Open world = consoles

KickAssCop

[H]F Junkie
More and more I am coming to the conclusion that open world games need to be played on the console. Especially with PS4, I find it extremely comfortable to pause wherever I like, run around do errands, even turn it off and resume exactly where I left it.

My 3 recent endeavors into open world have been largely unsuccessful on PC. Dragon Age Inquisition I bought on both PC and PS4 and ended up playing on PS4. I also bought Witcher 3 on both PC and PS4 and I am playing it more on PS4 than PC and now with MGS V it seems this is going to be the norm for me.

My reasons are:
1) Couch
2) 55" 4K TV (upscaler ofcourse but looks gorgeous)
3) Ability to pause and save whenever I like without any issues

Anyone in the same boat. For a game like Fallout 4 etc, I am not going to be buying on PC even with my powerful system.

Seems stupid but convenience is becoming more important to me as I grow older.

Same thing happened to me man. I used to game on the computer all the time. Converted my PC into a HTPC with my desktop videocard, only installed fully controllable capable games from Steam and bought a PS4 and Xbox One. Playing from bed/couch is certainly way more confortable. I'll still get on the computer to play something but it's mostly consoles now. The convenience is great however FPS games are a huge pain in the ass to play with a controller.

But yeah, open world games are best on a console mainly because most of them are in 3rd person anyway which are best with a controller imo.

But, but the eye candy looks better on a PC. I actually agree with OP. I play pc games exclusively; But I will admit the convenience of playing role playing games on consoles. But I'm an addict of getting the best possible graphics on any given game. So I'm stuck on PCs.

I can understand. One reason I loved my PSP. Made playing games like Final Fantasy 7 or Chrono Trigger much easier. Even made grinding less of a grind when you can pick up and play whenever you get a free 15 mins.

So I can certainly see the pros to it. I’ll still be playing MGSV on my PC though.

I don't see how any of those points don't apply to PC?

I will concede that the console ecosystem is definitely more comfortable, especially the interface if you absolutely don't want to bother with a keyboard and mouse

...But what if I told you that I occasionally play games on my PC,

connected to my large TV,

while laying on my bed,

and using keyboard and mouse!

It's all personal preference, though, so I'm not judging. I played exclusively on consoles during the last console generation. Prior to that, I played mostly on PC. This console generation I just happen to be playing mostly on PC, occasionally firing up the consoles for their exclusive titles.

With the advent of the 360/One controller support put into a lot of games now the PC can work just as well for most games on TV.

I am of the opposite of most here. I like FPS on controller so play BF4, upcoming Battlefront, ETC on PS4. Most everything else I play is on PC. Not because of graphics, KB/M etc but because of how I "lose" games when I move to a new console.

I may want to go back and revisit of the great games of the past, but I am not going to keep consoles hooked up forever.

For example, I would like to play through Metal Gear Solid 4, but that is only on PS3 which I do not own anymore.

I do enjoy the console application much more than PC, desk, keyboard, mouse and chair. If that can be created with the PC flexibility and graphics then I go for it. A lot of people won't though, which is why consoles are vastly more popular than PC.

When I started hooking my PC up to my TV now feel the opposite. I can barely stand to play anything on the consoles anymore. Short of exclusives, I don't.
Everyone should try it. All you need is an HDMI cable and a wireless 360 controller dongle.

My issue is that my PC is downstairs in my study and my TV is upstairs in the family room next to my bedroom. Much simpler to walk out of bedroom and just spend sometime kicking fools in some game than walk downstairs and try to sit on PC for extended gaming.

I think once Steam Link is released, this issue might be forever resolved for me.

More and more I am coming to the conclusion that open world games need to be played on the console. Especially with PS4, I find it extremely comfortable to pause wherever I like, run around do errands, even turn it off and resume exactly where I left it.

My 3 recent endeavors into open world have been largely unsuccessful on PC. Dragon Age Inquisition I bought on both PC and PS4 and ended up playing on PS4. I also bought Witcher 3 on both PC and PS4 and I am playing it more on PS4 than PC and now with MGS V it seems this is going to be the norm for me.

My reasons are:
1) Couch

Anyone in the same boat. For a game like Fallout 4 etc, I am not going to be buying on PC even with my powerful system.

