OpenSolaris derived ZFS NAS/ SAN (OmniOS, OpenIndiana, Solaris and napp-it)

Wouah I am impressed, it solved my problem ! Guess I inadvertently changed some settings during my tinkering.

Thank you so much Gea

Having a spot of bother...

Running latest version but am unable now to delete folders or rename them. Permissions are set to 777 and haven't been altered. I have a folder with movies on a pool and even when login in directly on to the server the folder is empty while from windows I can see several movies. Also I tried to create an new folder but it doesn't let me rename it. It always says permissions not set for guest access but they are set! Never had this problem before and am out of ideas so plz need some help!

ty

Before the latest update I could delete and create from my Win7 PC, now I can't do anything anymore so could use some help...any1 ??? Do I export my 2 pools and reinstall Open Indiana + Napp-it?? I really tried everything else....

Last edited:
Before the latest update I could delete and create from my Win7 PC, now I can't do anything anymore so could use some help...any1 ??? Do I export my 2 pools and reinstall Open Indiana + Napp-it?? I really tried everything else....

Reboot Windows and OI to be sure that not a cached view or open file is your only problem.

Reboot Windows and OI to be sure that not a cached view or open file is your only problem.

It only started today.... and both PC and server have been rebooted several times today!
Could it be that something changed during the last upgrade to 0.8h ?
I can create a folder on my server but can't modify or delete it. When I try to login directly onto OI using IPMI the folder seems empty allthough several movies are in the folder and can be seen from Win7, When I logon using FTP the newly created folders are not shown!
I don't know what went wrong..permissions are set to 777+ and SMB had full access with guest enabled. And most of all nothing has been changed!
Could I try to export my 2 pools and reinstall everything?

EDIT : Just realised that I don't have any problems in my 1st pool and ZFS folder but only on my second Pool and ZFS folder. I also can create and change in the root of the ZFS folder but not inside a folder!! Bizar!

Last edited:
It only started today.... and both PC and server have been rebooted several times today!
Could it be that something changed during the last upgrade to 0.8h ?
I can create a folder on my server but can't modify or delete it. When I try to login directly onto OI using IPMI the folder seems empty allthough several movies are in the folder and can be seen from Win7, When I logon using FTP the newly created folders are not shown!
I don't know what went wrong..permissions are set to 777+ and SMB had full access with guest enabled. And most of all nothing has been changed!
Could I try to export my 2 pools and reinstall everything?

EDIT : Just realised that I don't have any problems in my 1st pool and ZFS folder but only on my second Pool and ZFS folder. I also can create and change in the root of the ZFS folder but not inside a folder!! Bizar!

napp-it does not change os behaviours and there is no change in 0.8h that may affect this. If you have problems you may have several shares with same names or a permission problem (777+ indicates, that there are ACL's, try to reset recursively) or a ZFS property like read only.

You may try to reinstall OS and import pools but because most settings are pool settings, this may not help.

napp-it does not change os behaviours and there is no change in 0.8h that may affect this. If you have problems you may have several shares with same names or a permission problem (777+ indicates, that there are ACL's, try to reset recursively) or a ZFS property like read only.

You may try to reinstall OS and import pools but because most settings are pool settings, this may not help.

You may try changing ownership (chown <your user name> <pool/dataset>).

I have given full permissions to the ZFS folder but nothing works! See screen capture!
I really don't know what to do next!

screenshot029go.png

These settings are only defaults when creating new files and folders.
Your problem may be permissions on existing files and folders.

i would try
- change owner recursively to root example chown -r root root /Media
- change ACL or permissions recursively (chmod -r 777 /Media) or via ACL extension

These settings are only defaults when creating new files and folders.
Your problem may be permissions on existing files and folders.

i would try
- change owner recursively to root example chown -r root root /Media
- change ACL or permissions recursively (chmod -r 777 /Media) or via ACL extension

Sorry but I'm not that smart with those commands...so if I was to export both Pools and reinstall OI+Napp-it and reimport the pools would that solve the problem?

