OpenCL quadfire r290x cooling

watanabe

Limp Gawd
Building a small OpenCL renderfarm/crypto build... I have a mora3 180mm x4 radiator in my basement from an old GTX480 SLI build, was wondering if it'd handle the wattage of 4 290s flashed to 290x's? IIRC the gtx480s put out like 475w each, and I remember the MO-RA handled that fine along with a heavily OC'ed i7 920 so seems like I may be in the ballpark?

Not worried about sick overclocks, just trying to stuff as many cards off a single motherboard and not have them burn up.

yea id say youre set

get some good fans for the radiator and youre good to go

The 480s put out nowhere near 475w of heat each.

However that radiator will be fine.

Yeah, a single 180 rad has the heat dissipation potential of two 120 rads. So with 4 you are set to diffuse a TON of heat.

sorry for mr blurrycam:

1385782804027.jpg

1385785991256.jpg

unfortunately sprung a leak (was impatient and in 5 years of watercooling never had one) between the quad-terminal block and one of the waterblocks. Fried the MB but card seems to be alright... it happened to be the card that had a curious defect: what looks like a hole, i didn't mind at first as it was on the card facing side, and outside the o-ring, but wondering if this guy shouldn't have passed QC. in talks w/EK customer service now.

IMG_20131201_003426.jpg

Holy crap! :eek:

Sorry to hear you fried your mb. Good luck with ek.

Mind if I ask what kind of temps you got on your setup?

think i was in the 35-45 celsius range, and much quieter than the jet engines sitting next to me now... prolly be a week or two of RMA fun before I get everything back up and running

Well, I hope you keep us updated. I'd love to wc my cards as well, but the investment is too prohibitive at the moment, at least for my main mining rig. I have a personal system that's wc'd but currently being rebuilt at the moment and unfortunately running into some issues, but that a whole other issue.

ya i don't recommend it for mining at all, better to throw another card at it and just space out the cards with risers. When I committed I thought if I was going for quadfire I may as well have them in my workstation so I could enjoy fooling around with them but at the moment just trying to hash out as much revenue as I can so not really playing anything.

I went w/water as I was not gonna have 4 jet engines sitting next to me so had to put them under water, already had the pumps/massive rad so just had to pick up blocks and some new tubing/fittings but for sure if I was building from scratch would not have gone for it.

Back