Open Box: ASUS Rampage III Formula LGA 1366 - $225.99 @ Newegg

It could be a good deal, and buying open box is kind of like gambling. I've had good success with open box items but also a few headaches. Sometimes I like a bit of mystery buying open box, you never know what you're going to get.

If you have the spare parts sitting around then its going to be a good deal. If you need to source some parts like SATA cables and what not it might be a bit of a pain.

I have always gotten everything when I have bought openbox items from newegg.. However buying refurbished I always get burned.

I've bought 5 Openbox motherboards from newegg so far, 2 were DOA and 1 died in less than a week. Don't think I'll be buying them anymore since you have to spend money to ship them back and they usually just give you a refund.

I sent a Rampage III Formula back to Newegg a month or so ago, so one of these boards is prolly one I sent back. The board had a wicked warp to it - wouldn't sit flat on a table, much less in the case. Worked just fine, but I was afraid of having issues down the road. Second one was flat as a board.

If you do get a dud, you can contact Newegg via chat and they will usually give you a prepaid shipping label back for the hassle. However, you could call Asus and they will take care of you on it.

If you do get a dud, you can contact Newegg via chat and they will usually give you a prepaid shipping label back for the hassle. However, you could call Asus and they will take care of you on it.

When I asked their chat reps, they said open box has no mfg warranty. I found this odd as best buy and micro center open items both come with them.

Can any one confirm/deny this?

buy it today and get a $25 gift card.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I was able to cancel my order to get in on this gift card deal. After reading some of the above posts, I decided to go with a brand new RF-III instead. I threw in a $10 card reader to get it above $300. So in essence, I nabbed a brand new RF-III for $250. Pretty good deal me thinks.

I also used FatWallet's 2% cashback on Newegg purchases and saved additional $6.

Newegg better send me my $50 gift card! :D

if you buy openbox just rma with manu.. most dont ask for proof of purchase unless its way old.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I was able to cancel my order to get in on this gift card deal. After reading some of the above posts, I decided to go with a brand new RF-III instead. I threw in a $10 card reader to get it above $300. So in essence, I nabbed a brand new RF-III for $250. Pretty good deal me thinks.

I also used FatWallet's 2% cashback on Newegg purchases and saved additional $6.

Newegg better send me my $50 gift card! :D

No problem,
Just ordered an Asus X58 Sabertooth w/ 6gb ram for $254 and will get the $25 gift card.

When I asked their chat reps, they said open box has no mfg warranty. I found this odd as best buy and micro center open items both come with them.

Can any one confirm/deny this?

Asus goes by the serial number. Since Asus uses the serial number for warranty purposes, the warranty is done from manufacture date, not sale date unless you provide proof of purchase and register it on their website.

Even if it is open box? Last time I checked OB items are only covered by the seller/reseller.

Not correct with Asus.

if you buy openbox just rma with manu.. most dont ask for proof of purchase unless its way old.

All they want is a serial number off the board, simple as that. Biggest reason I like Asus versus others like EVGA which require all this proof that you are the first buyer. With Asus i can buy used and I have a warranty.

The open box units that Newegg sells are from Asus after they have tested them. So even if you order a brand new one and then send it back to Newegg, they will then send it to Asus to have it checked out, and then Asus will send it back to Newegg to be sold as "Open Box". This is why some will come in a retail box with all the accessories while some come in a brown box with no or some of the accessories.

If you have the spare parts sitting around then its going to be a good deal. If you need to source some parts like SATA cables and what not it might be a bit of a pain.

SATA cables and the like are the farthest thing from my mind when ordering open box motherboards, my main concern is always the sound card (if it comes with one) and the I/O shield, as those are really the only proprietary things and the I/O shield is really the only "must have" thing...

I've bought 5 Openbox motherboards from newegg so far, 2 were DOA and 1 died in less than a week. Don't think I'll be buying them anymore since you have to spend money to ship them back and they usually just give you a refund.

I've bought two, my ASUS P5N SLI ran for years but didn't come with any accessories (I had to order the I/O shield from the ASUS store which tacked on another $15 to the price) and my MSI P55 GD80 is running in my rig right now and came with everything, it came with so much at first I thought they had put two sets of accessories in it...

:D

All they want is a serial number off the board, simple as that. Biggest reason I like Asus versus others like EVGA which require all this proof that you are the first buyer. With Asus i can buy used and I have a warranty.

The open box units that Newegg sells are from Asus after they have tested them. So even if you order a brand new one and then send it back to Newegg, they will then send it to Asus to have it checked out, and then Asus will send it back to Newegg to be sold as "Open Box". This is why some will come in a retail box with all the accessories while some come in a brown box with no or some of the accessories.

Good to know. Had I had known this a little earlier, I would have probably re-ordered the open box RF-III. It's all good though, I'm still getting a brand new RF-III with a decent discount and I don't have to worry about missing any accessories like the I/O shield.

I should also mention that my statement only applies to Asus. For all other manufactures I have no idea. It's one of the main reasons I use Asus.

Every open box I've ever ordered from newegg included ONLY the product. Major PITA for motherboards. Pay the extra for a new one imo so you'll get the SLI/XF bridges, IO Plate, and other misc stuff. They pretty frequently seem to have some sort of promotion going on. I got mine with that 10% off deal with another $10 off promo code a while back.

Back