Open samba share in an AD environment

Darakian

Supreme [H]ardness
I've run across an interesting problem with our samba server at work. First off the server is in domain mode and ties into our windows server for account authentication. We've got a few shares and I've made one publicly accessible (it holds installers that our users use).
The problem is that while windows and mac users can log in and install said programs our linux users cannot. I think this is because they need to change to their local root accounts to install software and the local root is unauthorized as far as the domain is concerned.

So, is it possible to make a fully open (world readable) share in samba when the global security section is set to domain?

That does smooth out the user experience a little, but I'm still getting the same behavior that the mounted share is unusable to the local root account. The permissions of the share are ?????????? which is a new one for me. I think this might be a fedora issue more than a samba issue now though.
Thanks for the link :)

Nah, the samba server is doing things correctly. My client machine is mounting the share with unknown permissions. It's an easy work around to tell me clients to log in locally as root if they need the software for all their local accounts.
Thanks for the links though :)

Back