Online Gaming: Other Adults Developing Disdain For It?

ChthonicEidolon

Weaksauce
*Note: this is not meant to start a "flame war", nor meant to be "just a rant", but to have a serious and mature discussion regarding the issue presented here. So please, keep it civil and mature. Please, only respond here if you're interested in/can related to/care about the issue, not just to flame with sarcasm.

While it's been discussed here and there by some, due to the serious irritation it's becoming, I felt I wanted to bring up the issue, because I've noticed it getting worse to a great degree in recent years.

Are there any other adults here who enjoy (or once did) online gaming, who've now begun to (or already do) despise it, due to the attitudes of the general populace?

I know I've seen a few people around here over time mention a developing disdain for it, due to the general absurdly rampant immaturity of people today, and I have to admit... after over a decade of PC gaming, I'm finally to that point.

While this might sound like a "commentary on sociological issues", well... in a way, I suppose it is, though related to gaming.

In regards to both younger and older adults alike, it's as if any semblance of maturity and decency have almost dissolved completely. Given that this is the case in every day life in the real world, it's not that it's a surprise, but it is a serious hindrance on something that many mature adults/people enjoy.

Anonymity of the internet is an extremely irritating thing, as there are just far too many people with "false balls" and big mouths, who wouldn't have the spine to even look in your direction, never mind mouth-off to you in-person, were they to meet you in the street.

Fine, it's always been like that, since the days before the internet when there was just gossip... but it's just out of control, and almost completely intolerable to me (as with some others I'm seeing around in increasing numbers) at this point.

To be clear, the issues shouldn't have to be handled by painstakingly attempting to find other mature adults to game with, as that's not a resolve to the problem (though I've tried... hard). Human beings learning how to be mature individuals with some semblance of respect, is what is needed. Of course, that's highly unlikely to happen, hence my finally getting fed to the damn teeth with attempting to enjoy myself (and my wife as well) by indulging in one of my biggest pastimes, only to end up highly irritated, and sometimes downright pissed off, at the attitudes of people in general.

Of course, "Why don't you just play single player games?" is also not the point here, for reasons I shouldn't have to even mention. The multiplayer aspect of gaming is huge, and sometimes the more enjoyable, aspect of games and gaming. Many of the games that people enjoy put heavy emphasis on online multiplayer, or are sometimes strictly multiplayer titles, so "avoiding" online gaming would render many of us "gameless".

I've done the, "just ignore it" thing for far too long, and it's simply just not working anymore, as the immaturity and disrespect have just reached a level where it's almost completely ****ing intolerable. It's a problem I know is getting under the skin of many people more and more in recent times, and it's truly ruining the form of entertainment for many.

There's no denying that people in general have become increasingly miserable and immature in this world (sorry, but that's a fact, not a "negative world-view"; you'd have to be blind not to see it in every day life), and that of course is going to effect others when in a social environment.

Yes, of course... since the dawn of human kind, there have always been assholes, but in the "modern age", it's just totally out of control.

With games that attract younger people as well as older, of course you're going to run into the younger generation who, apparently, aren't being taught any respect at all in this day and age. But even in games that are rated M, meaning you must be at least 18 years of age to play, you'd think you could expect to see some god damned maturity once someone hits that age.

Of course, I know better, as I know people three times that age who act like ****ing children, but that's not the point. The point is, people should have some semblance of real maturity and respect by the time they're young adults, if not long before, and it's absolutely destroying the online gaming experience for many older adults and/or generally more mature individuals.

Being kicked from servers for accidentally putting a few rounds into your teammate, because you're surrounded by smoke, fire and enemies. Being insulted in ways by someone with a mouth I'd smash with a brick in real life, because you "****ed up the plan" or their "plan", whatever that was, then kicked from a server.

How many times in ten years have I accidentally been shot in the ass by someone in an FPS?

How many times have I been killed due to massive aggro in an MMO, because someone got too close to a large group of enemies?

Countless... it happens, and I handle it as any adult should: like and adult.

Due to these things, these people also lose a talented team player, all because people have no maturity, respect, self control and are completely lacking in adult rationale.

I'm definitely not "thin-skinned". Quite the contrary, I'm quite thick-skinned, and don't give a shit about meaningless, petty insults. But there is a "line" at some point.

