem for ZFS NAS/ SAN/ VM appliances based on OI or other Illumos distris: no

read also the reply from the Illumos people:
http://gdamore.blogspot.fr/2012/08/response-to-alasdairs-resignation.html

Thanks Gea,

With this in mind would if you were creating a storage appliance from scratch would you use OI?

Thanks
Paul

I am trying to set NTFS permissions for CIFS/SMB shares, but for some reason failing (& miserably, if I may add).

I want to do the following:
Set NTFS security permissions for a folder, called temp
a] user1 -> modify/full access
b] user2 -> read-only access

Steps to reproduce the problem:
a] Mount CIFS/SMB share using user1 account
b] Create folder temp
- user1 is automatically set as the owner.
- The following groups now have special permission: Everyone, Current Group & Current Owner.
c] Add user2 & give it Read-Only NTFS permission
- This step doesn't work as zfs server users/groups never show up in the list.
- I can only see local (windows) computer user/group objects.
- I have tried logging into zfs server with the admin & root accounts; still only local (windows) computer groups show up.

Config:
Solaris 11 11/11
napp-it v. 0.8k2 nightly Aug.21.2012
Solaris ACL/UNIX permission on local folder (where the 'pool' is mounted) is: 777 / drwxrwxrwx

-----------------------NOT RELATED TO ABOVE-----------------------
OI Lead quits..
http://openindiana.org/pipermail/oi-dev/2012-August/001563.html

Something to worry about with regards to oi/napp-it/esxi..?

Ha ha; man am I glad or what, that I stuck with (evil) Solaris? OI was still in alpha/beta & had lots of bugs when I evaluated it in a VM, right before I built & deployed my storage server.

Last edited:
I am trying to set NTFS permissions for CIFS/SMB shares, but for some reason failing (& miserably, if I may add).

I want to do the following:
Set NTFS security permissions for a folder, called temp
a] user1 -> modify/full access
b] user2 -> read-only access

Steps to reproduce the problem:
a] Mount CIFS/SMB share using user1 account
b] Create folder temp
- user1 is automatically set as the owner.
- The following groups now have special permission: Everyone, Current Group & Current Owner.
c] Add user2 & give it Read-Only NTFS permission
- This step doesn't work as zfs server users/groups never show up in the list.
- I can only see local (windows) computer user/group objects.
- I have tried logging into zfs server with the admin & root accounts; still only local (windows) computer groups show up.

Config:
Solaris 11 11/11
napp-it v. 0.8k2 nightly Aug.21.2012
Solaris ACL/UNIX permission on local folder (where the 'pool' is mounted) is: 777 / drwxrwxrwx

I've also seen this with Windows 2008 R2 when trying to add NTFS permissions to a folder.
Try the following in Windows 7 or XP:
Connect to that smb share by using user ROOT.
Create a new folder (root will be the owner)
Add a user to the NTFS permissions
Instead of adding the user, click advanced and click on FIND NOW
You might be prompted for a username. (enter root and the password)
Users should show up

-----------------------NOT RELATED TO ABOVE-----------------------

Ha ha; man am I glad or what, that I stuck with (evil) Solaris? OI was still in alpha/beta & had lots of bugs when I evaluated it in a VM, right before I built & deployed my storage server.
Is Solaris 11 free to install and receives updates..?

Last edited:
Solaris 11 is free to use, but does not get updates, afaik, unless you have a support contract with Oracle. That's how I understood it.
For my Home NAS, I'm perfectly happy with Solaris 11 11/11 (not Express).

Solaris 11 is free to use, but does not get updates, afaik, unless you have a support contract with Oracle. That's how I understood it.
For my Home NAS, I'm perfectly happy with Solaris 11 11/11 (not Express).

Not quite true !

From http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris11/downloads/index.html

"Production use of Oracle Solaris requires a support contract."

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/licenses/solaris-cluster-express-license-167852.html

LICENSE RIGHTS
Except for any included software package or file that is licensed to you by Oracle under different license terms, we grant you a perpetual (unless terminated as provided in this agreement), nonexclusive, nontransferable, limited License to use the Programs only for the purpose of developing, testing, prototyping and demonstrating your applications, and not for any other purpose.

All rights not expressly granted above are hereby reserved. If you want to use the Programs for any purpose other than as permitted under this agreement, including but not limited to distribution of the Programs or any use of the Programs for your internal business purposes (other than developing, testing, prototyping and demonstrating your applications) or for any commercial production purposes, you must obtain a valid license permitting such use. We may audit your use of the Programs. Program documentation, if available, may be accessed online at

BTW
Price of the Solaris support contract per year is around 1k USD for 1 socket/CPU at non Oracle hardware .

