OnePlus Z, the droid we're looking for?

Glad they're doing this. I'm on OnePlus phone #3 and don't see any reason to stop, they've all been phenomenal. The issue was the sticker shock i started to see when picking up my OP6T and now clearly see with the OP8 Pro. Something was going to have to be done to once again offer a cheaper alternative.

OnePlus made their name by selling near flagship spec'd phones, but minus some features, and had a near vanilla stock Android UI, and all that for a super budget affordable price. I bought the OnePlus One for $299, and LOVED that phone, at that time flagships like the latest iPhone 6 Plus and Samsung Galaxy were selling for $749.

I get it, that super cheap price wasn't going to last forever with OnePlus, and I expected some creep up in pricing each model, but F me, not $1,000+ now. Sorry but screw that price for a OnePlus phone, or heck any phone for that matter. I think a fair price for the OnePlus 8 Pro should be like in the $699 / $749 range.

Some of their best models and pricing at launch;

OnePlus One was $299/$349 @ launch
OnePlus 3T was $439 @ launch
OnePlus 5T was $499 @ launch
OnePlus 6T was $549 @ launch
OnePlus 7 Pro was $669 @ launch
OnePlus 8 Pro is currently $900+

So it seems each year OnePlus increased the price anywhere from $50 to $100 annually. Lets do the middle which would be $75 per year, so 6 years later that's approx. $450, add that to the $300 price of the original OnePlus One, and that would put the OnePlus 8 Pro @ approx. $750, which to me is fair, not bad. But $1,000 NO WAY.

My question, the 7 Pro was $670 @ launch, now the 8 Pro is $900 @ launch, that's a huge jump up in price between the 7P and 8P, by far their biggest leap in pricing between model years. Because OnePlus have been on an annual trend of $50 to $100 price increases each year, then all of a sudden a massive $225+ increase from last year.

Last edited:
If the camera is good and it's a reasonable price then I'll upgrade from my 6

I still love my 5T. Paid 450 for the 128 GB storage and 8GB model. Still performs amazing well and was worth every penny. I miss nothing that was left off, though I would have paid 50 more for an improved camera.

The 6T was decent but the price jumps are just crazy. This looks intriguing so I hope they go back to what made them popular and let Samsung waste trying to hock $2000 dollar phones.

I still love my 5T. Paid 450 for the 128 GB storage and 8GB model. Still performs amazing well and was worth every penny. I miss nothing that was left off, though I would have paid 50 more for an improved camera.

The 6T was decent but the price jumps are just crazy. This looks intriguing so I hope they go back to what made them popular and let Samsung waste trying to hock $2000 dollar phones.
My 5T was one of the best bang-for-the-buck phones I've ever owned. I'm pretty stoked for this OP Z!

I hope they launch such phones as widely as possible. And they are pricing it at the sweet spot.
They better keep up their promise of providing better phones at competitive prices.

One Plus has been great. I took One Plus One as my first phone and I fell in love with it. This OnePlus Z should be as good hype-wise as its first predecessor was.

After years of Nexuses I picked up and had a 5t for two years and loved it. It started boot looping so I picked up a 8 (non-pro). Wish it was cheaper but my other phone was dead. Looking forward to what the Z and 4a will be in real life. I'm also very happy for the iPhone SE people. About time they had a non-rapey priced phone.

Who decided to name the phone Nord? Don't think I could buy a phone named Nord. "Hey everyone check my new Nord" If that makes me shallow I can live with it.

Who decided to name the phone Nord? Don't think I could buy a phone named Nord. "Hey everyone check my new Nord" If that makes me shallow I can live with it.
Based on hype I don't think they will have any trouble selling the phones. It is way wierd name but who cares...

If OP could get their camera software up to Google or Samsung's level at least, I would definitely be considering this. Else I may still be looking at the 4a or 5 if Google pulls their head out of their ass with their specs and pricing.

Have a Nord on the way for the wife. I convinced her she needed a new phone just so I could play with it...

I hope it gets a US release soon. If the camera is good I'll likely move on from my 6

I hope it gets a US release soon. If the camera is good I'll likely move on from my 6

Lots of relatively cheap drop shippers out of the EU. Mine cost me $8.99 fee after a coupon code.

Reactions: TMCM
like this
After watching MKBHD's video, its pretty clear the US release for this particular phone isn't happening, however there are more phones coming the "Nord" line that will have NA releases to look out for. Marques is about the only person I listen to in this space. Keep in mind he had a multi hour interview with Carl Pei just a few weeks ago.

After watching MKBHD's video, its pretty clear the US release for this particular phone isn't happening, however there are more phones coming the "Nord" line that will have NA releases to look out for. Marques is about the only person I listen to in this space. Keep in mind he had a multi hour interview with Carl Pei just a few weeks ago.

He's the only tech reviewer I'll even watch videos of. I'm still old school text and pictures guy for reviews but he's so easy to listen to and respectable and seems genuinely unbiased.

Yeah I think it was made pretty clear it's not coming to the US and not suitable to import it on your own. Just wait for the next model in the lineup.

Back