Open Hardware Monitor

There is a new version 0.1.34 with the following improvements:

- Added a user interface to configure certain sensors as hidden and dropped the old way of hiding sensors.
- Added support for the 0x53 revision of the W83627EHF super I/O chip.
- The width of the tree-columns (Sensor, Value, Min, Max) are now saved and restored the next time the Open Hardware Monitor is started.
- Added a sensor type "Control" for controlled fans (read-only), and implemented corresponding sensors for the T-Balancer fan controller.
- Fixed a few bugs related to fonts (tray icons should be better now on XP systems)
- Fixed some bugs in the hardware identification code and problems that would cause the OHM to crash.

Thanks for posting this; I think it is a great idea.

I noticed you have inter-operability with the T-Balancer products. Is someone still updating that software? From what I saw on the manufacturer's website the software looks like it is from 2005.

I am not sure what mCubed is doing internally, but from their website and forum it doesn't look like there is any activity related to the T-Balancer. There has been a "new" alpha version of their software in 2008, but from what I have seen it is labeled alpha for a reason. I personally still use the version T-Balancer Navigator 2.9 from 2006, which works fine on Windows 7 x64.

For the Open Hardware Monitor I interact directly with the USB driver from FTDI (and of course the T-Balancer hardware behind it), so I do not depend on any software from mCubed there (except the T-Balancer firmware of course).

Just released the new version 0.1.35 with the following improvements:

- Support for Fahrenheit tempereatures on the main window (Options / Temperature Unit).
- Extended support for voltages on mainboards with ITE super I/O chip.
- Fixed a few bugs which would crash the Open Hardware Monitor

Great program. I like how it is very clean and simple.

A companion Windows gadget would make it perfect.

Very nice. Thanks.

Is there a way to make the original system tray icon disappear when one of the sensors is there? This is one of my pet peeves with HW Monitor Pro. I like to keep as few icons in the system tray as possible. Perhaps allow the user to change the color in the same context menu where we can add it to the system tray.

Last edited:
I released a new version 0.1.37 Beta with the following improvements:

• Improved the support for Nvidia GPUs by adding clock, load and fan sensors.
  • Restored Linux support by fixing problems when running on Mono.
  • Added support for mainboard sensors on Linux using lm-sensors.
  • Added a dialog to submit a hardware report directly from the application.
  • Added a menu entry to reset the sensor Min/Max values.
  • Added support for more revisions of the W83627THF super I/O chip.
  • Added more details to Nvidia GPU reports.
  • Sensors can now be renamed additionally via context menu.
  • Added more mainboard specific configurations for ASUS and Gigabyte mainboards.
  • Added support for a second miniNG on the T-Balancer bigNG.
  • Added menu entries to Hide/Show and Exit to the sensor system tray icons.
  • Sensors displayed in the system tray will now replace the main icon.
  • Corrected the CPU core voltage for the EVGA X58 SLI Classified mainboard.
  • Fixed a bug in the T-Balancer device enumeration code.
  • Fixed some bugs and improved the auto-startup.
  • Fixed some problems with Fonts.
  • The settings are now saved also in user log off or windows shut situations.
  • Removed the limit column, as hardly any hardware provides these values.

Hi,

I use OHM and it has been having a few problems when using it to monitor the RPM speeds coming from devices like pumps off the fan headers. I made a thread about it so it's probably best I just post the link than repeat myself.

Here.

Ill be happy to help in anyway

Glad I logged into the hard forum today. Thanks for making this, I'm going to download the source right away and start using it for non-specific evil purposes loosely related to conquering the world like an egotisic dictator from bombay.

will this work with unlocked amd cpu's?

it will work the same as any other temp monitor.. the problem with the unlocked dual/triple cores is not the monitoring apps.. its the fact that unlocking it disables the diode temp sensor..

it will work the same as any other temp monitor.. the problem with the unlocked dual/triple cores is not the monitoring apps.. its the fact that unlocking it disables the diode temp sensor..

ah ok. thanks.

Would be great if this had an automatically run on startup function and the ability to hide in the clock area in the taskbar. If you could give it customization like CoreTemp this would be amazing.

(Haven't tried it because CT is doing an OK job right now, if you do implement more "aesthetics" to it, I'm so many many people would be interested.)

You can run the Open Hardware Monitor automatically on startup already. Minimize to system tray is available as option too.

I don't really know what you mean with "customization like CoreTemp" or "more aesthetics". If you can be more specific, maybe I can do something in a future version.

Thanks for implementing my suggestion to have sensors in the system tray replace the main icon!

Is there a way to display clock speed for AMD CPUs? OHM displays the clock speed for my i3-530 but not for my Athlon II or Phenom II CPUs.

Thanks!

Loving this program! Only thing it doesn't do is display my fan speeds attached to my motherboard. I'm running an Asus Maximus III Gene. No biggie though, All I wanted to keep an eye on was temps. Thanks!

