Onkyo Home receiver $179.99. Down from $299.99. Newegg.com. 19 hours left!

If you don't appreciate the post, just don't post.
It was part of the flash sales from Newegg. The deal had 19 hours left as of the time of my post.

If you don't appreciate the post, just don't post.
It was part of the flash sales from Newegg. The deal had 19 hours left as of the time of my post.

People wanted to like your deal, the links to Newegg just suck ass.

http://www.neweggflash.com/Product/N82E16886980014?icid=WP_11_08182015

This link woks for me, yours doesn't. I suspect other people are having the same issue.

And who knows wtf Newegg is doing with flash.newegg.xxx and neweggflash.xxx working differently...

Last edited:
That's a nice deal considering all the hdmi inputs! Tempted, but will have to pass for now. Thanks for the heads up op!

So how is this model? I like that it has Spotify Connect support. I have an aging Yamaha 7.1 receiver that only has 2 HDMI inputs, so having 6 would certainly be a luxury. Any subjective sound quality comments? Having a hard time finding reviews...

So how is this model? I like that it has Spotify Connect support. I have an aging Yamaha 7.1 receiver that only has 2 HDMI inputs, so having 6 would certainly be a luxury. Any subjective sound quality comments? Having a hard time finding reviews...

I generally find most modern receivers sound similarly with matching sources. This is presuming you have decent speakers and an appropriate level of power to comfortably drive those speakers. More often than not you should buy based on the features and not sound quality.

Almost all new receivers (like this Onlyo here) have whiz bang automatic room calibration with microphones. definitely something nice to have if your older receiver doesn't have anything similar. I haven't used Onkyo AccuEQ however I suspect it works similarly to other systems.

Update: Turns out a lot of people think AccuEQ isn't great compared to other room calibration systems.

Last edited:
Just keep in mind that Onkyo receivers tend to run a little hot so keep them away from heating vents, etc. Also, this particular model is 5.2, if all you're doing is hooking up a pair of speakers just grab a Onkyo TX-8050 receiver, its got only two channels and sounds a lot better (got one in the basement for the home gym).

Just keep in mind that Onkyo receivers tend to run a little hot so keep them away from heating vents, etc. Also, this particular model is 5.2, if all you're doing is hooking up a pair of speakers just grab a Onkyo TX-8050 receiver, its got only two channels and sounds a lot better (got one in the basement for the home gym).

I just rigged up (2) 120mm fans @5v on top of mine to keep it nice and cool.

I just had to chime in and thank the op & others. I grabbed this unit for my HTPC.

...now I've just got to hop on one of those occasional seasonal speaker deals we get for a Center Channel & Woofer.

Instead of putting "only 19 hours left' in the subject, it would be better if you state the expiration date/time/time zone, such as "expires 8/22/15 11 pm ET" or whatever it was since it was a pretty time sensitive deal.

Anyway, Onkyo receivers are nice. They don't look pretty, but they're pretty solid. I have 3 of their receivers.

Don't buy Onkyo - their caps fry on their HDMI boards and you are left with nothing. Don't ask me how I know...

Don't buy Onkyo - their caps fry on their HDMI boards and you are left with nothing. Don't ask me how I know...

Agreed. Purchased one about 4 years ago, died due to caps after a year... bought a Yamaha and happy ever since... and less heat, better performance in general.

Do some research on the Onkyo's and hdmi failures due to cap's, etc. Not good.

Anyone who had a unit produced during their "network chip" issues has a warranty extension until Dec 31st 2018. This covers their long run of bad HDMI boards I believe, a lot of people have gotten HDMI boards replaced under this program. The bad receiver were made from 2009 to 2012 and Onkyo even sends you a prepaid box to return the unit.

So yes they produced some crap, however they are attempting to make it right. A bit too late for some people...

My previous receiver was an Onkyo that had a fuse blue for the front panel. I started taking the receiver apart and the internals were such a needless mess I gave up and bought a Denon replacement. Fuses should be in area where they can be realistically replaced, since they are fuses and all... Anyway that receiver gave me over a decade of use so I wasn't too heartbroken over it.

Last edited:
Back