OpenSolaris derived ZFS NAS/ SAN (OmniOS, OpenIndiana, Solaris and napp-it)

shanester

Weaksauce
If you want Timemachine support via SMB on OmniOS, you must

- update to OmniOS 151034 stable due SMB3 and some Apple extras
- share a filesystem and enable oplock (napp-it Services > SMB > property)
- enable Bonjour + Timemachine + Multicast in napp-it menu Services > Bonjour

https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...on-napp-it-with-smb-shares.16309/#post-260246
Thanks....I had read that thread yesterday, not realizing the OmniOS 151034 requirements.

From a logging perspective, making changes via Napp-It shows the commands/processing at the bottom of the screen. Is this logged elsewhere?

_Gea

2[H]4U
The last stable 151032 would be ok too but not 151030.

About the logging
This is not done to disk but you can enable "edit" in the toplevel menu (napp-it Pro). You then see a new toplevel menu item "log" that shows the actions on last menu call.

WishYou

n00b
Hi _Gea!

I think I found and issue with the new(?) SMART attribute view in the listing, a very nice feature btw.
It works for attr 5 (Reallocated sectors) but not for 197 (Pending sector reallocations).

See screenshots from two separate installs (I gotta get some new disks :cautious:):

1596618408089.png

1596618436541.png

Working example for ATTR 5

1596618497382.png

1596618473950.png

Regards,
Wish

drescherjm

[H]F Junkie
CurrentPendingSector are 24 sectors that had data but the drive can not read.

Reallocated sectors are a problem if the number grows. I have had a few drives at work with this number stable for 5+ years but if it grows daily or weekly its usually a very bad sign.

_Gea

2[H]4U
update

The problem is in /var/web-gui/data/napp-it/zfsos/_lib/illumos/get-disk-smart-bg.pl line 251
$k="smart_197"; should be $k="smart_198";

I have updated 19.12 and 20.06/dev

Last edited:

CopyRunStart

Limp Gawd
Hey _Gea, hope you're doing well.

I'm wondering if you've ever run any tests in napp-it with several hundred ZFS Datasets. I like to have my data very modular/packable/moveable so I have automated the creation of new datasets for every new task we work on. I've accumulated several hundred datasets and have noticed that I am now unable to load the "ZFS Filesystems" page in napp-it. At the bottom of the page I can see it's loading but the page never generates.

I'm using napp-it 18.12s on Solaris 11.4 with plenty of CPU and RAM to play with. The pool is 30x 7200RPM drives.

Code:
zfs list -o all
loads instantly via command line.

_Gea

2[H]4U
I suppose, the problem is not the listing of the filesystems but the listing of all properties in menu filesystems, some are zfs properties, some are filesystem properties like acl permissions.

What you can try is comparing a current napp-it pro 20.06 with acceleration enabled. This will get those properties in tha background. You may need an evalkey from https://www.napp-it.org/extensions/evaluate_en.html to update.

If it gives the same result, you can go back to 18.12 in menu About > Update.

_Gea

2[H]4U
I have put some work into a ZFS Cloud-Filer concept.
Filer + inhouse S3 Cloud for same files = Cloud-Filer

This is a local ZFS filer where you save, edit and store your primary office, enterprise or school/university/student data in a multiuser environment with authorisation, authentication and filelocking based on SMB with snap protection of previous versions.

This is a different approach to internet/cloud sharing where from a storage view only a sync and share of documents is possible. Beside some webbased tools, you cannot work directly with the files from a cloud.

While it is possible to just enable SMB and a Amazon S3 compatible cloud sharing (minIO) for the same data and ZFS filesystem, this is outside a single/few user scenario the best way to create corrupted files as there is no protection via filelocking or against unwanted overwriting.

My concept is based on two filesystems for data you want to share to the internet, one for SMB and one for S3 sharing to avoid any dependencies. Based on snaps and a one or two way sync on demand or a timetable, newer documents are updated. To avoid that you must store all data twice, dedup is enabled for the two filesystems. To avoid the RAM problems of realtime ZFS dedup, a special vdev is used for the dedup table (ex an Optane DC4801-100 mirror).

For a seemless integration, you need a user/ group/ policy management where you can keep SMB and S3 access in sync, at least on a read/write/readwrite/none access policy. For SMB you can use Windows for user and policy management. For S3 you need a lot of CLI commands, see https://docs.min.io/docs/minio-multi-user-quickstart-guide.html

To make this more usable, I am just integrating user, group and policy management into napp-it, ex policy management based on S3 buckets.

create_policy.png

more details, see (work in progress in current napp-it 20.dev)
http://www.napp-it.org/doc/downloads/cloudsync.pdf

Suprnaut

Weaksauce
I am trying to replace my 6 3TB drives in a Raidz1 pool with 8 TB drives. I was able to replace 2 drives and am working on the 3rd. The 3rd is taking substantially much longer. I've tuned all the resilver properties the same way as the other drives. I've looked at the iostat output and it appears the new drive is only writing at a constant 25MB/s rather than the 100+ MB/sec that the first two drives did. The iostat also said the drive is 97% busy. All the 8 TB drives are identical. Any idea why there would be such a huge discrepancy between the resilvers?

For reference Im using OpenIndiana + NappIt in an all-in-one setup.

_Gea

2[H]4U
I can see three options

- a bad/worse disk ex due bad sectors or another damage.
Check the disk with a disk low level tool ex wd data lifeguard (Windows) and an intensive test

- a bad cabling or backplane (if you use another bay)
Try another cable/bay

- Disks are not really identical, ex the faster are cmr, the slower is an msr model
https://www.servethehome.com/wd-red-smr-vs-cmr-tested-avoid-red-smr/2/

You can also create a basic pool on this disk and another and compare
benchmark results from Pool > Benchmark. If they are different, disks are different or something is bad.

Suprnaut

Weaksauce
I can see three options

- a bad/worse disk ex due bad sectors or another damage.
Check the disk with a disk low level tool ex wd data lifeguard (Windows) and an intensive test

- a bad cabling or backplane (if you use another bay)
Try another cable/bay

- Disks are not really identical, ex the faster are cmr, the slower is an msr model
https://www.servethehome.com/wd-red-smr-vs-cmr-tested-avoid-red-smr/2/

You can also create a basic pool on this disk and another and compare
benchmark results from Pool > Benchmark. If they are different, disks are different or something is bad.
The 3rd disk finished after about 3 days where as the first 2 took about 12 hours. I'm on to the 4th disk and it is going at almost the same slow speed as the 3rd disk. The drives all came in identical packaging and have the same model number. One thing I notice is the slower drives have a SN that starts with 50 and the two drives that went fast their SN start with 80. The two faster disks were purchased from Microcenter and the remaining 4 from Amazon. Below is a screenshot of the current resilver. Note that I didn't go in order so when I say 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th disks Im talking about the order I resilvered in not the order in the zpool.

resilver.jpg

_Gea

2[H]4U
I cannot say if there is a real difference between or if the slower ones are some sort of fake/bad/older/different firmware disks. If all the disks from Amazon with sn 50.. are slower, I would send them back and try to get more from the others with sn 80...