Onkyo 575W, 5.2Channel, 4k, 3d Receiver $250, today only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh this reminds me, going to need a 4K receiver by end of this year since I plan on upgrading my old living room set.

I'm seriously tempted even though I have a perfectly-working Yamaha in my HT system right now.

Nice. Looks like Amazon price matched later this morning, since it wasn't the same when I posted.
That said, it's probably better to go to Best Buy with something like this, since if you have to return it, it will cost an arm and a leg. But that's my 2c.

Onkyo has an extremely bad reputation for their support. Won't risk buying anything from them.

Onkyo has an extremely bad reputation for their support. Won't risk buying anything from them.

Maybe, but to date I've had several Onkyo receivers and never had an issue such that I needed to deal with Onkyo. Besides that, the retailers always cover the manufacturer warranty (2 years on this one), so if I ever have any issues, I just return and exchange.

Nice. Looks like Amazon price matched later this morning, since it wasn't the same when I posted.
That said, it's probably better to go to Best Buy with something like this, since if you have to return it, it will cost an arm and a leg. But that's my 2c.

Amazon has free shipping on returns and they're generally hassle free. They're the only online retailer I'd buy a monitor from. I had a cheap $180 22 inch come with one stuck pixel and I returned it with them cross-shipping me a new one for free. Just checkmark that it was defective (imo anything with a pixel that doesn't work is defective).

Amazon has free shipping on returns and they're generally hassle free. They're the only online retailer I'd buy a monitor from. I had a cheap $180 22 inch come with one stuck pixel and I returned it with them cross-shipping me a new one for free. Just checkmark that it was defective (imo anything with a pixel that doesn't work is defective).

But I'm impatient, damnit! :D

Ugh this reminds me, going to need a 4K receiver by end of this year since I plan on upgrading my old living room set.

I would wait for the newer models coming out this year if you will be going full 4K. This is due to the newer HDCP 2.2 which will be needed for 4K content. I believe the Onkyo 636 and up have 2.2 and the new high end Denon X7200 has it as well. Most of the AVR from 2014 have HDMI 2.0 but still the older HDCP.

If you will continue with 1080P then none of this matters. Just an FYI for those looking to buy this year like myself.

Link:
HDCP 2.2

In for one! My current onkyo has been fantastic, but it's getting a little dated.

Onkyo 805 here still running strong since release. Best receiver I've ever used, probably has the best amp section of almost any receiver ever made.

Maybe, but to date I've had several Onkyo receivers and never had an issue such that I needed to deal with Onkyo. Besides that, the retailers always cover the manufacturer warranty (2 years on this one), so if I ever have any issues, I just return and exchange.

What retailers will cover this after 30 days? Best Buy is listed as the seller in the OP. Very much doubt they'll give much leeway beyond 30 days. Am I wrong?

What retailers will cover this after 30 days? Best Buy is listed as the seller in the OP. Very much doubt they'll give much leeway beyond 30 days. Am I wrong?

Yes. Best Buy covers the manufacturer warranty for ***almost*** all products they sell. Having worked there, it's standard procedure.
You can't return/refund it, but they will switch you out for a new one (I worked there for 4 years, and did this recently with a GTX460, getting a 660 in return :eek:)

I called support twice for current Onkyo receiver, once under warranty and once well past. Both times my issue was resolved. If their support is notoriously bad, I have not been witness to it.

I called support twice for current Onkyo receiver, once under warranty and once well past. Both times my issue was resolved. If their support is notoriously bad, I have not been witness to it.

Go read the reviews on all of their receivers. Support is the number one issue, and it's very unkind.

Take it for what it's worth. If the price is right and these reports don't bother a prospective buyer, then buy it.

Yes. Best Buy covers the manufacturer warranty for ***almost*** all products they sell. Having worked there, it's standard procedure.
You can't return/refund it, but they will switch you out for a new one (I worked there for 4 years, and did this recently with a GTX460, getting a 660 in return :eek:)

Well I didn't know that. Very good information and that changes the equation completely.

