Online Video Viewers Watch Less TV

HardOCP News

[H] News
A new report from Nielsen says that people who watch the most video online tend to watch less TV. This study was brought to you by the foundation that discovered "water = wet" and "fire = hot."

Americans who watch the most video online tend to watch less TV, according to The Nielsen Co., a finding that overturns a longstanding belief that people who watch more programming do so over all devices. The ratings agency said Wednesday that starting last fall, it noticed a segment of consumers who were starting to make a tradeoff between online video and regular TV. The activity was more pronounced among people ages 18-34.

That's because we pick when we want to watch whatever show we choose. We don't flip through channels looking for something to watch, that would be an archaic way to get our entertainment.

Because I got rid of the TV cable subscription, if I want to watch a live event then there's plenty of streams out there, if I want to watch a movie or a series I have Netflix.

If it werent for football season every year I'd have no problem living without cable.

That's because we pick when we want to watch whatever show we choose.

This, nothing else is really neccessary. Plus you can omit the commercials as well, and you can watch MORE in a lesser amount of time, simply because you do without the commercials.

anytime I'm over at my GFs place and we're watching TV the commercials drive me fucking insane!!! it's complete bullshit that you have to pay $50 for cable and still watch a shit ton of commercials! they should be paying us to watch that shit

^lol might not have to worry about that this year.
They said they're shooting for a new CBA in 2-4 weeks so hooooopefully.....

I have no idea what I would do on Sundays if there's no football this year :(

You don't even need cable anymore. Everything you wanna watch is on the internet, legally or not.

i wish my wife would let me get rid of direct tv,its so expensive for the 3 channels she watches and i have zero interest to use it.

Wait, you mean if I consume 3 hours of internet video per day, that means I have 3 hours LESS each day to watch TV? I thought I had infinite time each day to consume whatever my corporate masters wished... :(

Been TV free for over a year.
All I need is a HD TV for my game consoles/movies netflix, hulu, and my computers to keep me happy.
And when I am bored with any of that stuff, a good ol' walk or swimming pool is the perfect thing.

I don't watch much TV because just about 99% of it is absolute trash, I watch a few shows on Discovery, Spongebob once in a while (I'm 25) and several shows on HBO and Showtime, other then that everything is garbage

Also since I have Brighthouse I am forced to watch 2-3 Brighthouse commercials per commercial, I mean I have Brighthouse, in fact I have everything they offer except this pointless "whole house DVR" yet I still see commercials about their phone service, internet service, cable, HD service, I already have all that stuff so why do I need to see the commercials?

I've come up with a solution:

3 tiers

Tier 1: Customer only has 1 service from Brighthouse, customer sees all Brighthouse commercials
Tier 2: Customer only has 2 services from Brighthouse, customer sees a few Brighthouse commercials
Tier 3: Customer has the 3 main services (phone/TV/net), customer sees ZERO brighthouse/News 13 commercials.

Sorry....

They said they're shooting for a new CBA in 2-4 weeks so hooooopefully.....

I have no idea what I would do on Sundays if there's no football this year :(

For me, it's football AND basketball that have to go through a new CBA. I'll definitely go through a bit of sports depression of neither come back this year.

For me, it's football AND basketball that have to go through a new CBA. I'll definitely go through a bit of sports depression of neither come back this year.
Yeah, basketball too...I don't watch the NBA regularly, mostly when its playoffs but I do enjoy watching it. Football and basketball are the only two sports I watch so its gonna suck if neither of them have a season...

If the big media corps could make watching free videos on youtube illegal, they would.

They got mad and threw a tantrum when the internet wanted them to share their toys, so now everyone went off to find their own toys.

They're going to hemorrhage money and it's their own damn fault.

Yeah, basketball too...I don't watch the NBA regularly, mostly when its playoffs but I do enjoy watching it. Football and basketball are the only two sports I watch so its gonna suck if neither of them have a season...

Id pay for some type of online LIVE sports streaming. does such a thing exist? ESPN 3 is kinda cool but just doesn't cut it.

If only I were a local sports fan I could get it all over the air...

Too much censorship on TV. What's the point of showing Final Destination if they're gonna censor all the good parts?

I can't believe they charge you $150 for a fancy cable package and then make you watch advertisements for 17 minutes per hour. They could charge nothing for television and still make money.

Because there are a lot of people like myself that simply got rid of cable or went to very basic subscription, and get their movies or shows online.

Personally, I was sick and tired of paying for 300 channels, of which only five interested me, and the rest were infomercials, liberal comedy news, telemundo or various other spanish channels, cooking crap, and televangelists smacking people on the forehead w/ the healing power of Jesussssaaah! No gracias senor. If they let me pay per channel I actually want to watch at a reasonable rate, I'd keep TV.

When they let me buy by the channel, they can have me back. Till then, I'll find a way to watch what I want, even if it means I have to make snacks every Sunday for whomever hosts football that week.

Because I got rid of the TV cable subscription, if I want to watch a live event then there's plenty of streams out there, if I want to watch a movie or a series I have Netflix.

The last TV series I faithfully followed was the X-files. Since then I have pretty much missed all television shows.
When I hear shows like American Idol are a hit. I'm glad I missed them.
I have been a NetFlix member from day on and off. There were times when their library of DVD wasn't much better than the average video store. I dropped my membership but checked in later and found they hugely expanded it I rejoined then. When streaming video started up; the selection was pretty lousy, now it is much better. I look for mainly documentaries and classic movies. TV? Blah. I don't waste my time anymore.

I've found that my old routine of flipping from channel to channel for hours on end, trying disparately to find something to watch has been replaced with constantly browsing through each category that Netflix thinks aspires to my taste for hours on end.

Honestly, I don't consider myself smarter, better, or anything else than most people. But the last time I sat down and flipped through the cable channels I came to the conclusion that the programming is aimed at chimpanzees. But I really can't say that because if you set a bunch of monkeys in front of the TV, they probably wouldn't watch it either. What does this say about regular consumers of television programming?? It makes me ill to think about it.

I wouldn't even have cable if broadband wasn't required for my job. It is cheaper if you bundle it.

I don't even bother having cable for sports. I can watch most relevant NFL games broadcast over the air. I've been cable free for years now. Initially it was to save money, but now with Netflix dvds/streaming and other online streaming, there is no way I'll go back.

When television shows are approaching the 50% barrier (50% show, 50% commercials.)
migrating to the internet to watch the actual show and not have to tivo and FF the commercials is the way to go.

Back