OpenSolaris derived ZFS NAS/ SAN (OmniOS, OpenIndiana, Solaris and napp-it)

Discussion in 'SSDs & Data Storage' started by _Gea, Dec 30, 2010.

1. _Gea

_Gea 2[H]4U

I am not aware of problems with Hipster but to be honest I do not use HD shutdown.
    One thing you need to ensure is that there is no service accessing the disk regularly like a napp-it alert job or the Solaris fault management daemon fmd that you may need to disable

2. spankit

spankit Limp Gawd

I have a RAIDZ2 comprised of 8x 3TB HGST 512 sector drives that have over 6 years of power on time (approx 53200hrs). While I haven't lost a drive yet, I know my days are numbered. The pool was created using ashift=9 and and I know that in the past OI/OmniOS wouldn't let you replace the drive with a modern 4k drive if the pool was configured this way. Do those limitations still exist or do I need to re-create my pool with ashift=12 so that I freely replace my drives when they start to kick the bucket?

3. _Gea

_Gea 2[H]4U

Yes this problem persists (I suppose on any OpenZFS/ZFS).
    And if you can get it working with a 512e disk, this would result in a performance degration

The only proper way is to recreate the pool with ashift=12. With 512n disks this happens when you mix a physical 4k disk in a vdev or if you set this in sd.conf

4. stevebaynet

stevebaynet Limp Gawd

Running OmniOS + Napp-IT 17.01

Been working great so far, but just added 10 new disks (SAS disks connected via LSI 2007 HBA)

OS seems fine, ZFS pools still working, but in Napp-IT, if I click on disks or pools, browser just spins.

minilog
    --- _lib _lib/illumos/get-disk.pl &get_mydisk_format 20 <- admin.pl (eval) 833 <- admin.pl &load_lib 515 <- admin.pl &get_preloads 272 ---

exe(get-disk.pl 86): format

I can root the box and do an iostat or zpool list and it works fine.

Rebooting would be a PITA. any tips on where to check/look?

5. stevebaynet

stevebaynet Limp Gawd

Looks like i spoke too soon. I let the browser spin and spin, wrote the above, came back 5 mins later and it came up. Now when I hit pools or disks it comes up reasonably fast.

Not sure if this has anything to do with it, fairly certain one of the newly added disks is bad (*shakes fist!!*)

Best to update napp-it while I am here lurking?

6. _Gea

_Gea 2[H]4U

It seems that the format command is hanging as this is executed by napp-it to detect connected disks. Try the format command and a zpool list at console to check behaviour. The format command can be ended after listing with ctrl-c

If format or zpool status hang, remove the new disks and insert disk by disk, wait a little and check if format is listing the disk to find a bad disk.

If format is listing all disks but stops at a special disk for a while remove it.
    Update of napp-it to current is an option but would not help as this seems a disk problem.