I must have experienced this in 9 out of 12 different servers with different players over the course of just a few hours in Left 4 Dead last night.

Of course, it's "nothing new", right? It's "too be expected", right? Well, why is that, exactly? Because people cannot act like they're part of what should be a civilized race? I was "used to it" from the beginning of my online gaming days a damn decade ago, but it's really "peaking" at this point, and just about killing the whole multiplayer gaming experience, which used to be enjoyable.

Obviously, there's never a reason or excuse to behave in such a manner, not mention making statements that the DSMV IV would classify as ****ing delusional.

Most gamers these days enjoy online gaming, and you will occasionally run into some individuals who can actually enjoy the damn game, and treat it like what it is: a game... but it's becoming increasingly difficult to enjoy one's self with online gaming today. The general attitudes of people, of all ages, being the main problem, and it's truly starting to effect more and more people who simply cannot and will not tolerate such garbage, when they're doing something that they're doing in attempts to relax and friggin' enjoy themselves.

As some have seen in previous threads I've started, such as one about gaming with your spouse or s/o, I'm an older individual of 34, married to a wife of 30 and have a daughter of 5 years of age. I've been a hardcore gamer since I was a kid. It's one of my biggest passions and something I get much enjoyment from, as does my wife, who games with me a great deal.

Words are just words (to a point), and there's going to be assholes in the world no matter where you go, but there does indeed come a point where people's words, behavior and actions (such as kicking people out of servers etc.) becomes intolerable, and it's really finally starting to destroy the experience and enjoyment of gaming for many people. At least, online gaming that they might really enjoy that perhaps cannot be played offline etc.

MMOs, FPS... doesn't matter... it's people, and it's becoming increasingly difficult to go anywhere in/with online games anymore without being "berated" with harsh insults and generally irritating behavior that really ruins the experience. What the hell happened to maturity, respect and just having fun? It's as if they hardly exist in this world at all anymore.

Gaming with others can be highly enjoyable and, hell, sometimes you end up actually becoming personal friends with those you meet online. But, with people continuing to become more and more nasty, disrespectful and behaving in manners that suggest they either need medication or a good solid ****ing beating, it's really killing one of the most enjoyable hobbies of people around the world these days.

I'm sorry for the rant... but, there have got to be even more here who feel the same, more than the occasional comment I've seen posted about the issue. I just had to vent it, because multiplayer gaming is a hugely enjoyable thing for so many, or used to be... but it's truly starting to feel like a chore to get into a game, get into a server and try/hope to find others who are there for the same reason: to have fun, without acting like a prepubescent, disrespectful low-life and really pissing someone off who, to make things worse, you wouldn't have the balls to in real life.

It's (gaming) also a family thing for many people, such as my self and my wife, but she cant stand it either, and I wont even bother getting into online games with anyone but just the two of us and half-retarded AI, due to the situation these days.

Even searching for supposed "adult gamers" and their websites, unless you know people personally you can get together with, which then you're also limited to that time if you don't want to deal with other people otherwise, multiplayer gaming can end up being a real damn turn-off these days, which is finally starting to happen with me. "Adult" gamers... right... cant say I've run into too many "adult" gamers, from the point of maturity, many times in recent days, and it's only getting worse.

A shame from all perspectives, even going back and thinking when I used to be into competitive gaming, which was still extremely enjoyable, as we still had fun.

Anyway... I'm sure there are many others who feel the same, and since it involves the possible evolution, or should I say "devolution" of multiplayer gaming, I just had to get it out.

Yes, I am tired of sugar-empowered punk kids with big mouths and out of reach of my back hand ruining my online gaming experience, so I pretty much avoid it. Its called getting older I guess. You have to find a niche group, like a clan/club of decent people and avoid random people.

"get off my lawn you kids!!"

Aim for games that don't appeal to the ADD-gamer crowd and you'll have more luck :)

Ive definitely tightened my circle to long time friends who I play online with..Its not as bad on PC as it is on Xbox Live though.

someone needs to create some kind of social network for gamers like us. Have a minimum age, verify identity through a 3rd party perhaps, and then collect a monthly membership fee to rent out private servers. Some might not like paying a $5-10 membership fee, but if it would mean mature gamers that use teamwork in games instead of going rambo(i'm generalizing but I would assume the teamwork would be better than in random servers) i'd gladly pay.

