OpenGL 2.0 was released...

OGL2 was released almost a month ago. Not sure when Nvidia will get around to it, bigger question is when ATI will. ;)

we went over this when 2.0 was finalized. Both ATI and NVIDIA have partial support already, 9/16 for ATI and 11/16 for NVIDIA using glview: http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/

glview.png

i'll check the newly leaked 66.31 later today to see if it adds any more functions.

glview only reports extensions, which is a rather poor way to determine ogl version compatability

nV gf 6 line has full support of GLSL (not ARB though)that comes with Ogl 2.0 but with GLSL its possible to do everyting that is done with Dx9c,

Just a theory but I think, ARB will be used less and less maybe used as a back up path for older generation cards. As GLSL is faster (does have a bit slower access time, but rendering wise its a bit faster)

ATi doesn't since they don't have sm 3.0 those are all missing but other then that it too has most of the extension support..

Merlin45 said:
glview only reports extensions, which is a rather poor way to determine ogl version compatability
yeah, but as mentioned above, the NV4x series can handle (i believe) all the capabilities of OGL 2.0. There's no reason to do software emulation in the extension if the card can support the feature in hardware.

without software that requires OGL2.0 (or those particular extensions), there's no way to test how well it's supported anyways.

no, you miscomprehend, the reason that checking extensions isn't a very good way to check ogl compatabilty is that you have no clue whether or not that is done in hardware or software. I am not debating the value of the hardware or drivers, it is glview that I have a poor view of. Besides, if ogl 2.0 is anything like any other ogl version, version dependencies won't matter in about a year anyways as both ATI and Nvidia add proprietary extensions and ARB adds new extensions. the standards for compliancy in OGL are rather nebulous. (namely there are no concrete rules, except for glsl for which there is a parser tester availible)

Merlin45 said:
the reason that checking extensions isn't a very good way to check ogl compatabilty is that you have no clue whether or not that is done in hardware or software. I am not debating the value of the hardware or drivers, it is glview that I have a poor view of. Besides, if ogl 2.0 is anything like any other ogl version, version dependencies won't matter in about a year anyways as both ATI and Nvidia add proprietary extensions and ARB adds new extensions. the standards for compliancy in OGL are rather nebulous. (namely there are no concrete rules, except for glsl for which there is a parser tester availible)

Very true

Back