Open VPN Client and Cisco PIX

jratzo

Limp Gawd
Has anyone connected the OpenVPN client (im using Vista x64) to a pix? I have no idea what to put in the config file. It is an IPsec vpn if that helps at all.

Thanks

A PIX can be configured as a traditional IPSec VPN. Most of the the time however, client mode VPN is configured to use the Cisco VPN Client, which uses a couple proprietary techniques. If you are trying to get around lack of x64 support, they only way I could find when I tried several months back was to install the client in a virtual machine.

A PIX can be configured as a traditional IPSec VPN. Most of the the time however, client mode VPN is configured to use the Cisco VPN Client, which uses a couple proprietary techniques. If you are trying to get around lack of x64 support, they only way I could find when I tried several months back was to install the client in a virtual machine.

Yeah I have that set up already, but thats annoying. So your saying open VPN can't connect to it? Another option is a VPN router.

A site-to-site tunnel would work. For client mode VPN, it depends on how the PIX was configured. Most, if not all, of the PIXs I have seen set, or have personally set, all use the Cisco VPN Client for the client mode VPN

Yeah we use the Cisco VPN client which is what I have installed on my 32 bit XP VM

The Cisco ASA models (newer PIX) running 8.0 can run the newer SSL VPN client, which has a 64-bit Vista version. I don't believe Cisco is planning on supporting the "older" IPSEC VPN client much longer. They did just come out with a newer 5.0 release, but I think it's 32-bit only (both Vista and XP).

Robert

Yeah I have 5.0 it is only 32 bit, I did read that about the ASA, too bad we have a 515

OpenVPN is entirely different than IPSec. You are going to need to find an IPSec client for Vista x64.

A couple minutes searching turned this up, which talks about the Draytek IPSec client for Vista.

I cant get that to work it says connected but cant get anywhere.

I did find this NCP which says its compatible with cisco, but you have to pay for it. I'm going to try and download a trial and test it tomorrow

The problem is that the standard way a PIX/ASA implements a client mode VPN will only work with their VPN client.

Damn proprietary losers!

We use a Juniper VPN at my job; they don't have a Vista x64 client either. I didn't bother trying other IPSec clients. I just convinced the IT dept to let me set up an OpenVPN box.

Damn proprietary losers!

We use a Juniper VPN at my job; they don't have a Vista x64 client either. I didn't bother trying other IPSec clients. I just convinced the IT dept to let me set up an OpenVPN box.

Almost everybody's VPN client is proprietary in some way. The IPSEC standard never accounted for X-AUTH, so everybody does it differently. That's why site-to-site tunnels are easier with certs or pre-shared keys between different vendors. It was made to do that.

Robert

Back