Sorry but I'm not that smart with those commands...so if I was to export both Pools and reinstall OI+Napp-it and reimport the pools would that solve the problem?

no, permissions are kept (stored in pool)
try: napp-it menu zfs folder - acl extension
select folder and reset acl of folders

or enter these commands in napp-it command window (below logout);
chown -R root root /Qmedia/Media (your folder like/pool/zfs, to reset all file owners)
chmod -R 777 /Qmedia/Media (reset all permissions to full for everyone)

or login as root from Windows and reset permissions recursively (not possible with any Windows/ Solaris config)

Hi,
Running napp-it on OI 151a_3 ... I used Jobs->scrub-create autoscrub job to set up a weekly scrub of my two pools. After hitting the submit button, no jobs show up in the Jobinfo table at the top of the page. When I do similar for email the submitted email jobs *do* show up in the Jobinfo table. Any ideas why the autoscrub jobs do not appear in the table?

Thanks,
--peter

chown -R root root /Qmedia/Media (your folder like/pool/zfs, to reset all file owners)

or login as root from Windows and reset permissions recursively (not possible with any Windows/ Solaris config)

if I may make a suggestion, for finer control of permissions use the following:

Once you've chown to the user/group you'd like, execute the following:

find /Qmedia/Media -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
find /Qmedia/Media -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;

This will give the directories user-rwx group-rx world-rx and files user-rw group-r world-r. This way you needn't worry about users other than yourself modifying files.

If there are other users you'd like to have r/w control add them to your user group and change the commands to the following:

find /Qmedia/Media -type d -exec chmod 775 {} \;
find /Qmedia/Media -type f -exec chmod 664 {} \;

dirs: user-rwx group-rwx world-rx
files: user-rw group-rw world-r

chmod works like this:

user/group/world

so, 777 gives rwx to everyone. For a single-user system this really isn't a problem. But sometime's it's beneficial to have a folder where one can't accidentally delete something. But, snapshots usually save one's behind in those cases.

here's a little cheatsheet:

7 - rwx
6 - rw
5 - rx
4 - r
3 - rx
2 - w
1 - x

The sum of the permissions gives the permission flag. As you can see for rw (4+2) gives 6.

But to echo Gea: reinstalling will not correct your permissions issue as they are stored with the file system/dataset.

Thanks for all the help but that didn't help....after some further testing and analysis it could be Win7 problem! I tried all commands you gave me but that didn't work. Then I tried to delete the files through my Dune media player which uses NFS and guess what...I could delete it. I use Synctoy to synchronize some folder which are on a temp QNAP NAS to my server and this all started when I wanted to delete a folder on my OI server after a synchronisation. When I select the folder or even my Media1 ZFS folder and go to properties/security there is an unknown account which starts with s-1-5-21-etc... When I try to change it I get access denied, even tried to uninstall Synctoy but still no luck
So will keep on looking!

EDIT1 : When I type chown -R root root /Qmedia1/Media1 I get no such file or directory! Also when I select properties in Win7 of my Media1 ZFS folder and select properties/security I can see that the unknown account has full access and OI user/group have none! I cannot delete the unknown account!
EDIT2 : I managed to delete the unknown account but ownership of Media1 is still stuck to S-1-5-21-3401625081-2534525586-2340204286-1000 and cannot change it within Win7 to administrator!

screenshot030w.png
screenshot031t.png

Last edited:
^ try chown -R root:root /Qmedia1/Media1

Keep in mind that only root will be able to access the share until chmod is executed.

^ try chown -R root:root /Qmedia1/Media1

Keep in mind that only root will be able to access the share until chmod is executed.

Applied both commands( chown -R root:root /Qmedia1/Media1 and chmod -R 777 /Qmedia1/Media1) but when I check Media1 folder ownership is still stuck to S-1-5-21-3401625081-2534525586-2340204286-1000 and cannot delete or change anything...am really at a loss here!

