Openfiler and FreeNAS

k1pp3r

[H]F Junkie
Does anyone know the max volume size that Openfiler and FreeNAS will see?

Volume as in single disk, or RAID total?
In the first case, the only problem might be the issues with 3TB disks (I need to look again to remember what the exact problem was, but I got the impression you'll be fine as long as you're not booting from it.)

As for RAID total, eh - FreeNAS can be set up with ZFS, which is not going to be a limiting factor.

I will be booting from a separate RAID1 volume, my data store i'm looking at 65 TB of data, probably in more than one array

Right. ZFS itself is fine (the lowest limit I could find was the 16 exabyte limit for filesystems). I'm not sure about the ZFS implementation in FreeBSD 7.3 (which I think the newest stable FreeNAS is using), but I'd be surprised if had any limits you'd be anywhere near reaching.

ZFS style, you'd want to set it up as one zpool, containing multiple groups of 3-9 disks.
(And do use the 64-bit version and throw as much RAM on it as you can - but you were probably planning to already.)

Oh, and don't take this as a strong recommendation for anything - I haven't actually set up a 65TB raid myself on either system. :)

Would setting them up in zpool be using software raid? cause i was wanting to stick with hardware raid if i can. With multiple raid arrays

Ah. Yes, zpools in ZFS are a software raid solution - it specifically suggests not using it on top of a hardware raid since you get better performance and a bunch of nice features by letting it handle everything from the disk level. That said, ZFS on one or a few large arrays would work.
If you just want to format a huge volume as UFS2, it's got an 8 zettabyte upper limit - but it would take forever and a day to fsck if you fill 64TB with moderately sized files. If it's a modest number of massive files you should be ok.

Since you don't seem to have run into ZFS, it might be interesting to skim through this: Wikipedia article, Sun's presentation, and their rather information-dense best practices guide.

Last edited:
Sounds good, i'm not familiar with ZFS which i'm still looking into. However, what benifits does the software raid have over hardware with openfiler

Sounds good, i'm not familiar with ZFS which i'm still looking into. However, what benifits does the software raid have over hardware with openfiler

In openfiler? Not sure, I'm not familiar with it (or the software it's using).
The only obvious one is common for all software raids, namely that you're not dependent on any specific hardware. (Convenient if you need to recover from a dead controller card in some years and it's hard to get hold of a new one). There might well be other nice things, but as mentioned I don't know. :)

Back