Thanks for letting everyone know.

Well I didn't know that. Very good information and that changes the equation completely.

Thanks for letting everyone know.

No problem. It's kind of like their "secret menu." It's company policy, but they don't advertise it. For obvious reasons, considering the margin on those service plans. But for things with lifetime warranties (like many graphics cards), it makes paying the extra bit in taxes (sometimes) a no-brainer.

No problem. It's kind of like their "secret menu." It's company policy, but they don't advertise it. For obvious reasons, considering the margin on those service plans. But for things with lifetime warranties (like many graphics cards), it makes paying the extra bit in taxes (sometimes) a no-brainer.

So BB will honor manufacturers warranties without having purchased any additional warranty from them? Just want to be clear. It's no small matter.

So BB will honor manufacturers warranties without having purchased any additional warranty from them? Just want to be clear. It's no small matter.

On MOST products (the exceptions are usually unilaterally-priced products like Bose, Dyson, Apple, etc), yes. And their new service plans start AFTER the manufacturer's warranty. That's not a big deal for most things that have a 30 or 90 day warranty.but some things, like the 2 year on this one, it matters.

BIG asterisk: it's been a few years since I worked there. I did do my GTX460-GTX660 exchange about 18 months ago, so there's no reason to think it doesn't still apply, but just in case, ymmv.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Help-To...400050042&searchresults=1&searchterm=warranty
And the PSP T&Cs: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/global-...006&type=category&h=488&id=pcmcat340200050006

See section 3b.

25 years ago Onkyo was considered entry level mid-fi, right behind Denon and Yamaha receivers. No idea how they stack now as that was a long time ago.

I also remember the Denons being bright and forward sounding, a disaster when paired with the bright Infinity speakers of the time, but stunning sounding when paired with Mirage speakers.

Similarly, Yamaha was a disaster when paired with the laid back, warm Mirage, but stellar when paired with Infinity.

Wondering if any of this has changed over the years and how the Onkyos sound.

Can't help you there. My home receiver is a mid-range Yamaha, and it has Polk (center and rear) and Boston Acoustic CR-5s (Front) speakers plugged in. I'm no audiophile, but I have been very happy so far with the setup. Still don't have a sub, since I live in a row-home, but when i get my house... someday... I'll finish the set.

I bought my receiver as a refurbished unit.
2-3 years later, it died with the dreaded issue that apparently hit a lot of receivers; the hdmi board, or whatever, took a crap and I no longer had audio.
Onkyo got it repaired under warranty, even though it was years past the 90-day warranty of a refurbished unit.

As we all know, those with bad experiences are much more vocal than those with good experiences.

I bought my receiver as a refurbished unit.
2-3 years later, it died with the dreaded issue that apparently hit a lot of receivers; the hdmi board, or whatever, took a crap and I no longer had audio.
Onkyo got it repaired under warranty, even though it was years past the 90-day warranty of a refurbished unit.

As we all know, those with bad experiences are much more vocal than those with good experiences.

Can you tell me when that was?

25 years ago Onkyo was considered entry level mid-fi, right behind Denon and Yamaha receivers. No idea how they stack now as that was a long time ago.

I also remember the Denons being bright and forward sounding, a disaster when paired with the bright Infinity speakers of the time, but stunning sounding when paired with Mirage speakers.

Similarly, Yamaha was a disaster when paired with the laid back, warm Mirage, but stellar when paired with Infinity.

Wondering if any of this has changed over the years and how the Onkyos sound.

Not all Onkyos sound the same. They have entry and mid level receivers(and a couple semi-high level ones). Teh mid level starts at the 8 series and up. All receivers under the 8 series are somewhat bright but lean towards neutral. 8 series and up are neutral while leaning slightly towards warm. The high level ones have almost no coloring of sound at all being completely neutral. On the whole onkyo receivers could be called neutral though.

Last Onkyo I had I bought new. Lasted 5 years and 5.1 got screwed on it. Sold it on Craigslist on the cheap and bought a used Yamaha which has been working great ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back