Onkyo HT-S9300THX for $180: Should I bite?

Tsumi

[H]F Junkie
I have a chance to get the Onkyo HT-S9300THX system for $180. One of the speakers is broken, and the receiver is non-functional. There is an Onkyo service center nearby me, only about 10 minutes away, and the system should still be under warranty. However, the Onkyo website says that it requires the original receipt, and the owner does not have it.

Anyone have any suggestions/experience with Onkyo? Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Edit: This probably would go better in the Home theaters subforum, would a mod move it there please? Thank you!

That seems really cheap for what that system appears to be going for. I would be leary of getting something unfixable, or expensive to fix.

That's what I'm concerned about too.

As I said, the receiver doesn't work. He says it turns on, but none of the front panel controls work (non-responsive). And one of the smaller speakers is broken. I have a decent receiver that I can get for free, so that's not too much of a concern. Would the speakers on their own be worth about $180?

Look at it this way:

Typically the best part of Onkyo's HTiB systems is the receiver.

On the other hand you are basically getting 6.1 not completely horrible speakers for $180 which isn't easy to do.

Any advice on the warranty? The warranty on the Onkyo receivers and speakers are two years, and the system has been around for just over a year.

Without the original receipt and being the second owner I wouldn't bank on them honoring the warranty. I'm sure they would be happy to fix it for a fee though.

Then you are getting 5 speakers and a sub for $180. Not a bad deal to be sure, provided they all work.

Any idea how much the repair fees would cost?

And thanks for the suggestions everyone!

i have the the 990thx setup, which is the older version. i like it. go for it :)

Any idea how much the repair fees would cost?

And thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Contact the repair center. Most places have a set fee for checking the hardware and they will then tell you what needs to be fixed and the approximate cost. The good shops will apply the "fee" towards the repair cost.

yes, take it.
just the mains, center and sub are probably worth more than $180.

i would not fix the reciever however.

Hmm.. I wonder if I can get someone else to let me borrow their receipt.

Back