Or maybe i'm just crazy <----- most likely:D

Yes, I am tired of sugar-empowered punk kids with big mouths and out of reach of my back hand ruining my online gaming experience, so I pretty much avoid it. Its called getting older I guess. You have to find a niche group, like a clan/club of decent people and avoid random people.

"get off my lawn you kids!!"

Heh heh. Yeah, believe me, I've been attempting to find that "niche" for many years as things have become increasingly worse with this type of online/in-game behavior. It can be very difficult thing to find. When I have over the years, it's eventually fallen apart, and most people I know don't really game anymore.

Aim for games that don't appeal to the ADD-gamer crowd and you'll have more luck :)

Well, that's the thing... it doesn't make much sense to do that, because then you end up not playing games that you might otherwise truly enjoy. If someone happens to enjoy a game, or type/genre of game that just so happens to attract "more" of this type of behavior, what is one to do? Avoid what one enjoys? Unfortunately, that would lead to missing out on something you enjoy, especially if you don't have a wide range of genres/games that you're into, and it's certainly not a reasonable situation. It's the behavior of people that needs to change, not that we should be avoiding certain things we enjoy. We shouldn't have to do such. I don't have the ADD mentality, but that doesn't mean that you or I should be deprived of enjoyment due to the bad and immature attitudes of both younger and older adults alike.

Ive definitely tightened my circle to long time friends who I play online with..Its not as bad on PC as it is on Xbox Live though.

I wish I could do the same, but as I mentioned above, I don't have a close-knit ring of friends who are gamers anymore... unfortunately.

What I wonder as well, regarding this whole issue, is this: with so many mature people/adults who are indeed getting tired of dealing with the rampant immaturity and "abusive", nasty, ridiculous behavior in-game... (such as being kicked from servers, after being insulted, all out of the lack of being civilized and mature)... what will happen to the worlds of online multiplayer gaming in the future if it continues to get worse, as it has over the years?

I actually know five or six people, personally, who stopped either multiplayer gaming, or gaming all together, out of the frustration of such.

So, I suppose my thread is about the attitudes and mentality of people, and how it effects the enjoyable gaming experience for mature people and adults, both for us personally, as well as perhaps the industry in the future.

I'm sure there will always be kids and other immature PIAs to buy and play online multiplayer games, or multiplayer portions of games, but there are a lot of people ditching much gaming due to the situation.

I don't know... it's just nuts, truly.

someone needs to create some kind of social network for gamers like us. Have a minimum age, verify identity through a 3rd party perhaps, and then collect a monthly membership fee to rent out private servers. Some might not like paying a $5-10 membership fee, but if it would mean mature gamers that use teamwork in games instead of going rambo(i'm generalizing but I would assume the teamwork would be better than in random servers) i'd gladly pay.

Or maybe i'm just crazy <----- most likely:D

You know, you're the furthest thing from crazy, and I'd personally go right along with that idea, hands-down.

If it meant that I (and my wife, for example) could game with other mature adults? I'd say it's actually a genius idea, and if there were actually a way to implement it that others would feel worth investing in (people who gamed enough to feel it was worth it), I'd be the first in line!

My boss isa bout 30 and he loves playing CoD online.

His friends list is empty (beyond his brother in law, another guy from the office, and myself) and he says that he never uses the microphone.

You know, you're the furthest thing from crazy, and I'd personally go right along with that idea, hands-down.

If it meant that I (and my wife, for example) could game with other mature adults? I'd say it's actually a genius idea, and if there were actually a way to implement it that others would feel worth investing in (people who gamed enough to feel it was worth it), I'd be the first in line!

If we can initially get enough people that would be interested I think it would be a great idea. It seems like this is something that people complain about all of the time, so I think it could fill a nice niche.

With PC it's easy enough to only go to servers you frequent (no pubs, ew) that have mature gamers and associate yourself with a mature clan.

'least that's what I've always done, even when I was younger.

im nt a adult but i no wat u mean theirs to many ideots out their onlin it pays too have a few friens + a vetrilo if u wnt 2 hav a lauph u kno??

im nt a adult but i no wat u mean theirs to many ideots out their onlin it pays too have a few friens + a vetrilo if u wnt 2 hav a lauph u kno??