I have uploaded a new release 0.2.0 Beta with the following improvements:

• New desktop gadget (enable with "View / Show gadget").
  • Added bus and core clock sensors for AMD K8 and K10 CPUs.
  • Added support for the Alphacool Heatmaster fan controller.
  • Added support for the ITE IT8721F super I/O chip.
  • Added a fan control sensor for ATI GPUs.
  • Added an ISA bus mutex for accessing the super I/O chips.
  • Added a mainboard specific configuration for the ASRock 880GMH/USB3,
    ASUS P6X58D-E, ASUS Rampage Extreme, ASUS Rampage II GENE,
    ECS A890GXM-A, Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3 and Gigabyte P55M-UD4.
  • Improved the stability of reading and writing the settings file.
  • Added an option to minimize when the close button is clicked.
  • Reimplemented the GUI menus using the native Windows menus.
  • Improved a few optical details of the GUI.
  • Added support for the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.
  • Refactored the hardware monitoring code into a library.
  • Fixed a few problems where the Open Hardware monitor would crash.
  • Added SMART data and details of AMD CPUs to the report.

Nice work. I especially appreciate the addition of clock speeds for AMD chips. It's nice that OHM even supports desktop gadgets under XP.

Great Job! Has everything I need, but as usual, I can't see my HD temps :( Can't see them in any of the other popular monitoring programs either tho.

I have released the new version 0.3.0 Beta with the improvents:

• Added support for Intel Sandy Bridge CPU core temperature and clock sensors
  • Added support for core temperature and clocks of AMD Fusion (14h family) and family 11h CPUs
  • Fixed the core temperature reading on older revisions of AMD K8 CPUs (family 0Fh)
  • Corrected the bus and core clock reading on Pentium 4 CPUs
  • Improved the CPU clock reading accuracy
  • New SSD support and wear level sensors for Intel, Indilinx, SandForce and Samsung drives
  • Added support for manual fan control on ATI/AMD GPUs
  • Improved the support for reading sensors on GPUs in Crossfire mode
  • Added support for Nuvoton NCT6771F and NCT6776F Super I/O chips
  • Fixed fan speed reading on older revision of IT8712F Super I/O chips
  • Added a mainboard specific configuration for the ASUS P8P67 Pro, ASRock P55 Deluxe and ASRock AOD790GX-128M
  • Added a “Reset” command to the menu, which allows to restart the sensor reading implementation without exiting the application
  • Fixed a few bugs in the Heatmaster and T-Balancer implementation
  • Reimplemented the device driver management code and improved the security
  • Added the global flag to the Access_ISABUS.HTP.Method mutex
  • Fixed the reseting of min and max values of HDD temperatures
  • Fixed some scaling errors that occured when using 125% or 150% text size in Windows
  • The main window can now be opened by double clicking the desktop gadget
  • Improved the moving and resizing of the gadget on multi-monitor systems
  • Added a WMI interface to provide all the sensor data to other applications and tools
  • Fixed a few problems with saving and restoring the main window position and size
  • Added basic CPU support for Linux systems
  • Added support for AMD K10 (family 10h) core temperature sensors and Asus ATK0110 devices on Linux systems

You know what would be AWESOME! Get it to display the information to the LCD to the Logitech keyboard. That will kick some butt! Nice program btw.

Yeah the G19, thats the one I have.

Last edited:
You know what would be AWESOME! Get it to display the information to the LCD to the Logitech keyboard. That will kick some butt! Nice program btw.

If you could do that, then I would have to go out and get that model Logitech k/b. :D

The new SSD wear monitoring is nice. Maybe you could also include the amount of host writes and reads so I don't have to use another program to check.

Looks like Everest TBO.
Looks like HWMonitor rather. :p But that totally depends on which came first. :D

EDIT: This 'Open Hardware Monitor' (Open HWMonitor?) is pretty much the HWMonitor Pro version, but freeware and open-source. Very nice actually, since it reports more information than plain HWMonitor and essentially has the basic extended feature of HWMonitor Pro (but for free).

The tree-view GUI design has been implemented similar to the CPUID HWMonitor, although others have used similar GUI layouts before. Some of the resemblance of the current version of the Open Hardware Monitor is also caused by the fact that the CPUID HWMonitor started using the CPU and the temperature icon I designed for the Open Hardware Monitor. Also the mainboard node has appeared in the CPUID HWMonitor only after I added this to the Open Hardware Monitor.

Just loaded up this monitor after rebuilding my system yet again and all I can say is, I really like it. I was using HWMonitor for a long time but I think I'll end up switching over to this one.

The tree-view GUI design has been implemented similar to the CPUID HWMonitor, although others have used similar GUI layouts before. Some of the resemblance of the current version of the Open Hardware Monitor is also caused by the fact that the CPUID HWMonitor started using the CPU and the temperature icon I designed for the Open Hardware Monitor. Also the mainboard node has appeared in the CPUID HWMonitor only after I added this to the Open Hardware Monitor.

good to know your software is having success :D

Ill be working more with my linux after i figure some other stuff out, atleast we got the linux readings working :D

This is a handy little program that does just what you need, with no pointless fluff. Good work!

Does it have an output function that it might product a signal for USB or even a plain text file another application can use?

Back