Open WiFi Operators Are Not Liable for Pirating Users

HardOCP News

[H] News
I know this story took place in Germany but still, regardless what country you live in, shouldn't it be obvious by now that you can't hold shop owners liable just for providing free wi-fi internet access?

Restaurants, bars and shops that offer their customers free and open Wi-Fi are not liable for pirating users. This is the advice Advocate General Szpunar has sent to the EU Court of Justice in what may turn out to be a landmark case. While there's no direct liability, the AG notes that local courts may issue injunctions against Wi-Fi operators and long as they are fair and balanced.

But online piracy costs the entertainment industry a Billion Trillion Trillion currencies a year.

If someone has the kind of time and determination to download a shitty cam rip through Mcdonalds wifi... just let them have it, their life is already pretty damn sad/empty if it's come to that. (I say this from a time valuation aspect)

To argue against this ruling would draw the logical conclusion that local governments are responsible for bank robberies since they provided the roadways/infrastructure for the robberies to take place. I'm glad to see common sense prevail in this case.

To argue against this ruling would draw the logical conclusion that local governments are responsible for bank robberies since they provided the roadways/infrastructure for the robberies to take place. I'm glad to see common sense prevail in this case.

Our local municipalities are fighting this by letting the roads crumble. Let's see those bank robbers get away while dodging potholes!

Last edited:
Back