Woooow your jokes are so very clever wally...

what's wrong with that suggestion?

I dunno, i take on a different approach to games online, i played CS for years, and after awhile if i wasnt playing competitively, voice_enable 0, hud_saytext 0

Dont let people online get to you, its the only thing they want.

If you get someone pissed off at you over a game, take it as a compliment.

Then again i try to stay away from emotions over games, but i can see how its possible to begin to stress after awhile.

I dont stay away because I enjoy it too much, however I am very picky about who I play with since I am there to just have fun. I Like winning but its not everything.

Thankfully with valve games I can mute these idiots and enjoy my game lol.

You are an adult, so the purposefully inarticulate writing is either a sarcastic attack, or...? If so, grow up hell up or take it elsewhere. If not, and it's an "attack" on the type of people about whom I'm speaking, then I apologize ahead of time.

Anyway...

Yes, I often try to avoid general pubs, but it's still becoming increasingly difficult to avoid such intensifying garbage in multiplayer gaming.

It's not a matter of letting "emotions get to me", not personally, anyway. However, there is a "line" where it just gets out of control and effects the actual gaming experience, especially if you're getting kicked out of servers, or hounded in some way, just because someone is lacking in maturity and brain cells.

As an example of how it continues to worsen the gaming experience more and more these days...

Hell, just last night in span of only a couple of hours while playing Left 4 Dead, I was kicked from servers and practically ****ing "accosted" by some lunatic fools for one accidental team shooting (no killing or major damage, mind you) because I couldn't see through a swarm of zombies.

Jumped into another server, and ended up leaving after some individual decided to throw at me so articulately, "(insert my name here), you ****ing asshole! You made us all die! You were supposed to be hitting everything on the ladder!" (on which we were trapped in .vs mode, by three Hunters, and I got snagged by a Smoker. I simply replied, "Yeah, *I* caused everyone to die, me alone" and friggin' left.

In yet another server, I saved some kid/guy twice, he's riding me ass behind me, I take out the guys behind him again, accidentally hitting him once. He says, "**** that!!, and blows up two gas canisters and kills me. He gets nailed by the others in the group, asking why the hell he did that, and he says, "I was trying to protect him and he shot me!!". As if I he were so paranoid, that he thought I had just decided to turn around and shoot him for no reason. What!? So I replied in kind with the others, "It was a ****ing accident, it happens, grow up and deal with it..." ...and then I left. I was already dead, so the hell with it... that match was going nowhere.

Now, I don't really give a damn about this in general, but you see how badly it can effect a gaming experience... and who wants to/can tolerate this on a constant basis?

Who has time for this type of immature garbage, which then leads to having to either stop playing the game, or continually struggle to find other mature adults to game with?

It's ridiculous, and eventually pisses everyone off, no matter how thick-skinned, you (like me) might not take it personally, but having some emotionally and mentally unstable individuals mouthing off and/or kicking you from servers for no good reason, will eventually piss off the most thick-skinned of us.

Seriously, are people just that completely emotional unstable and mentally ****ed at this point? These are just examples of the same type of insane garbage I'm seeing increase, making it difficult to enjoy multiplayer gaming anymore. I truly think the sane and insane have switched places, the insane now being the majority on this planet... ridiculous :rolleyes:.

I dont stay away because I enjoy it too much, however I am very picky about who I play with since I am there to just have fun. I Like winning but its not everything.

Thankfully with valve games I can mute these idiots and enjoy my game lol.

Exactly.

Is there a way to actually "mute"/block typing as well?

I seriously don't even want to look at that anymore, even though that effects team work. I can always turn it back on if in a server with "reasonable" individuals.

I always have text/voice disabled. Upon coming online i expect nothing but worthless dribble from any online community.

voice_enable 0 in console + hud_saytext 0 in console

*edit*

In the words so often posted around this forum: "Never attempt to fight with an idiot, they will just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Live it, learn it.

I stay the hell away from any server with 'serious' players. This group of people is the cause of all the problems you are experiencing.

If there's no 'serious' players, there's no microphones, no plan, no admin kicks, no squeakers, and FAR less bitching. And anyone who does bitch tends to get muted by everyone else. Non-clan servers with voice chat off are a good start.

