OpenSolaris derived ZFS NAS/ SAN (OmniOS, OpenIndiana, Solaris and napp-it)

Hi, I need to move two disk from the onboard controller (amd motherboard) to my new 1068e controller. If I move them with the system off, in the next boot, the will be detected and mounted or the system needs to be resilvered?

thanks

Hi, I need to move two disk from the onboard controller (amd motherboard) to my new 1068e controller. If I move them with the system off, in the next boot, the will be detected and mounted or the system needs to be resilvered?

thanks

I think there's a way to "stop" a pool - freeze it from any more modifications. You'd then move the drives around as needed, and boot up the system. Might have to do some command line work to re-add the drives to the pool. Once done, you could re-enable the pool and it would carry on like normal. This way you shouldn't have to do any resilvering, as all your data is intact.

but for mac os lion which i got last night was only able to access to the root folder of my smb share. can't go any further.... keep prompting no access to the folders in smb share
any idea?

oh Steve what are you doing
Macs than can only connect i.something

In Lion
AFP to current Netatalk server: problem due to new authentication
SMB to Unix SMB server: problem due to change from Samba to new SMB implementation

http://forums.macresource.com/read.php?1,1186081,1191038

untested but published workarounds

AFP:
http://www.alexanderwilde.com/2011/04/os-x-lion-connection-error-with-afp-and-workaround/

SMB
Go to Finder, click on Go->Connect to Server or simply press command + K.
Connect to your server by typing smb://your.ip/hostname or use cifs://your.ip/hostname
Login, and you should be good to go.
Do not use the link in Finder under the Shared category

There is a suggested AFP solution from Jason:
In order to compile DHX2 support in the UAMs of Netatalk 2.2.
You have to install the libgcrypt11-dev from apt-get. Once libgcrypt11-dev is installed,
Netatalk will compile with DHX2 support and in return will allow computers running Lion to login

Last edited:
I got a quick question. I have an All-in-one and when my server got reset I lost 3 out of my 4 VMs. (the oldest remains). Any ideas on how to prevent this? Do I need to use a snapshot feature?

Additionally I get this error whenever I try and install VMWaretools now:

"Call "VirtualMachine.MountToolsInstaller" for object "Ubuntu 11.04" on ESXi "192.168.1.246" failed.
Unable to install VMware Tools. An error occurred while trying to access image file "/usr/lib/vmware/isoimages/linux.iso" needed to install VMware Tools: 2 (No such file or directory). If your product shipped with the VMware Tools package, reinstall VMware ESX, then try again to install the VMware Tools package in the virtual machine.
The required VMware Tools ISO image does not exist or is inaccessible. "

Where is that located or how do I fix it.

Last edited:
Sounds like something in ESXi got corrupted. Probably simplest to remove the controller that has your real VMs on it. Copy the vmdk for the SAN to a storage key (or elsewhere.) Reinstall ESXi. Copy the SAN's vmdk back and recreate the SAN VM. Basically, re-do the ESXi config steps to get the SAN back up, then all the VMs on the SAN datastore will become visible. Select each one's vmx file and add to inventory. I wouldn't trust your current status not to have other messed up things.

- you have to add a user to Solaris not to winXP
- you must connect as root or a SMB user mapped to root to change ACL share-settings from Windows
(does not work with every Windows version like home or ultimate edition)
- or set permissions with napp-it ACL extension for local users (under development)

I'm not sure i'm doing this right.

The problem is that when i connect to the share as root i can't add another user it can't find the user. Its tried with both a user from the domain and a user made in napp-it. When i make another user and try to use that it fails. I don't think the new user i made have the rights for the folder.

I just put in my 1½ years old 2TB hard drives that was running a raid60 before.

Right after i added them i have 9 out of 21 with errors. Should i disconnect them and check then in another PC or is there a way in napp-it to check them?

2tb.png

I just put in my 1½ years old 2TB hard drives that was running a raid60 before.

Right after i added them i have 9 out of 21 with errors. Should i disconnect them and check then in another PC or is there a way in napp-it to check them?

2tb.png

i expect a total disk failure rate of about 3-10% per year with new disks
After say 5 years that will grow significantly

errors on the other hand are quite normal. they are not a problem. if they
become a real problem, the disk will change its state to fail.