Last edited:
Thanks Gea,

With this in mind would if you were creating a storage appliance from scratch would you use OI?

Thanks
Paul

OI is not dead until its dead.
Now OI only needs a new projectleader.

From all Illumos based systems, OI is the
- most used
- most complete
- most bugfree for storage use

yes i would use OI, until the other options like Illumian or SmartOS
are at least at a similar level. But I doubt they ever will be.

Illumian is the base of NexentaStor4 and its not in their interest
to offer features in it that are in payed NS4 or not needed in NS4

SmartOS is a cloudOS and base of the commercial KVM infrastructure at Joyent.
They also have no interest in the features that are currently available in OI

Solaris 11 may be an option but I am under the impression that Illumos is the
place where the real ZFS development is done - not Oracle, the fact that you have to pay for does not matter.

I share the opinion, that Illumos and Nexenta or Joyent behind should care more about OI to
increase the userbase of Illumos. I really hope that the current situation may help to find
a way for a better integration of the three Illumos-based distributions. The problem is, that currently
there is no real cooperation but competition between the distributions Illumian, OI and SmartOS
- a absolute nogo for such a small community. At least the discussion of the packaging of apps
with different repositories behind MUST be ended.

Last edited:
I've also seen this with Windows 2008 R2 when trying to add NTFS permissions to a folder.
Try the following in Windows 7 or XP:
Connect to that smb share by using user ROOT.
Create a new folder (root will be the owner)
Add a user to the NTFS permissions
Instead of adding the user, click advanced and click on FIND NOW
You might be prompted for a username. (enter root and the password)
Users should show up

I followed your instruction & it did not work. I still see groups, but none of the user accounts created specifically to access CIFS/SMB shares! Any other ideas?

Is Solaris 11 free to install and receives updates..?

Nope, no updates. However they might release updated ISOs with bug fixes & assorted software updates, like they did previously with Solaris 10 builds [at least, I certainly hope so]!

Not quite true !

From http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris11/downloads/index.html

"Production use of Oracle Solaris requires a support contract."

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/licenses/solaris-cluster-express-license-167852.html

LICENSE RIGHTS
Except for any included software package or file that is licensed to you by Oracle under different license terms, we grant you a perpetual (unless terminated as provided in this agreement), nonexclusive, nontransferable, limited License to use the Programs only for the purpose of developing, testing, prototyping and demonstrating your applications, and not for any other purpose.

All rights not expressly granted above are hereby reserved. If you want to use the Programs for any purpose other than as permitted under this agreement, including but not limited to distribution of the Programs or any use of the Programs for your internal business purposes (other than developing, testing, prototyping and demonstrating your applications) or for any commercial production purposes, you must obtain a valid license permitting such use. We may audit your use of the Programs. Program documentation, if available, may be accessed online at

BTW
Price of the Solaris support contract per year is around 1k USD for 1 socket/CPU at non Oracle hardware .

Yup, I am certainly "testing, prototyping and demonstrating" Solaris 11 11/11; guess I'm covered by the license.

OI is not dead until its dead.

Development has been extremely slow & progresses at a glacial pace. OI project started almost 2 years ago, but we still don't have any stable release.

Now OI only needs a new projectleader.

From all Illumos based systems, OI is the
- most used
- most complete
- most bugfree for storage use

yes i would use OI, until the other options like Illumian or SmartOS
are at least at a similar level. But I doubt they ever will be.

Yup, without OI [or (evil Oracle) Solaris with the current (less restrictive) licensing] we'll have to start forking up $$$ for NexentaStor. So I would rather not see it dead. Even though Illumos [OpenSolaris kernel] will continue, without the software base of OI it would be quite hard to make any good use of [ever try installing & running a bare kernel, Linux/BSD? Its a PITA, I tell you!].

Illumian is the base of NexentaStor4 and its not in their interest
to offer features in it that are in payed NS4 or not needed in NS4

SmartOS is a cloudOS and base of the commercial KVM infrastructure at Joyent.
They also have no interest in the features that are currently available in OI

Exactly! That guy [project leader who resigned] was right though; OI is a complete OS, with the Illimos kernel & all the software packages [though dated & buggy], drivers from OpenSolaris & even retains the original packaging system. It has much more to offer than the free [read crippled] version of NexentaStor. So I can see where Nexenta people thinks killing off OI or it dying by itself is good for their business. Let me quote Alasdair Lumsden directly here, "we got the Illumian farce from Nexenta, along with their senior staff claiming OI is an existential threat to their continued existence".

