OpenSolaris derived ZFS NAS/ SAN (OmniOS, OpenIndiana, Solaris and napp-it)

Discussion in 'SSDs & Data Storage' started by _Gea, Dec 30, 2010.

1. jad0083

jad0083 [H]Lite

with the current OmniOS stable (151020) in a VM, what's currently the best NVMe on the market (for prosumers) to use as a passthrough SLOG device?

2. _Gea

_Gea 2[H]4U

You need powerloss protection for the NVMe as an Slog.
    I would check the Intels (P750, P3700 etc)

alternative: use the NVMe as a pool for VMs directly (no Slog or L2ARC needed)

3. seijirou

seijirou n00bie

Installed omnios-r151020-4151d05 over the weekend. Everything seems to be up and working but I'm getting this message when I log in. I saw the notes about doing chmod 666 /dev/null as root but that returns the same error in the console.

Attached Files:

4. _Gea

_Gea 2[H]4U

I had the same problem suddenly.
    The above fix worked for me.

Is napp-it working for you beside that message on login?
    The /dev/null is only needed to send unwanted console messages to.

5. jlbenedict

jlbenedict Gawd

Looking into providing some storage to my 2-node ESXi cluster, via either NFS/iSCSI.
    I have a whitebox that i've been wondering on whether it would have the potential to do this ("home production" use.. )

SuperMicro X7DVL-3, with dual Intel L5410 cpus
    24gb ram
    motherboard has 8 SAS ports via a LSI 1068E (i have this flashed to I.T. mode already).
    dual on-board NICs + an additional 4-port gigabit Intel (6 total)
    All shoved in a Rosewill 4u case, that can hold 12 drives.

??

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  6. _Gea

_Gea 2[H]4U

Do have this box already?
    A lot of energy needed for less CPU power (compared to newer systems), only one pci-e slot and the 1068 is limited to 3G and max 2TB disks

If you can live with that, it should work

7. jlbenedict

jlbenedict Gawd

Yes I do have this , as it is my current lab and media server :)
    I have two ESXi hosts on the way, and I'm on tight budget, so I was hoping to hopefully convert it to storage use only. I'm not looking for top of the line performance. I can deal with the energy need. I'm thinking this box could still be adequate to hold me over on a tight budget.

8. seijirou

seijirou n00bie

Gea,

Yes as far as I can tell everything otherwise works fine. I do not recall having this error immediately after install.. it just crept in at some point a day or two later. The use of /dev/null will work b/c it's currently set 666 (777 on the symlink but that's always reported for symlinks AFAIK). I see the line setting 666 on webpage load. Do you see any harm in commenting that out for now?

I've tried digging but can't find any fix for the error because I can't find any cause. I can't find any extended attributes on the file and ownership is root:root so I don't understand why there's a chown error. I tried to touch /reconfigure and reboot but no different.

9. _Gea

_Gea 2[H]4U

In earlier napp-it releases I send some error messages to /dev/null.
    When I saw this problem first I removed this so current napp-it will work despite a problem with /dev/null

I added then the chmod command on login (hence the message).
    This worked in my setups but it is not needed for operation.

10. seijirou

seijirou n00bie

I fixed it, but I don't know exactly what did it.

It might have been creating /reconfigure and rebooting. I thought that didn't work before but perhaps it did. If anybody else stumbles on this I suppose that's worth a try. I know I did have to to manually run `sudo devlinks` after reboot and logging in as a normal user because I did see an error about /dev/null and saw that it was a regular file. I want to say it was another reboot after that where the problem went away.

Unfortunately I had more than that going on at the time taking my attention so I only noticed the issue went away by accident.

11. _Gea

_Gea 2[H]4U

Its as curious as the problem itself that appears suddenly....

12. mmmmmcoke

mmmmmcoke n00bie

This is probably a crazy question. But, how come there isn't much discussion of using proxmox with napp-it for an all-in-one build?
    I know ESXI has quite a bit of information posted for a Napp-it all-in-one build. (Heck I'm currently running one myself).
    But, I'm just kind of surprised given the growing popularity of Proxmox and the shrinking (very slowly - especially in the actual business world) popularity of ESXI.
    Not tied to ESXI and I'm kind of interested in seeing what Proxmox / Xen can offer but, at the same time the complete void of information is making me wonder if I'm missing something. (Like not even posts of how terrible proxmox & napp-it might be together)

13. ZzBloopzZ

ZzBloopzZ [H]ard|Gawd

Dear Gea,

I hope all is well! I am still on R151014 using ESXi 5.5. Was thinking to update to latest 6.0 of ESXi.

Since there have been so many changes with OmniOS, think I should do a fresh VM of R151020 or should I just update the R151014 following the instructions? I am aware about switching over to OpenSSH before updating per release notes. Just wondering if I am better off just doing a fresh install/VM?

Thanks!

14. _Gea

_Gea 2[H]4U

The current hype is lightweight container based virtualisation for Linux guests.
    This is something that a type-1 hypervisor like ESXi or Xen does not offer, the offer full OS virtualisation (of any guests). In case of ESXi you addionally have the best pass-through and driver support for guest OSs what makes it a perfect base for a storage VM.

If you use Proxmox (or the Illumos distribution SmartOS), you can use ZFS as native filesystem, so you do not need a storage VM if you only want ZFS. This is different if you want a full featured Storage NAS/SAN appliance. In this case you need pass-through to assigne the disk controller and disks to the storage VM.

There are reports (google "proxmox napp-it") who have done this but I have no experience myself about pass-through on Proxmox.. As an alternative you can use ESXi as a base for full virtualisation of any guests and a guest (can be even be OmniOS with LX container or any Linux) for container based virtualisation on top. You only need around 2GB addiotionally for ESXi with a very low impact on performance. The plus with ESXi is the very easy way to reinstall after a crash and to restore VMs by a simple copy on an NFS share.

15. _Gea

_Gea 2[H]4U

You can either update (->151018, switch SSL, ->151020) or
    you can use my ova template with 151020

You may wait to the next 151022 that should be available in Q2

16. danswartz

danswartz 2[H]4U

I bought a couple of Samsung 960 PRO drives to use for a mirrored pool for vsphere guests. Sadly, this drive is TOO new, and being NVME 1.2, is apparently not supported by either Illumos or Solaris 11.3 :(

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  17. _Gea

_Gea 2[H]4U

18. danswartz

danswartz 2[H]4U

Hmmm, that's an interesting idea. Let me check...