But if numbers of errors are increasing suddenly, its a sign of a future failure
of the disk or of another part of the system. In this case you can try the CLI tools
of smartmontools or the manufacturers tools to check a disk

i expect a total disk failure rate of about 3-10% per year with new disks
After say 5 years that will grow significantly

errors on the other hand are quite normal. they are not a problem. if they
become a real problem, the disk will change its state to fail.

But if numbers of errors are increasing suddenly, its a sign of a future failure
of the disk or of another part of the system. In this case you can try the CLI tools
of smartmontools or the manufacturers tools to check a disk

My numbers are nowhere near this bad. With several hundred disks in production, our failure rate is about 1%. Disk failures for us tend to be in the first 30 days, otherwise it may go 5 years without a problem. If the disk doesn't fail in the first few days, then we have pretty good luck with them.

If a drive starts showing errors, we will usually proactively replace it rather than wait for complete failure. Again - maybe 4-5 disks a year for 400+ drives.

I use not that many disks, my experience is up to 20-50 disks of a type
but i have had up to 10% per year drive failures in the past ( desktop type disks or some special types)
with bad disk series and with some newer sandforrce ssd's

I'm not sure i'm doing this right.

The problem is that when i connect to the share as root i can't add another user it can't find the user. Its tried with both a user from the domain and a user made in napp-it. When i make another user and try to use that it fails. I don't think the new user i made have the rights for the folder.

Having the same issue here under a workgroup scenario. I think there's a way to make the users appear through 'idmap' (Services -> SMB -> user mapping). I messed with it for awhile, but wasn't able to get it to work for me.

I was thinking I could create an SMB user from napp-it, and have that same user appear in the Windows ACL screen. Couldn't get it to do that. All I saw when doing a search were a bunch of groups. No users at all listed, not even root.

I use not that many disks, my experience is up to 20-50 disks of a type
but i have had up to 10% per year drive failures in the past ( desktop type disks or some special types)
with bad disk series and with some newer sandforrce ssd's

Gea

All bets are off with SSD's. I think failure rates with SSD's are much higher in the first few days (or DOA). That being said, I think I have only had one SSD (Intel X25E) go bad after the first few weeks. It's probably about time to start replacing some X25E's after a couple years though.. . .

I just finished building a 24 x 3TB media server to replace my 48tb one (about 85% full). I have space for 12 x 3tb more if need be later off the same chassis (36 drive SM chassis with 2 expanders). We regularly use 20-30 of the same types of drives and rarely have issues once into production. We do try and order them 8 at a time from various vendors when spec'ing it out to try and get a few different batch runs (sometimes successful, sometimes not). With large storage needs now and SAS now having the same size as SATA, we've gone toward buying SAS drives exclusively (Constellation ES.2 are my current favorite).

We haven't found a good source of SAS SSD's though. Pliant makes a good drive but quite expensive for what you're getting.

In Lion
SMB to Unix SMB server: problem due to change from Samba to new SMB implementation

AFP:
http://www.alexanderwilde.com/2011/04/os-x-lion-connection-error-with-afp-and-workaround/

SMB
Connect to your server by typing smb://your.ip/hostname or use cifs://your.ip/hostname

Neither AFP nor SMB work for me in Lion. AFP throws an error saying unsupported version. SMB will mount the share, but then tell me that I don't have permissions to access it. The same account (root) works fine in Snow Leopard.

I got Steve Jobbed :(

Having the same issue here under a workgroup scenario. I think there's a way to make the users appear through 'idmap' (Services -> SMB -> user mapping). I messed with it for awhile, but wasn't able to get it to work for me.

I was thinking I could create an SMB user from napp-it, and have that same user appear in the Windows ACL screen. Couldn't get it to do that. All I saw when doing a search were a bunch of groups. No users at all listed, not even root.

Maybe we are doing something wrong? I cant find any step by step or anything like it for doing this.

I had 8 out of my 32 WD RE4-GP 2TB go. most died after 1 year of running 24/7

Last edited:
Maybe we are doing something wrong? I cant find any step by step or anything like it for doing this.

This is an amazing poor failure rate! Did you run them in a sauna or or really hot case?