I'm the same way now. I even have an HTPC with decent hardware. But for new games I tend to opt for the console versions first. That is because the console version I don't have to mess with it. When it comes to the PC I spend too much time messing around with settings. Also the PC version many times tend to be a terrible port in the beginning and don't run very well. I'll often opt for the PC version several years later if I want to replay the game. Like Fallout 3 and New Vegas I played first on the Xbox 360, then replayed it again a few years later on the PC using an xbox 360 controller.

Even with a decent gaming PC and HTPC I still tend to play them more on the XB1. Its just more convenient for me. Once the XB1 wireless adapter comes out, I may play on my HTPC more. I'm so used the XB1 controller now that 360 controller feels sloppy.

I play games on my PC from the couch on a 52" plasma with an Xbox controller. FPS multiplayer games I use a keymapper for the controller in one hand and the mouse in the other. Best of both worlds. Yes it's not just "turn it on and play" the first time you set it up, but after the initial set up, it's just as easy as turning on a console.

I'll play a limited number of games on console for specific reasons, i.e. player base for the game is way bigger on consoles, or console exclusive, or whatever. But most games, PC is the better choice for me. And for some games it's a no brainer. E.g. Skyrim (hey that was open world), thanks to mods and such. Even without mods Skyrim was better on PC on the off chance you needed to fix something like a broken quest or something like that.

I have no preference between PC and console when it comes to open-world games based solely on that fact. If it's a game that favours KB/M like Far Cry 3/4 then I'll choose PC for that reason.

By default, PC vs console, console is easier to plug and play where ever you want.

PC can do anything a console does, and with more power and options.

However, I gave up buying stuff after stuff to adapt to my ever changing environment.

So, now, PS4 is my go to platform for primary gaming.

I do like rpgs and open world games on my PS4 better than on my PC.
After a while, I care less about how much better the PC looks, because frankly, I didn't buy an RPG based off of just graphics.

I agree that ghe idea of pausing the pc seems strange since it has a water pump, sucks electricity and might melt down the house. It isn't something I just pause.

Having said that, I don't use consoles.

My reasons are:
1) Couch

This is why I game on a PC from the couch, but with mouse and keyboard, been doing it for around 10 years.
I use a controller for racing games, best of all worlds.

What is the difficulty with pausing or saving a pc game?

Some games have archaic save mechanics. Metal Gear for example. If I want to shut down the game and let someone use my PC, I never know where it has saved since the saves are far apart.

No problems with Witcher 3 and DA I though.

My reasons are:
1) Couch

I don't understand. My PC does all of these things too.

My issue is that my PC is downstairs in my study and my TV is upstairs in the family room next to my bedroom. Much simpler to walk out of bedroom and just spend sometime kicking fools in some game than walk downstairs and try to sit on PC for extended gaming.

I think once Steam Link is released, this issue might be forever resolved for me.

Steam stream FTW

I have a tiny HTPC setup on my main TV and stream my games from my main gaming PC no problem. Make sure you use a wired connection, wifi is a bit iffy.

You could have easily built another PC for your TV, rather than buying a console.

I could never give up mods for a TV experience, though it might be nice for slower pace games that are unmoddable from the beginning.

Otherwise, there is no way I could play a vanilla Elder Scrolls, Witcher, GTA knowing there is a better experience waiting via mods.

All of the points in the original top post can be done on PC. You buy a console because they are much cheaper and they are plug and play without all the OS, drivers, updates issues that can occur on PC.

All of the points in the original top post can be done on PC. You buy a console because they are much cheaper and they are plug and play without all the OS, drivers, updates issues that can occur on PC.

Who has time for that crap. Less pcs the better.

Who has time for that crap. Less pcs the better.

I have time for that crap and I prefer it. My kids on the other hand do not. They play the wiiU and can be gaming in two minutes which makes it nice for them.

We wouldn't need to play games on the PC if the current gen consoles weren't so weak.
Upscaled 900p and 30FPS is a joke.
If we got the legit 1080p/60FPS like all of the early press stated, I'd feel perfectly comfortable sticking to the consoles.
As it stands we actually ended up with the Xbox 540 and the PS3.5

Mouse and keyboard will always be superior for FPS and complex RPG's. Anything else I really love playing on the couch on a big TV and not hunched over in my computer chair.

Back