Opening Ports with Linksys router

excessum

n00b
How would I go about opening up ports with a Linksys router? I know how to get to the configuration page by connecting to my router "192.168.1.1" I want to open up ports for other chat programs like AIM and mIRC, since they are closed ports they constantly lag out whenever I am idle. Where would I begin? Which ports are they? How can I find out which ports they are? Linksys said that I have to find out the ports myself and call them, tell them the ports so that they can open them up for me. My friend has opened his ports with the same exact router but hes a clown and doesn't remember how he did it.

Well, what model do you have? And I'd recommend reading the manual since they have this info on it.

Generally, the port forwarding stuff is located under Port Forwarding under the Advanced tab of the web interface (it is for the two I have).

And I'm assuming you do file transfers in AIM (which would require you to poke a hole), and mIRC as well. I know you can specifically set what ports incoming connections are enabled on for those two programs, but you'll have to poke around as I do not use any of those programs.

I find this strange as I didn't need to forward any ports for my messenger services and they work fine. What model are we talking about?

Linksys BEFSX41 4-Port Cable/DSL Firewall Router w/ VPN Endpoint

Thats the model I am using. And the manual that they gave me is extremely small with very little info. They work fine but its just annoying as hell when those messenger services just constantly lag out every 2-5 minutes if I don't use them or go idle for a few minutes. What port numbers do I put in? Thats probably the most confusing part for me since I don't know what to do in this situation.

There was another guy in here last week with the same problem. Im trying to find the thread on it.....

Back