"Open box" motherboard? What's that mean?

Ehren8879

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been meaning to upgrade to socket 939 for the longest time and have had specific equipment picked out for the longest time. Now that I've purchased the chip I wanted I can no longer find the motherboard I want, an Epox 9NPA+ Ultra. It seems like this thing is just no longer produced and can't be found retail anywhere. It has however been replaced by the cheaper 9NPA3 Ultra which gets great reviews, but I want what I want. I have found the 9NPA+ direct from Epox for $78, but it's listed as an "open box" item. I'm not sure if this means that the board was an RMA or refurb and if that's the case then I don't want it. Also I've noticed this term being used on Newegg lately. What exactly do they mean when they say "open box"

Thanks

I found this from the egg:
# What is a open box item? Does Newegg.com open box items or does the original manufacturer?
Open Box items have been opened and touched and/or returned. Because they originate from different situations, they may or may not include accessories, documentation or retail packaging. Refurbishment is done by the manufacturer. Open Box products are warranted for only 15 days. We recommend that you try out your open box product immediately after receiving it.

Looks like this board was probably an RMA at one time or another. NO THANKS !!!

Well, i know that with newegg when its listed as open box it means its just the motherboard itself and that it might come with the other components. But it was most likely rma'd or just returned.

Open box is like a tie up term. It means that the product has been opened before. This can be that it was a return, demo(taken out of box to show people), refurb product, etc. Also open box products may or may not come with the extras(in this case sata, parallel ata cables, etc

someone used it and returned it. may have missing items like cables, CD and manuals....

I got an open box abit kn8 and it came with everything. Original box and all, you could tell that the mobo had been taken out of the static bag because of the tearing of the static bag. But it was well worth it, got it for 50 shipped from newegg and then when they ran out it was like 100 with 7 shipping

does the i/o plate come at all because ive been looking at open box for some time but didnt know about the plates... :confused:

It depends...sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. I've received both with and without the IO Shield.

And if you did happen to get a board without the IO shield, you could try contacting the board manufacturer..Chances are they'd send you one no questions asked.

The savings on "open box" items has never been enough to justify my time, frustration, and risk in taking a chance on the item.

Back