Or maybe i'm just crazy <----- most likely

This would be a great idea!

However, filtering members by age isn't going to do you much benefit - at least, if some people I know IRL are anything to judge by. Instead, both require monthly payment - I'd say for the first year of membership, and permaban people for any immaturity whatsoever.

I'd gladly pay as well.

I was playing Left 4 Dead last night and there was a guy who was CLEARLY white playing Louis (The black guy in the game). He was running around saying things like "Let me get those pills my ni...ga", "I got your back my ni...ga". Basically EVERYTHING HE SAID, and he talked continually, ended with "my ni...ga". After about a minute of this, he suddenly said (a few times) "I roleplay in this game."

Like that is:
A: A valid excuse for his behavior., and
B: Something that he apparently thinks a black guy who was a manager at a business would say simply because he is black and there are zombies around.

Fortunately I got him back. I was playing Bill so I calmly waited for him to say "My ni...ga" to me again, then I turned and shot him in the head. I then explained in a gravely old voice that I Roleplay as well and as a crusty, old, white, former Vietnam Veteran, I can only put up with being called ni...ga for only so long before I lose it. Me and the rest of the people on the server then left him on the ground to die.

Personally I think every game should have a "leave him on the ground to die" option. It is SO much more satisfying to not just kill jerks, but to shoot them and leave them behind, knowing there is nothing they can do to help themselves as they die a slow agonizing death.

I read about 1/2 of your post and I said to myself "yeah, that's the absurdity of online gaming...that's I why I don't play online"

I realize such a vague generalization isn't a sufficient reply to such a lengthy post, but that's the reality of it. I played Guild Wars religiously years back (400 hours) and a couple of others off and on before that. What you described is the state of online gaming, not just today, but to some extent (as I have experienced it) it has always been like that.

Between the monthly fees, crappy graphics, over-balancing (believe it's called nerfing) and borderline sociopathic teammates that are slightly less capable then AI bots, I realized the futility of online gaming.

Not to mention the time it takes to form a party, which is immediately thwarted by two of your teammates dropping out or sabotaging your run. I spend half my time chatting and reading lines of acronyms and jargon, and here's the other major pitfall...no way to pause the damn thing!!! Someone comes to my door, I have to take a piss, someone calls me, I only have 1 hour kill...you name it.

All of this also = no social life. If I want to interact with people and chat, I'll go out. Anyway, it seems like you're just getting older (much like myself) and have outgrown the genre. IMO the online scene has always been like this and it's you that have changed, which is perfectly natural, but you're tolerance for indecency has probably changed.

I do agree with most of your points about the state of society and the anonymity of the internet, but I believe my first statement holds true, it's just what it is, sad yes...

I havent read all the responses yet, but to the OP I feel the same way. I used to be a avid online FPS/RTS gamer and since I have lost my core group of people I have played with I really hate public servers or MMO's chat which is just as bad with no mic. I bought a 360 this year and have only played 2 games on it and trying to sell it because I do not care to play with anyone in the games I like. The mature aspect of a online community has steadly gone downhill. I have TF2 played it for a while and just stopped. I have played serveral MMOs with even people at work and stopped (probably because I am not a fanatical MMO player like these people)

I just bought L4D for the BF 20.00 special so I am going to try that out whenever I get it but I can only imagine how bad 4 man teams are going to be in public servers (especially with people having such a elite mentality in online FPS games now) I am not thrilled about games I once liked anymore because I know the online community is going to be retarded. I would love a mellow group of casual people just to play and chat with while playing not just your dead bitch, or chatting about how to get to the next level. Feel free to PM me if anyone wants a mellow person to play with.

Edit: I also feel that because of stats and gamer profiles that this has caused more problems with people social behavior as well. Example of this when I played BF2 when it was still massively popular the amount of people that would play for stats only was amazing high. And I know peeps love to pad there 360 scores as well. I like achievements as well but not when they affect online multiplayer experience.

