Onkyo TX-SR608 Clicking Sounds

synergyo1

2[H]4U
Had the receiver for almost a year now. Immediately I noticed that the receiver itself (not through speakers) makes a clicking sounds when the output settings change (for example 7.1 dropped own to 5.1, happens quite a bit when playing media on the PS3). Wasn't bothered by it... until I had cable television installed today. Every other channel outputs something different, so I'm getting clicks all over the place. Is there a way to get rid of the clicking when the sources changed? Or is this common thing?

Had the receiver for almost a year now. Immediately I noticed that the receiver itself (not through speakers) makes a clicking sounds when the output settings change (for example 7.1 dropped own to 5.1, happens quite a bit when playing media on the PS3). Wasn't bothered by it... until I had cable television installed today. Every other channel outputs something different, so I'm getting clicks all over the place. Is there a way to get rid of the clicking when the sources changed? Or is this common thing?

use different source filter for .mkv files. Try Gabest or Solveig source splitter.
Klite Codec pack->Codec tweak tool then change it assuming you have a secondary splitter installed

That's for pc lol sorry. Don't know if its with a different device like ps3. But I know its normally a media splitter issue with mkv files. Check the source

use different source filter for .mkv files. Try Gabest or Solveig source splitter.
Klite Codec pack->Codec tweak tool then change it assuming you have a secondary splitter installed

That's for pc lol sorry. Don't know if its with a different device like ps3. But I know its normally a media splitter issue with mkv files. Check the source

The main problem is with the cable television, but I don't doubt the issue with the PS3 and cable are connected.

Some background info. Samsung plasma TV with 7.1 surround sound. 360, PS3, set top box is inputed to the Onkyo. Onkyo outputs to the TV.

Here's what I've tried so far with the Onkyo:

- Monitor Output: Tried 'Through', 'Auto', and the individual resolutions
- Audyssey is set as the Equalizer
- Dolby EX: Auto and Manual
- Digital Audio Output: Went down the list.. COAX1, COAX2, OPT1, OPT2
- Audyssey Dynamic EQ: On and Off

The PS3 is set to Linear PCM, if I remember correctly.

Set top is a Motorola DCH6200. Audio is set to Advance Stereo. Also tried Advance Matrix. Same deal.

Does it sound like it could be 40cycle hum? It may be caused by the hard drive, try ground the amp chassis to the power strip or whatever you plug your amp into.

No doesn't sound like a hum. It sounds like a click you get when switching over to something, if that makes any sense. Sorta like the clicking sound you make with your mouth. Just a single click. From what I can tell it happens when the source changes audio format (for example from Dolby PLX or whatever to non-Dolby), which happens when changing channels.

I have the same exact receiver and I do not know of a way to get rid of the source clicking. It happens on each receiver I own. What I did though is made the cable box output output the same sound source so the source does not change on the one input. (CBL/SAT input for instance)

Isn't that just the switch that happens when a proprietary encoded stream comes in? All my receivers click whenever it detects a switch from unencoded streams and back.

You could install put a Diamond XS71DDL or a Creative-based card capable of DTS/DDL encoding in your HTPC and have it output DTS or DDL full time so you never hear a switch.

Last edited:
htpc?

Most receivers do that, you can probably force stereo from your cable box which will eliminate the problem. But you won't have surround sound anymore.

This isnt a click through your speakers, correct? I have an Onkyo TX-SR605 and it clicks when I change sources. This is my second unit and the first unit (HDMI Burned up) clicked as well. My father has an earlier model Onkyo and it clicks on source change as well. This is not through the speakers though.

This isnt a click through your speakers, correct? I have an Onkyo TX-SR605 and it clicks when I change sources. This is my second unit and the first unit (HDMI Burned up) clicked as well. My father has an earlier model Onkyo and it clicks on source change as well. This is not through the speakers though.

Nope, not coming out of the speakers. It's coming from the receiver itself. Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to chock this up as being something that can't be avoided and will have to tolerate :)

I have the HT-S5300 HTiB in my computer room. GTX590 on the Blu-Ray input (HDMI1), PS3 on VCR input (HDMI 2), 360 on Cable/Sat input (HDMI 3) and a Viewsonic PDJ6531w DLP projector on the HDMI output... it clicks all over the place and is right next to my desk on an AV rack. You cannot avoid it. It does it when switching inputs and input stream modes change.

Back