I don't have any problems using AFP to mount my filesystem directly, I am having problems with time machine backups. Netatalk apparently needs to be upgraded to 2.2. Does anyone have a good how-to on installing it on top of Openindiana without affecting the Nappit?

Thanks!

This is an amazing poor failure rate! Did you run them in a sauna or or really hot case?

They never got over 40 degrees Celsius. I have a friend with about the same failure rate.
I also have 8 1TB seagate disks all 3 have been exchanged by Seagate the rest all have bad sectors.

Neither AFP nor SMB work for me in Lion. AFP throws an error saying unsupported version. SMB will mount the share, but then tell me that I don't have permissions to access it. The same account (root) works fine in Snow Leopard.

You have to install the libgcrypt11-dev from apt-get (on Nexenta, OI= ?). Once libgcrypt11-dev is installed,
Netatalk will compile with DHX2 support and in return will allow computers running Lion to login

The main Problem:
The future of netatalk 2.2 in undecided

Last edited:

In Lion

AFP:

SMB

You have to install the libgcrypt11-dev from apt-get. Once libgcrypt11-dev is installed,

hi gea

the funny thing is...im able to access shares from my windows server 2008 but just not able to access shares on oi :(

i got the same issue :(

i guess i will just leave it as it is....sigh

Last edited:

I'm sure there's a step somewhere that I missed. Still messing with it, if I figure anything out I'll post my solution for it.

Tough about those drives - you buy enterprise drives hoping they can handle the workload.

Hi, First my apology I did not go through the entire thread to see how exactly you construct your filer. Notable thing though,

1. For extensive high density file server build, proper physical housing to reduce vibration and other impacts is very critical (meaning here overall environment to reduce potential impact to minimal)

2. I understand some will argue they buy proper server case.

3. To give you a well-known example. This was reported I think many years ago. I do not have link but I think it is easy for google search.

3.1 I believe it was about someone taking care of Sun storage. Here being about Sun and storage, it is a branded environment with proper build and technical skill I suggest. He discovered that by shouting directly against the storage gear, the I/O monitoring software shown an accompanying impact. [if the reference is wrong, my apology in advance]

3.2 Thus here the point is even for well-provision setup, shouting directly against the storage rack can impact the storage. When you think about home-build, you could be seeing a lot of variation in terms of overall vibration reduction demand.

4. I think some storage gears spend times to design many parts to reduce vibration in high density hard disk storage environment. However, I do not have any example to demonstrate. Perhaps those folks rich in such storage experience can detail.

Cheers

WIll the napp-it installer work with OI?

wget -O - www.napp-it.org/afp | perl works with OI/ SE11 and Nexenta
(netatalk 2.15, has problems with Lion)

the afp22 installer (netatalk 2.2 beta4, needed for Lion) is currently Nexenta only
(tested howto for libgcrypt-dev on OI needed - and i need to buy and install Lion first)

wget -O - www.napp-it.org/afp | perl works with OI/ SE11 and Nexenta
(netatalk 2.15, has problems with Lion)

the afp22 installer (netatalk 2.2 beta4, needed for Lion) is currently Nexenta only
(tested howto for libgcrypt-dev on OI needed - and i need to buy and install Lion first)

If you are putting together a package on the napp-it site for OI afp22, I'll pay for your Lion install. Let me know where to send you a iTunes gift card.

I suggest give up smb, go back to samba, if just use for home NAS
I've try smb for 1 week,
it's really not good for use.
and if I move files from smb directories to not smb directories under the same pool,
smb do copy and delete, not cut and paste, means long long time

and I have more than 200,000 photos,
if one pool have a smb directory,
when remove files to another pool (No smb exist)
it's very slow....
maybe 9MB/s..........
both pool have 6disks raidz2

I suggest give up smb, go back to samba, if just use for home NAS
I've try smb for 1 week,
it's really not good for use.
and if I move files from smb directories to not smb directories under the same pool,
smb do copy and delete, not cut and paste, means long long time

and I have more than 200,000 photos,
if one pool have a smb directory,
when remove files to another pool (No smb exist)
it's very slow....
maybe 9MB/s..........
both pool have 6disks raidz2

i suppoose you are looking for the wrong solution.
While Samba has more featutes like sharing any folder while Kenel-based
SMB server can share only ZFS folder/ datasets as a ZFS property it is slower.