Face it, online gaming, especially FPS games, naturally skews to young males. Like, really young males. And I don't know about you guys, but I was a fucking idiot at that age, as I have to imagine most others were/are. Then you combine that with the anonymity the internet affords people, and a culture that rewards even stupider behavior (see: 4chan, /b/, myg0t, griefers, etc.) with attention most of them are apparently totally starved for and you've got a recipe that any sane, sober adult would find utterly repulsive.

On PC I have found this to be much less of a problem. But then again, I have a tendency to frequent the same servers

the internet is what it is. if you can't handle random chatter/shit talk from people who REALLY ARE ANONYMOUS then you may have other lines of thought to consider.

it sounds to me like you obviously have reached the point where only playing with real life friends would suit you.....dunno.

I totally agree with your post, I'm 35 and I started out with online gaming since Quake 1. I build a new system about every 3 years and i'm currently in the middle of a build right now which i've spent half of what I did on my last system. There are alot of immature players online, no doubt. My advise would be to find a mature MMO that charges a monthly fee, thats what i'm doing now.

I'm surprised that people are figuring this out JUST now.

I was 13, when i started playing online - Starcraft. You meet plenty of idiots/assholes on B.Net. You gotta develop a thick skin. This isn't flower petals and roses here, it's the anarchy of online MP.

If you want to get away from that, either go offline or stick with clan members/friends. But to totally swear off online gaming is silly. I'm wondering just how much you even enjoy gaming if you don't have a tolerance for this kind of thing. Play pick-up basketball (or insert sport of choice)? You see this kind of b.s. anywhere. Competition brings out the good and the bad in people.

i want to put some xbox live headphones on the people who call the fcc for nipple slips and someone saying fuck.

their ears would melt.

I think this shift in attitude is partly due to access and temperament. Most of the old gamers I know who aren't hardcore don't shower for a week types, came up during an age where you needed patience and determination to achieve results and extract the fun. If you are over 30 then you probably remember building that old 8088, programming that c64 with a tape drive or making your own shareware... This personality type (anecdotal evidence) in my experience goes on to work as a scientist, engineer or some other technical field where patience and determination are required. Who else would deal with the hassle of BBSing, Mudds or Zork and find it fun?

Now any monkey can be trained to push a couple of buttons and hop on xbox online or Wow and the results speak for themselves. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for equal access but if you make it easy for any idiot to join then you can't be surprised when the hoi polloi come rampaging through your streets. Groucho Marx said it best, “I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member.”

I have found as I get older, time is becoming more valuable to me and as such I tend to lean towards activities I can get the most enjoyment out of with the least amount of hassle. Left4dead is a prime example: 5 or 6 years ago I would have been all over that game but I just can't justify spending the money for the privilege of being insulted (I go to my s.o. for that kind of abuse).

In short: Games used to require effort and intelligence to setup, start and play but were hampered by a lack of a mainstream audience and the budget which follows (Zork and Ultima, I'm looking at you).
Games went mainstream.
The quantity of games and players of said games shot up exponentially while quality stayed on a linear progression.

honestly tl;dr passed the first paragraph.

fact: assholes have always existed.
fact: the internet is accesible to most of the important parts of the world
fact: there will always be assholes on the internet
fact assholes have children who gain access to the internet and further propogate their assholery

simple soluton: deal with it. enjoy your gaming experience, mute/block/ignore those people that you dislike. if these features are not available in-game, do your best to turn down your speakers, minimize your local chat windows, and just play the game.

not meant to be a flame, just a quick reply to your first couple lines.

Welcome to earf.

It's not a problem with gaming, it's a problem with society. Part of my job is to take calls all day from the public. You think gaming has it bad? Try being forced to be nice to some punk you know would never say that shit to your face without being beaten(I guess I technically could say what I want, but would be fired of course) At least in a game you can virtually murder them lol. If I had to take a rough estimate, 1 out of every 10 people are complete assholes<--- and I don't use that word lightly. Call me cynical, but those other 9 out of 10 people I only hold slight disdain for(they are only one bad relationship/job away from being an asshole)and would say the world would not miss the assholes.

I have found myself loading up games I used to like a lot, playing about 10 minutes, quitting and really considering uninstalling it so I won't be tempted to do it again. I might get an hour out of a game if people aren't talking a lot or playing annoyingly but then I usually don't feel like I want to play it again for a good month or two.

Then you add on cheating which all online games seem to get much worse as there are less and less patches.

