OpenShift is Now Generally Available on IBM Z. That’s Kind of a Big Deal…

erek

[H]F Junkie
Anyone excited about this advent?

"“Containers are the next generation of software-defined compute that enterprises will leverage to accelerate their digital transformation initiatives,” said Gary Chen, Research Director at IDC. “IDC estimates that 71 percent of organizations are in the process of implementing containers and orchestration or are already using them regularly.”

The two companies said in a release: “The availability of OpenShift for Z and LinuxONE is a major milestone for both hybrid multicloud and for enterprise computing. OpenShift supports cloud-native applications being built once and deployed anywhere – and now extends this to on-premises enterprise servers such as IBM Z and LinuxONE.”"

https://www.cbronline.com/news/openshift-on-ibm-z

It sounds good, but I am still working on trying to conceptualize how i would move my current 3 tier apps (both COTS and custom web based) to this new "Server-less" architecture approach.

Reactions: erek
like this
the best part is when a container crashes the controlling os and takes them all down.
its not nearly as robust as marketing would lead you to believe ;)

We have it at my work. We have setup the entire platform in Azure. I have not programmed with it myself but it seems pretty cool so far.

the best part is when a container crashes the controlling os and takes them all down.
its not nearly as robust as marketing would lead you to believe ;)

Sure it is, unless you didn't architect it to be robust.

Back