Online Retailer Charges A 6.8% Internet Explorer 7 Tax

HardOCP News

[H] News
I am not saying this is the stupidest idea I've ever heard...but it's damn close. Raise your hand if you would be cool with someone tacking on a 6.8% tax based on what browser you are using. :eek:

AFAIK, nothing special is needed for IE9, and besides when Internet Explorer makes up the lion share of your web traffic, then isn't any extra costs associated being a problem of other browsers not adhering to IE standards?

My company still has us using IE7 because we interact with a large number of websites from third parties, some of which drag their feet when it comes to updating to the newest IE standards. The tax thing is them trying to be 'funny' and it's pretty irritating, honestly.

I would normally consider a tax to be something assessed by a taxing authority. I think this would more appropriately be called a surcharge. But since they have apparently already invested in the effort to make their site compatible with IE7, effectively telling IE7 users to shop somewhere else doesn't make much sense to me.

LOL. Nice.

Not sure why anyone (other than outdated corporate shit) would be using IE7 still, anyway.

Id rather see websites block all access to their websites, instead redirecting people to a page instructing them how to update to the latest version of their respected browser.

A "tax"? That's just plain stupid.

How about a 5% discount for using browser "x" instead?

Marketing people!

I'm fine with it. i consider it an idiot tax. if you are still running IE at all (although some people have no choice see also: businesses that rely on old tech) you are a drain on resources, and are vulnerable to attack. there are reasons newer browsers are up to v 15 (in 5 years)

What's the tax for IE 6? At my last job, IE 8 finally overtook IE 6, but IE 7 never even got close. Most of the people who were willing to update to IE 7, were also willing to update to IE 8.

I'm fine with it. i consider it an idiot tax. if you are still running IE at all (although some people have no choice see also: businesses that rely on old tech) you are a drain on resources, and are vulnerable to attack. there are reasons newer browsers are up to v 15 (in 5 years)

ALL browsers are vulnerable, what's your point? If you have a retarded iteration policy that indicates any moderate change made requires a new version number, then you realize how the numbers are so high and irrelevant... Way to be brainwashed my marketing bro.

How about a 5% discount for using browser "x" instead?

Marketing people!
I would absolutely consider something like that, but realistically, it makes much more sense to not spend effort on giving IE7 users as good an experience as everyone else gets. The people using modern browsers will get a better experience, so they're already at an advantage to IE7 users.

so many attempts to get people off of older browsers either fail or take FAAAR too long

experience isnt an incentive for these people, but speaking to their wallets is, I think this is a great idea, especially as a web developer myself who has wasted entire 8 hour days trying to solve IE7 (and IE8) exclusive issues

Oh man, that's brilliant! As a web developer, my hatred for IE knows no bounds, especially outdated versions. IE9 is not much better, just google "IE9 sucks". I don't allow IE6 users on my sites at all (yeah, there are still those people), they get a nice popup telling them to go upgrade or get out.

This is funny, but I kind of think that it's messed up. Most of the people using IE7 probably don't even know what browser they are using. It's just taking advantage of unsuspecting people trying to shop online.

Oh man, that's brilliant! As a web developer, my hatred for IE knows no bounds, especially outdated versions. IE9 is not much better, just google "IE9 sucks". I don't allow IE6 users on my sites at all (yeah, there are still those people), they get a nice popup telling them to go upgrade or get out.

Those of us with older phones that cannot afford to upgrade and dont have an option to use anything but IE6 thank you.

I think admins should just block Kogan's site. Fair enough.

my company has fulling stopped supporting IE6, and my personal projects don't support anything that doesnt support CSS3

I don't have a problem with this approach, but has already been mentioned:

1.) Why don't we focus on eliminating IE6 before tackling IE7?

2.) Carrots tend to work better than sticks. Discount for using modern browser will be much better received than penalty for using older browser even though they are the same thing.

My company still has us using IE7 because we interact with a large number of websites from third parties, some of which drag their feet when it comes to updating to the newest IE standards. The tax thing is them trying to be 'funny' and it's pretty irritating, honestly.
^ This. My company is a Level 4 adult and children trauma hospital and we still have IE7 and Office 2003. Would you like to standardize every few years on new software for almost 10,000 employees? Yeah, I didn't think so. I don't like using IE7 at work but hey, it works what what is needed.

The biggest problem is connecting remotely through the VPN tunnel (that is standardized on IE7) and the tunnel software doesn't like 64-bit IE9 or some versions of Firefox. Using is with Chrome can be iffy, too.

Zarathustra[H];1038834708 said:
2.) Carrots tend to work better than sticks. Discount for using modern browser will be much better received than penalty for using older browser even though they are the same thing.
In this case though, you'd need quite a lot of carrots and not so many sticks. And carrots are expensive.

So, you could do a 6.8% tax or give non-IE7 users a lesser discount. Maybe 2.1%. Maybe less. And who would become enthused by a 2.1% discount?

How exactly can they call it a "tax"? Why not just refuse to sell? What about government agencies or people with terrible and overbearing IT departments that have no choice in what browser they use? Seems unfair.

I support purging IE7 from the Internet forever, but this is retarded.

How exactly can they call it a "tax"? Why not just refuse to sell? What about government agencies or people with terrible and overbearing IT departments that have no choice in what browser they use? Seems unfair.

Maybe those agencies should stop being terribly and overbearing and get with the times?

Not saying that this is the way, but this is only accentuating an existing problem, not creating one.

Id rather see websites block all access to their websites, instead redirecting people to a page instructing them how to update to the latest version of their respected browser.

A "tax"? That's just plain stupid.

^This, What is wrong with a post saying you need to update your browser to view the site?

If the company you work for doesn't have the latest build of opera/chrome/firefox constantly deployed to every single workstation it owns you should quit your job then reevaluate yourself because you spent so much time slaving away for neanderthals.

Why are they shopping at work?????
I think the tax idea is funny.

Pretty lame and a little funny
“without no tolls we don’t get no rolls”

0.jpg

with all the headaches i've had recently getting some one of the web applications i've been working on to have a consistent user experience across the 4 major browser (including older versions of each), one word describes my feelings for this:

APPROVED

people really need to get up to the latest and greatest of the browser theyre using. I don't care IE'er or want to roll with firefox, just keep your crap up to date.

As an IT professional I love this. It's an outstanding incentive to get people to migrate. It's a dick move no doubt about it, but it's one that I approve.

They have stupid motorist laws why not stupid internetist laws and or taxes.

As well as charging people to use older browsers...I'd charge people for using fireturd, or safari.

Where's the ancient FireFox tax? Most people using IE6 or IE7 don't know any better. Most people sticking to an ancient version of FireFox actually think its safer because its not IE.

Funny as it may be, I can't think of a better way to piss off your customers and get a visit from MS attorneys. Unless of course it does the same thing with previous version of other browsers also.

Back