Applied both commands( chown -R root:root /Qmedia1/Media1 and chmod -R 777 /Qmedia1/Media1) but when I check Media1 folder ownership is still stuck to S-1-5-21-3401625081-2534525586-2340204286-1000 and cannot delete or change anything...am really at a loss here!

Try changing ownership to the Windows admin user, open a terminal on server (not on napp-it), become root (su <ENTER, then password) type:

# chown <win admin name> /Qmedia1/Media1

Type cat /etc/pam.conf and check if it has the line (usually the last one):

other password required pam_smb_passwd.so.1 nowarn

If not, you can use the nano editor to edit the file and add that line, to do that type:

# nano /etc/pam.conf

After adding the line use CTRL+O and <ENTER> to save it and CTRL+X <ENTER> to exit the editor.

Set again the windows admin password (just to make sure the passwd file above has it). On the terminal type:

# passwd <win admin name>

Log into windows using the win admin user and password you configured and check how it goes.

Reset owner and permissions with
chown -R root:root /Qmedia1/Media1
/usr/bin/chmod -R 777 /Qmedia1/Media1

optionally as root via putty or at local console after su
may help and is needed only when permissions are totally wrong like 000

Usually its a:

1. Create a user with menu user example paul
2. Goto napp-it menu ZFS folder - acl extension - ACL on folders
- select dataset Qmedia/Media1

3. Select reset ACL in the bottom of this page with option modify on folders recursive
Result: everyone=modify, root = full permission on all folders

4. select option: ++ add local user, select paul with full permissions
5. remove everyone@ ACL to allow only root and paul

6. share this dataset with guest disabled, login as user paul.
From Windows permissions, you should see only two users Root (Adminstrator) and paul, both with full permissions

Thanks for the response, will follow your advice when I get back from work this evening!
Worst case if I don't find a sollution would someone of you guys be willing to fix it login in with teamviewer?

Ty

the SID you're seeing as the unknown owner is most likely the local user that has ownership and because there's no mapping between the SID and the UID that's why you see that. All permissions and ownership will have to be chanced on the local computer as windows will not be able to reset either because of how permissions are stored.

Have you created your local users that mimic your windows users? Are the passwords the same? Has that user been grated permission on the file system and through an ACL?

Thanks for the response, will follow your advice when I get back from work this evening!
Worst case if I don't find a sollution would someone of you guys be willing to fix it login in with teamviewer?

Ty

If you create a user called paul as suggested don't forget to enable it with smb. On a terminal on the server, as root, issue the command:

# smbadm enable-user paul <ENTER>

then,

# passwd paul <ENTER>

After setting paul's password chown paul /QMEDIA1/MEDIA1, and chmod 777 /QMEDIA1/MEDIA1.

If you create a user called paul as suggested don't forget to enable it with smb. On a terminal on the server, as root, issue the command:

# smbadm enable-user paul <ENTER>

then,

# passwd paul <ENTER>

After setting paul's password chown paul /QMEDIA1/MEDIA1, and chmod 777 /QMEDIA1/MEDIA1.

These steps are only needed if you do not use napp-it.

If you use the napp-it user menu to create a user and to give him a password,
you do not need these additional steps at CLI. You also do not need to set ownership.
Its enough to give paul full access to the shared dataset via ACL-extension.

These steps are only needed if you do not use napp-it.

Sure, that's why I told him to use the terminal, there always is a possibility that his napp-it install is not working properly.

What I said is just an alternate way to try fixing his problems.

So I'm going from my all-in-one based on OpenIndiana to a separate physical NAS, should I try NexentaStor now considering 4.0 is based on Illumian and coming soon?