I suppose you have two problems:

A general perfomance issue. With 4 datadisks you should have a raw disk-performance
(check with bonnie or dd) of about 200 MB/s + and a usual SMB performance of about
50-100 MB/s depending of hardware

problems mostly due to:
- bad or not well supported hardware (Realtec nics, some desktop boards)
- bad cabling/ switch problems
- very low RAM (< 1 GB)

Take notice of the difference between a ZFS folder/ dataset and a regular folder in a pool
A ZFS folder is a independant filesystem just like a partition on other filesystems.
A data-move between them is always a copy while a move between folders in the
same ZFS-folder/ dataset is only a change of a pointer and mostly done without delay.

If you want to reorganize your date with best performance, then do it on the server
(with OI, you can use nautilus file browser, on CLI you can use midnight commander.
You will then have raw disk speed)

Last edited:
Hi, First my apology I did not go through the entire thread to see how exactly you construct your filer. Notable thing though,

1. For extensive high density file server build, proper physical housing to reduce vibration and other impacts is very critical (meaning here overall environment to reduce potential impact to minimal)

3. To give you a well-known example. This was reported I think many years ago. I do not have link but I think it is easy for google search.

3.1 I believe it was about someone taking care of Sun storage. Here being about Sun and storage, it is a branded environment with proper build and technical skill I suggest. He discovered that by shouting directly against the storage gear, the I/O monitoring software shown an accompanying impact. [if the reference is wrong, my apology in advance]

3.2 Thus here the point is even for well-provision setup, shouting directly against the storage rack can impact the storage. When you think about home-build, you could be seeing a lot of variation in terms of overall vibration reduction demand.

4. I think some storage gears spend times to design many parts to reduce vibration in high density hard disk storage environment. However, I do not have any example to demonstrate. Perhaps those folks rich in such storage experience can detail.

Cheers

My 2TB disks was placed in a Lian LI 343 not really proper server case. My new case is supermicro and a real server case. But I'm not really sure it has anything to do with that. I don't really know if my SM case does anything to reduce vibrations but it is a lot more robust. I guess time will tell if there is a difference.

My 1TB disks where placed in a Chieftec tower case. one with only 5 disks not really something that can create a lot of vibrations.

If you are putting together a package on the napp-it site for OI afp22, I'll pay for your Lion install. Let me know where to send you a iTunes gift card.

you may test the afp22 installer now with all supported platforms (NexentaCore, OI and SE11)
(i have tested it only against Snow)
wget -O - www.napp-it.org/afp22 | perl

please report problems or success

ps
if it works and you like it, you may donate at napp-it.org
;-)

update 26.7.:
newest available netatalk version 2.2.0p6 from

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/[email protected]&forum_name=netatalk-admins
http://www.netafp.com/downloads/changelog/

wget -O - www.napp-it.org/afp22p6 | perl

Last edited:
- you have to add a user to Solaris not to winXP
- you must connect as root or a SMB user mapped to root to change ACL share-settings from Windows
(does not work with every Windows version like home or ultimate edition)
- or set permissions with napp-it ACL extension for local users (under development)

Can you please tell me how step by step? I simply can't figure this out.

Cheers

and that would be

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDacjrSCeq4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDacjrSCeq4[/ame]

.;)

- Nexenta or OI/SE11?
- Have you also tried Time Machine?

Sorry for the lack of info earlier

im on OI + napp-it.....basically my afp was off all the while as i was only using smb..... until ytd....i tried turning it on.....voila! connect afd://serverip and im in to the same share folder as smb....now my folders are alittle messy with all the apple folders ....im thinking probably i shouldn't mix the afp and smb on the same drive?

i'm in the process of buying new hardware, i only need some confirmation before i hit the order button ;)

system: Supermicro X9SCM-F with the Intel Xeon E3-1220L Boxed
(instead of the Supermicro X8SIL-F)

i choose the 1220L for low power consumption.
server for at home running multiple VM's ( esxi 4.1 VT-d). mainly serving video for XBMC. and webserver/mysql
with OI + napp it for storage of course.

with 16gb mem. 2x KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G (not sure yet)
please help me :)

Last edited:
New: NexentaCore 3.1 with zpool V. 28 avalable

update via:
apt-get update
apt-clone upgrade

Back