Solaris 11 may be an option but I am under the impression that Illumos is the
place where the real ZFS development is done - not Oracle, the fact that you have to pay for does not matter.

I certainly hope you're right; I mean 2+ years since Illumos was forked from OpenSolaris code and we're yet to see any major improvements/new developments on ZFS from this camp. Meanwhile [evil Oracle] Solaris 11 11/11 has fixed/improved quite a few things with ZFS; including, but not limited to, the 1 MiB block & improving support for shares.

While haven't so much as heard a single peep from the Illumos camp about Block Pointer Re-Write functionality being anywhere close to release or even being worked on or of its progress these past few years.

I share the opinion, that Illumos and Nexenta or Joyent behind should care more about OI to increase the userbase of Illumos. I really hope that the current situation may help to find a way for a better integration of the three Illumos-based distributions. The problem is, that currently there is no real cooperation but competition between the distributions Illumian, OI and SmartOS - a absolute nogo for such a small community. At least the discussion of the packaging of apps with different repositories behind MUST be ended.

Yep, pretty much. Nexenta [& maybe Joyent too,] instead of starting a brand spanking new project for NS 5, should have worked on improving OI, then use that as a base to modify or do whatever else needed to create their own products.

But for the reasons I listed above, they [especially Nexenta] might want to see it dead. Let me quote Garrett D’Amore directly here "While OpenIndiana served to carry on the banner of the OpenSolaris distribution, it was obviously a dead end because the desktop wars are over, and even the Linux community could not win."

Quite a ridiculous statement, especially that last part. Who the heck thinks of UNIX [any number of a BSD/Solaris distros] or Linux [UNIX-like] as a desktop OS? Seriously? These OS' are quite user unfriendly, which is exactly why Windows has stuck to the desktop for so long & completely dominates it. However they're much better for specific/specialized tasks [servers], where not only has UNIX stuck to its market share but in some cases have even expanded them [especially Linux] & its all thanks to ludicrous Windows licensing costs [MS is starting to get the message however & seems to be trying to change things around starting with Server 2012 offerings & possibly going forward from here on out].

I mean, just because IO has a version with GUI & the devs label it as the "Desktop" version, doesn't make it so. OI with GUI or no GUI [this is labeled "Server"], its an UNIX OS that has quite a steep learning curve [actually I found it quite a bit easier to learn than any of the BSD distros; if anyone ever tried downloading source & compiling it on Linux, then doing similar things on Solaris will the how much more easier it is to solve dependencies & also compiling those dependencies into binaries].

I think of UNIX/UNIX-like OS's with a GUI as a beginners/learners version, helping complete novices to learn these non-Windows systems. Which then helps with transitioning the said person to the text/GUI-less versions of these OS', after the familiarization process of course.

I followed your instruction & it did not work. I still see groups, but none of the user accounts created specifically to access CIFS/SMB shares! Any other ideas?

Have you installed napp-it?
With the ACL extension, you can set user ACL (free feature)

Yup, without OI [or (evil Oracle) Solaris with the current (less restrictive) licensing] we'll have to start forking up $$$ for NexentaStor. So I would rather not see it dead. Even though Illumos [OpenSolaris kernel] will continue, without the software base of OI it would be quite hard to make any good use of [ever try installing & running a bare kernel, Linux/BSD? Its a PITA, I tell you!].

When OI gets in trouble, the best option may be OmniOS
http://omniti.com/seeds/why-omnios.

I will try to support OmniOS in future beside the other Illumos flavours.

I would:
Never use chmod with Unix prmissions (this disables ACL inheritance)
Reset all ACL recursively on files and folders (napp-it ACL extension, use current version)
to a everyone=modify peermission or do the same from Windows as user root.

You cannot really solve the problem with Unix permissions because
Solaris is like Windows (SID and ACL only)

The key is: allow ACL everyone@ with modify permission and inheritance on, so all
newly created files from CIFS and NFS inherits this permission.

So this what I basically did and I hope it works:

I reset ACL on both my pool main folder with root with full permissions and everyone@modify.
I mapped new network drives from my PC with new credentials root/password

So this would basically now solve my problem?

When OI gets in trouble, the best option may be OmniOS
http://omniti.com/seeds/why-omnios.

I will try to support OmniOS in future beside the other Illumos flavours.

just a suggestion:
I see ZFS on linux activities and users are gaining :D.
those are good for ZFS (specially) and Linux, since "no" real zfs alike on current linux.
oh btrfs is.... well.. in hand of oracle that I am doubtl, they will do extensively development.

managing ZFS on linux would be a good candidate in the future someday, if you need to expand your nap-it,

I am expecting ZFS would be mature enough and bring to kernel disribution.

Back