Reset owner and permissions with
chown -R root:root /Qmedia1/Media1
/usr/bin/chmod -R 777 /Qmedia1/Media1

optionally as root via putty or at local console after su
may help and is needed only when permissions are totally wrong like 000

Usually its a:

1. Create a user with menu user example paul
2. Goto napp-it menu ZFS folder - acl extension - ACL on folders
- select dataset Qmedia/Media1

3. Select reset ACL in the bottom of this page with option modify on folders recursive
Result: everyone=modify, root = full permission on all folders

4. select option: ++ add local user, select paul with full permissions
5. remove everyone@ ACL to allow only root and paul

6. share this dataset with guest disabled, login as user paul.
From Windows permissions, you should see only two users Root (Adminstrator) and paul, both with full permissions

Yo,

Back from work! Once again thanks for all the replies! So here I go....
1.Did the chown -R root:root /Qmedia1/Media1 guess it worked
2.Did the /usr/bin/chmod -R 777 /Qmedia1/Media1 and guess it worked too
3.I allready have user named BuDDHa with password
4.Selected dataset Qmedia/Media1 in ACL extention SMB folder
5.Reset the ACL with folder recursive BUT then it goes BAD! A whole list of errors!

screenshot033p.png

EDIT: I carried on and added the user BuDDHa and deleted everyone except root and it WORKED :) I can delete and modify all folders and files again, maybe it should be better to do the same on Qmedia/Media too!
EDIT 1: Having a problem with NFS now on my Dune media player which cannot access the Media1 share anymore on the server....using NFS! :(

Last edited:
Reset permissions recursively is not really needed because you have full permissions on the shared parent folder but
this seems to be a character set problem of file names.

This is one of the remaining problems when using a NAS between Web (napp-it), Solaris, Linux
Apple and Windows - especially when using scripts. There is only one rule about filenames if you want to avoid problems:

No problem with 127 bit ASCII characters
Often a problem with other characters -avoid-
Always a problem with /\:?' -never use-

Last edited:
Reset permissions recursively is not really needed because you have full permissions on the shared parent folder but
this seems to be a character set problem of file names.

This is one of the remaining problems when using a NAS between Web (napp-it), Solaris, Linux
Apple and Windows - especially when using scripts. There is only one rule about filenames if you want to avoid problems:

No problem with 127 bit ASCII characters
Often a problem with other characters -avoid-
Always a problem with /\:?' -never use-

Thanks alot for the help. I enabled guest access again and works fine now!
Am able to connect to the server again using NFS on my Dune....so all is well.
Allthough when I check the security tab the unknown user still is there but I don't care as long I can delete and modify files on the server from my PC!

last point you should know

NFS3 restricts access based on host ip and unix permissions
CIFS/SMB works like Windows: ACL only

If you restrict access to a special ACL user, NFS will no longer work until you allow user nobody or ACL everyone@
or set NFS share options to allow access for a special host ip

Easiest way is to use SMB always and only

Last edited:
Does the 4K sector and TLER issues still affect WD Green 3TB drives when using OI/ZFS ?

Does the hdd spindown work in OI ?

Hey liam137,
Thanks for checking back on this. Unfortunately, I could not make any progress as I didn't get back my mobo yet. Apparently, they've sent it in to the supplier in the Netherlands (I'm from Europe) to have it "repaired"... I don't know what to expect... maybe a plant in the middle of nowhere with lots of people re-soldering mobo's... :) Well, I will be selling it on ebay anyway when it gets back, as I decided that I want to use SAS as well, and therefore I ordered a Supermicro X8SI6-F. That will give me 8 additional SAS ports to the 8 ports on the LSI 9211-8i card. So I have ordered the X8SI6-F, but it will not be delivered before May 11th. :(
BTW the LSI card has been exchanged in 3 days, now waiting on my desk to be flashed again with the IT firmware. Also, did you see there's a new version P13?

I took out every single drive of my setup (7 Samsung 1 TB) and had them tested in another computer with the Samsung (Seagate really) testing tool. I also took the long tests, looked at SMART data... NOTHING. Since it affected over time all my disks in a rather random sequence, I assume it has nothing to do with the disks.

I have not looked in "fmadm faulty" for PCIe errors. I have switched slots out of pure desparation, and it got a lot better (not perfect though).

How did you measure the transfer rates? I have never managed to get Bonnie running... and the dd stats were very odd, but I don't remember them by heart. NEVER that high, I would be very satisfied with this. I just remember that copying from Windows 7 onto the NAS dropped quickly down to 10 MB/s and stayed there or even below it. It took me AGES to copy my 2+TB of data onto it...

