Open Source Office Software

cwolf78

Limp Gawd
Is there any stable open source office software out there for windows machines. I am most interested in something that can handle .xls files and .pps as well.
Thanks !

I'm using the latest version of OO and it is a huge improvement over 1.x
It's faster, cleaner and works great. It even does some stuff with word, like word finish that I like, although I can see how some people might not.

Either way, I really think like OO in it's current form.

OpenOffice is terrific. I like it better than the current MS-Office in most ways. Another option you can try is OpenOffice Premium. It's a custom installer that some people made that includes more stuff, like templates, fonts, and clipart. Other than coming with more stuff, it's basically the exact same OpenOffice as the regular version.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooop

The one thing OOs is missing is VBA. If you've got some serious excel files with a lot of automation, you're pretty much stuck with MS Office.

For general home use, I'd say OOs was more than adequate for most users.

Funny enough, I started playing around with converting a spreadsheet (with VBA) into OO... it's not as easy as it seems. While OO Basic is very powerful in it's own right, it's different enough from VBA to make it a little obtuse to work with.

Otherwise, I think OO is a fantastic alternative to MS Office, especially for the price point, and can handle pretty much all Office files that you throw at it.

I haven't tried v2 yet. I'll have to d/l it and see how it goes.

another vote for OO

especially if you just want to do papers.

better dictionaries too

Back