I figure part of my frustration with it is, I don't improve at the game because I don't play them enough to get really good due to the annoyances. Then when you feel like you're doing pretty well and there's some guy that seems impossible to kill......well he might just be with all the cheats that pop up.

Plus all the development houses of the games I like moving to consoles or doing ports from consoles.....can't say I've been a happy gamer for awhile now.

Yes this is a problem, however whilst i can't speak for left 4 Dead as it is too new to have settled down yet, in other games it is all about finding well admined servers. I used to play cs:s only on one server where i knew everyone and the same for dod:s, found a good server (OCclan) where the minimum age for membership was 30 or so and you knew they would be good players and admins.

One other way is to find a game which practically no one plays. In those obscure games the only ones are people who actually want to play, by far reduces TK/TW incidents and you get a good game most times.

Don't give up, just find better servers, they are out there.

You play on public servers, you have to understand that you have no control over who you play with.

My suggestion to you is to play on private servers with only friends you know and like, avoid the riff raff and enjoy your game, that may mean you have to pool together with friends to buy a server. Additionally there are plenty of small pockets of communities dotted about which you can join, they often have well setup servers with regular admins etc.

I mostly stick to RTS games, and maybe this issue is less tolerable in FPS, but when it comes down to it, who cares? I think maybe some tougher skin would do you well.

If you are in a game with someone who is being harassing, ignore them, If they are being vulgar, profane, racist, etc.. ignore them. Just imagine who is on the other side of that connection -- likely a small, introvert kid who has been given a voice on the internet.

I can't imagine getting worked up, especially to the point of dropping a game I enjoy just because that kid on the other side is (purposefully) trying to get under your skin.

idiots online really just don't bother me when im gaming. if they are actually ruining the gaming experience and somehow blocking me from continuing to play then i'll just find another server. I've met people that absolutely hate playing online due to these circumstances, but i really just can't see how anyone would let it annoy them so much that it ruins the game.

I have also noticed though that the people whom do get annoyed very easily are generally the ones that take the game too seriously and want to play the game "the way it's meant to be played" which is sometimes hard to understand and will actually ruin the game experience for others. Those types will always need a dedicated group on a private server to play happily.

the original team fortress quake had a clan called 30+, I believe their site is 30plus.org They still do some stuff and have expanded into multiple games, but their age requirement was obviously 30+. Way back during quake TF I was 15-18 years of age, but all of the guys that originally founded that clan were very cool gamers. Now being 28 I completely understand their desire to have their own age group of online friends.
I've tried to keep several of my close friends gaming online in a core group, but as of late it has dwindled down to just 2 of us that continually play. We will do xbox 360 and do private chats so we can't hear anyone else. Really, I haven't played a pc game in well over a year since TF2 because I was becoming competitive again and my mood in real life was being affected by lame players online. Yes I know I should be more thick skinned.

TF2, CSS, L4D any of these popular games could easily get away with gaming clubs/leagues/ tourneys only for players that attain a certain age or maturity requirement.
Call it old players live or whatever you want, but people would pay to be in a community where decency was a priority.

In MMOs it isn't quite as bad since your character is an investment and you can get a reputation. It removes some of the anonymity. FPS's though... arg.... I miss Ultima Online. Act like a asshole and everyone slaughters you when you leave town!

Honestly though, I dont mind all of the potty mouthed kids. Stupidity and bossiness is all I can't stand. Then again, I am still only 24.

Face it, online gaming, especially FPS games, naturally skews to young males. Like, really young males. And I don't know about you guys, but I was a fucking idiot at that age, as I have to imagine most others were/are. Then you combine that with the anonymity the internet affords people, and a culture that rewards even stupider behavior (see: 4chan, /b/, myg0t, griefers, etc.) with attention most of them are apparently totally starved for and you've got a recipe that any sane, sober adult would find utterly repulsive.

Haha goodstuff.

Ditto. If it meant never having to hear another pre-pubescent child talking during games of CS:S, I'd sign up in an instant. It'd probably also minimize cheating if there were some sort of large, up-front refundable deposit (let's say $50 to $100) that could be non-refundable in the event a player is caught cheating.

Way to long to read but i'll give a 2 cents worth.

If you don't like it, go do something else.

Back