My Setup will be
Supermicro X8SI6-F mobo with LSI2008 SAS-Ctrl for SAS Drives
Xeon L3426 (low power consumption)
12 GB of RAM, maybe upgrading to 24 once everything works as expected
LSI 9211-8i for SATA-Drives
7 x 1TB Samsung SATA

I did not quite understand what you mean by "phase" 10, 11, 12? Also I did not understand exactly what you mean with the multipathing? Can you please elaborate?

As for the Support question, I would never ask Oracle for support. This entire thing is pretty specific to home NAS'es and I doubt they will support you with this. Especially if it does not run on SUN hardware. Best thing would be if _Gea would offer some (paid) support, but I doubt he has time for this... _Gea?

About the Power Supply, I think you should check if it has enough power to supply that many devices. Maybe try connecting less disk drives. If your power supply does not have enough power to "feed" all devices accordingly, it can create very odd behaviour.

Best regards,

Cap'

Well, Captain, I may have some bad news for us. I feel the problem is with the samsung drives. I replaced the motherboard with new-old-stock (with Sun stickers on it no less) and a new 9211-8i hba. Before the install was even finished I saw errors with one of the drives and the install wouldn't progress. I'm going to play with different firmware versions before moving on with the 'great parts swap'.

Cheers,
Liam

Hello again guys,

I currently another more minor issues since to move to Solaris 11.

Little background again: following my reinstallation, I decided to switch from SMB to NFS file sharing protocol (I have only one Windows machine left on my home network, and wanted to make better use of my ZIL device).

So I struggled a little to adjust to the NFS mindset - was initially looking for user accounts and passwords, before learning of the whole UID/GID thing. Consequently, I had to change the UID/GID of my various Macs, but it is now finally working.

Well almost.

My personal share is organised this way:

"Julien" is the main folder. Then several subfolders (Documentation, Books, Backup etc...), with the various files and folders, depending of the subject.

I am sharing the Julien parent folder using NFS, as explained.

However, one of the subfolders ("Books") does not seem to have anything inside when looked into from my Mac, despite the fact it contains tons of files.

Before setting-up NFS, I did chown, chgrp and chmod, with -R, on the parent folder Julien.

My Mac settings: UID is 601 and GID 100.

I created corresponding user on the server, with same UID/GID combination.

All my Julien folder was "chgrp"ed with GID 100, and "chown"ed with user ID 601. Chmod parameter was -R 770.

Following these settings, I should be able in theory to do whatever I want on every file and folder inside the parent "Julien" folder, but it does not work for the files inside the "Books" sub-folder.

What puzzling me is that for another folder ("Documentation", for example) everything appears ok - I can list, modifiy, read. Same permissions are supposed to be shared by both folders (given the recursive chown, chgrp and chmod operations).

Last edited:
Little background again: following my reinstallation, I decided to switch from SMB to NFS file sharing protocol (I have only one Windows machine left on my home network, and wanted to make better use of my ZIL device).

I do not know what you mean with the ZIL but I would say,
NFS is a very little bit faster than SMB and the best if you use it for ESXi but
I would never use it for regular filesharing with different users and platforms
unless you do not care about users but only hosts in a Unix only environment.

The easiest common use filesharing protocal between Macs, Windows and Solaris
is definitly SMB, especially with the Solaris CIFS server and NFS4 ACL. I use it even in
a mainly Mac environment.

Does the 4K sector and TLER issues still affect WD Green 3TB drives when using OI/ZFS ?

Does the hdd spindown work in OI ?

Tler is not needed/ not suggested with ZFS

4k Sector disks are only a problem if they report 512 Byte
otherwise ZFS creates a correct aligned pool with ashift=12
I do not know about the behaviour of the new WD disks ragarding this.

