Open VPN - Through Untangle or Synology NAS?

WhatTheSchmidt

Limp Gawd
I can run a VPN through Synology or my Untangle old core 2 duo computer. The Synology server currently has 2.5TB of data and is used by 20 people, the Untangle server is setup in bridged mode and has all internet traffic going through it.

Is one piece of hardware better than the other to be used for OpenVPN for some reason?

Does it not matter at all? The Synology would be behind the Untangle server obviously, but sending through the traffic on the port needed for the OpenVPN wouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
I would start by questioning why large amounts (or any, for that matter) of data are stored on an edge/security appliance. That would be many red flags and alarms for me.

Oh, whew :).
I'd use the untangle box, but would place it behind a true firewall, personally.

Is one piece of hardware better than the other to be used for OpenVPN for some reason?

Generally, the more powerful hardware the better. VPN is actually very intensive with the load and often times it runs very half-assed on Firewalls/Routers that have it built-in. The impact can be dramatic. If it's for serious purposes I'd always go on the beefier platform, if it was just for fun/convenience it doesn't matter.

Does it not matter at all? The Synology would be behind the Untangle server obviously, but sending through the traffic on the port needed for the OpenVPN wouldn't be a problem.

It doesn't matter which platform is hosting the VPN Service. At the end of the day it's just a server doing what servers do. Performance is usually the key in distinguishing which hardware does what. With that said, personally I'd use the Untangle appliance for the VPN. Let the storage server be just that. Most of those pre-built NAS boxes have really crappy hardware to be honest. I hate that you pay a premium for someone to basically throw one together. They try to extend the life of those little machines by third-party add-ons.

Alright thanks for the advice.

I will go with the Untangle server, that uses like 3% of cpu max doing it's internet thing.

Back