Open Source only: what's the best way these days for spam filtering?

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
Currently I have a mail setup using fetchmail to grab mail from my pop accounts, then using procmail it is filtered through spam-assassin which has tons of custom rules. It works pretty well, but it's a really old setup. I don't even know if procmail exists anymore, if I was to update the distro. It's currently running on FC9. Yes, 9. :D

While the setup works well, it's kinda dirty as I have one linux user per pop account. I'm looking at moving over to a kerberos based setup so I want to get rid of all these accounts if possible.

Just curious what everyone here is doing for spam filtering these days. Note that I'm looking specificly at open source solutions, that work with Postfix, in Linux. Probably still Spamassassin, more looking at how is it normally setup.

A bonus would also be if I can set some per user rules at the virtual user level. Or perhaps have some users who don't have it enabled at all.

I'm also debating on if I want to drop the fetchmail stuff, and just do the spam filtering directly at the online server. Then I just imap directly to that server to access my mail. Would also enable me to setup webmail so I can login from anywhere. In fact, maybe skip imap and use only web mail. Just need to find a decent client where I can have all my accounts show up in one login. I'm open for suggestions for that as well.

When I get my new lab set up, I'm going to be standing up an email server VM and am looking at xeams.com as a potential solution.

I found it via google search so I don't have a clue how effective it is. Give me a few weeks/months and I'll let you know how it worked for me. Or, you could set it up and let ME know how it works. :D

Protecting only about 10 mailboxes or so. I have a few that are "special" with specific procmail rules/apps that get run as well so ability to have per user procmail rules is important. I do want to switch to virtual users. Not sure how this would work with procmail, or equivalent app.

I use mailscanner, of which spamassassin is one particular component. Also throw in some greylisting, RBL checks, clamAV etc.

Hey Red Squirrel,

Are your evaluations underway? What did you settle on?

I did not start looking at anything yet, but I'm starting to think I might stick with what I got and just improve it a little. I just figured by now it would be way out dated and that better stuff is available.

Though I am still in the "market" for a free fully featured web based email client though, I'd like to go pure web mail. I'd want something that's kinda like Thunderbird where I can setup multiple mailboxes though.

I also need to see if I can get procmail to work with virtual users as I do want to move away from the linux user based mail to virtual users as it will make for an all round cleaner setup and no need for making so many users.

I have lot of other projects on the go such as my basement so this is more on the back of my mind at this point.

Back