Spindown is supported in OI (you may need to disable fault management (fmd) service)

I do not know what you mean with the ZIL but I would say,
NFS is a very little bit faster than SMB and the best if you use it for ESXi but
I would never use it for regular filesharing with different users and platforms
unless you do not care about users but only hosts in a Unix only environment.

The easiest common use filesharing protocal between Macs, Windows and Solaris
is definitly SMB, especially with the Solaris CIFS server and NFS4 ACL. I use it even in
a mainly Mac environment.

For the ZIL part, it is because NFS is making use of synchronised writes, to the contrary of SMB.

I guess if I could not solve my issue, I will revert back to SMB.

Tler is not needed/ not suggested with ZFS

4k Sector disks are only a problem if they report 512 Byte
otherwise ZFS creates a correct aligned pool with ashift=12
I do not know about the behaviour of the new WD disks ragarding this.

Spindown is supported in OI (you may need to disable fault management (fmd) service)

All 2 TB+ drives on the market using Advanced Format still emulate 512 B sectors. Therefore the issue is still ongoing, and users still need to use the known tricks to avoid problems with ZFS (modified zpool executable with hardcoded ashift=12 or gnop command under BSD environments).

For WD Green, you should use the WDIDLE3 utility to set spinning downtime to max value. If not, disks lifespan would surely take a huge hit.

Last edited:
What is the problem with 2tb drives that report 512b sectors? Just asking, since I have such drive but didn't "format" them with ashift=12.

Matej

What is the problem with 2tb drives that report 512b sectors? Just asking, since I have such drive but didn't "format" them with ashift=12.

Matej

Performance hit under certain circumstances.

Sectors are physically 4K long, but the HDD report them to the OS as 1/8th (512 B).

For example, consequently, the OS could ask the drive to write 512 Bytes of data, because it thinks the physical sectors on the drive are exactly that size. The drive will have to write 4k in total in fact (512 B + 3,5 KB of dummy data). If another demand arrives a little after for the same amount of writes, the drive will write again 4K.

By knowing that physical sectors are 4K long, the OS could have waited a little longer to collect more write demands up to 4K ideally, and write 4K of useful data in perfect world conditions. Regarding above-mentionned example, it could have written 4K, compared to 2x4K.

Of cause my example is a simplification, but it gives you the idea.

Performance hit under certain circumstances.

Sectors are physically 4K long, but the HDD report them to the OS as 1/8th (512 B).

For example, consequently, the OS could ask the drive to write 512 Bytes of data, because it thinks the physical sectors on the drive are exactly that size. The drive will have to write 4k in total in fact (512 B + 3,5 KB of dummy data). If another demand arrives a little after for the same amount of writes, the drive will write again 4K.

By knowing that physical sectors are 4K long, the OS could have waited a little longer to collect more write demands up to 4K ideally, and write 4K of useful data in perfect world conditions. Regarding above-mentionned example, it could have written 4K, compared to 2x4K.

Of cause my example is a simplification, but it gives you the idea.

and there was the non-alignment issue as well ... Well, end of the day, 4k drives under a 8 ashift pool take a performance hit under certain circumstances.

Ogh... Well, as far as I tested, performances are still quite good. But then again, I'm using only 1gbps network card, so network is usually the bottleneck. And I rarely write small files, mostly read of small files(web server SAN).

Matej

Question 1, I'm looking to add 3 x 2TB disks to my pool, knowing that I'll have to rebuild, I was going to start moving stuff off the current to USB for the time being. I have three USB attached to my OI system (as shown) but don't seem to have a way to access them.
vDev - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nzka7m99mmv9tni/W9MGGjHFY5/napp-it_1.psd *Updated*
PoolInfo - https://www.dropbox.com/s/41l0bfl8j6xh721/napp-it_2.jpg

Question 2, If moving these disks into a new case, does the location of where they are physically plugged in matter?

The Pool has a single ZFS Folder that contains folders for backup, mkv, 3d vid, sd vid, software, e-books, etc. Those folders are the ones being copied off. Any advice on how to configure the disks once I rebuild or should i leave it and create a new pool with the three new disks?

Last edited:
Back