OnePlus One specs starting to be announced

I had originally purchased the Nexus 5 32gb from the PlayStore when they were released but found that I did not need the extra space and ended up selling the 32gb version and getting the 16gb later and used that until I picked up my Note 3.

Much like a computer, if you buy what you need or actually use then you can get the value you are looking for.

It's good that they have options though as other users will want more storage if there is no SD card option.

5.5" screen :(

Oh well, there goes my hopes for this being the coolest best phone of 2014. Why can't a sub 5" phone be high end anymore ? I loved the 4.7" / 4.8" screen the best, and 5" screen the largest I'll go. At 5.5" why not just get a Note 3 ?

This phone as #1 on my must buy list, now not even on my list anymore. I am sick of these huge phones that are nearly impossible to operate one handed, sole.

They are saying this 5.5" screen fits into the same footprint as a 5" size. Well yeah when they compared it to the Sony Z1 5" size, but that phone is the largest of the 5" smartphones, let's see this 5.5" be the same footprint as the Galaxy S4, then we're talking.

Yeah, that's one of my thoughts too, that comparing with the Z1 is kinda misleading. I like the tech in that screen but I kinda wish it were more like the GS4 in footprint.

Still, 5.5" is huge and the power-saving tech is really neat.

Z1 - 144mm x 74mm x 8.5mm

Note 3 - 151.2 x 79.2 x 8.3

So the Note 3 is larger in all dimensions than the Z1 other than thickness and the OnePlus is smaller physically than the Z1 so I believe getting a screen near the size of the Note 3 I a body smaller than the Z1 is pretty impressive.

The more I hear about this phone, it sounds very high end in a good way. I am not sure how they will keep this in the Nexus phone price range of around $400 ?

I could see it maybe falling in the middle, more than the Nexus 5 @ $399, but less than a brand new Note 3 @ $650. So maybe around $525, or competitive $499 price point ?

What they have stated is that it I'm will be under $400. I would assume that is for the 16gb version. They don't appear to plan on having a marketing budget ala Samsung or Apple so they are not spending money that way. Word of mouth through their website, forums like this and social media will be used to spread the word.

It sounds to good to be true but I don't believe we will have to wait much longer as the next reveal is March 16 (camera?) and then there is only one item left on the blurry picture that is left.

Are any of the major carriers picking up this phone? Or is this just buy the phone flat out like the Sony?

This sounds like it will be like the Nexus. GSM and off contract. At under $400 it sounds to be a great deal.

Under $400 is an excellent deal. I've been searching for a new phone lately and really want 2014 tier specs such as 2.5k panels and the S805/K1. But I'm willing to have some compromises if pricing comes into play.

I hope this will have a removable battery though, I'm a heavy user and the ability to pop in new battery is invaluable to me, a definite make or break kind of thing.

It's not removeable. Instead, they packed a 3100mah battery into the phone and have extra power saving tech (e.g., the screen uses much less energy when the image isn't changing).

My criticism of the Htc One has always been that if they were going to make it non-removeable, they better pack a larger battery. The 1+1 does this so I'm willing to not immediately write it off.

This smartphone is sounding like a beast, and will be one of, if not the best smartphone of 2014. But at that killer affordable price you are shooting for, I am afraid this phone will be sold out in minutes, and out of stock.

The Nexus line of phones have had a recent history of having extremely high demand on launch, but with very low supply, and taking months to replenish. I think the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5, both had a couple hundred thousand orders in the first week, if I am not mistaken ?

Will the One+ have sufficient supply to meet demand ?

Will the One+ have sufficient supply to meet demand ?

Good question and I don't believe there is anyway to know right now. Like everything else we will need to wait and see.

I'm hoping they learn from the debacle of the Nexus launch and have sufficient supply to meet demand as I do plan on picking one up. So far there has been no mention of a pre-order release date so until more is revealed it is just a guessing game.

I wonder if it will have a controller chip or do it in software? If it's software then it will be the first thing I shut off.

The Snapdragon 800 and up have dedicated hardware for that. However, it's up to the phone manufacturer to actually use it.

Are any of the major carriers picking up this phone? Or is this just buy the phone flat out like the Sony?

T-Mobile would be the only one to possibly carry it and I'm betting they don't. The phone is GSM so Sprint and Verizon (Verizon wouldn't carry it anyways due to it being unlockable) are out. AT&T is out because they won't sell unlockable phone.

The Snapdragon 800 and up have dedicated hardware for that. However, it's up to the phone manufacturer to actually use it.

Yep. Proof of concept of this was recently shown on the Nexus 5. This would work on any device with a Snapdragon 800.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1ANpeexBTQ

Guillaume Lesniak did it but can't release the files or code required to make it work due to legal reasons.

I am just afraid this phone will be constantly out of stock. I mean they said are trying to keep this around the $400 price tag, and have pretty much equal or better specs than the big flagships like the Galaxy S5 and HTC Two, that cost $650 off contract.

I am just afraid this phone will be constantly out of stock. I mean they said are trying to keep this around the $400 price tag, and have pretty much equal or better specs than the big flagships like the Galaxy S5 and HTC Two, that cost $650 off contract.

They have repeatedly stated that there will be no pre-orders, so it may be like trying to get a Google Nexus on launch. I'll be curious to see what they will have setup to hopefully avoid that scenario.

I'll be genuinely surprised if they do manage to keep it $400, given the specs that they've released so far. Then again, if these aren't intended to make a profit (like the Nexus line) I could see them doing that.

You'll note that they're specifically not picking the absolute top of the line but instead going for 90% of maximum in every area instead.

For example, the use of the SD800 instead of the SD801. Combined with them also saying they're not here to make max profit, they're a good chance the 16GB will be $400 and the 64GB model $500.

I'll be genuinely surprised if they do manage to keep it $400, given the specs that they've released so far. Then again, if these aren't intended to make a profit (like the Nexus line) I could see them doing that.
If the Google/LG Nexus 5 at $350 made a profit last year, why wouldn't nearly the same specs almost a year later at $400 make money? The most expensive upgrades I see are the battery and the casing.

Looks like they changed their minds on proc?

Going to use the 801, guess its going to be widely available at the time of production.....because if I recall that was their issue and reason for using the 800....

http://phandroid.com/2014/03/24/oneplus-one-snapdragon-801/

Many hopeful OnePlus One owners expressed a hint of dissatisfaction with the fact that the device would come with a Snapdragon 800 processor. While that chipset is no weakling in today’s society, it wouldn’t have been the latest and greatest available. That title goes to the Snapdragon 801, which is inside the Samsung Galaxy S5 and expected to be inside the all new HTC One.

Thankfully, OnePlus listened to cries to make the phone more “current,” and have sneakily updated their specs sheet to show that they have, in fact, decided to go with the Snapdragon 801 for their first smartphone. They did so with a quick update to their Google+ cover photo.

Snapdragon 801 is a quad-core 2.5GHz SoC that boasts a 28nm process, Adreno 330 GPU, QuickCharge for 75% faster battery charging, integrated LTE, support for Bluetooth 4.0, WiFi ac, 4K video recording and more.

It’s satisfying to see a company willing to be so open about their phone while it’s still in the making. What we didn’t expect was for them to be receptive to user suggestions and complaints and actually act on them. It goes back to their commitment of wanting to deliver the best specs at the best price, and we’re glad to see them staying true to that promise in any way they can.

We still don’t have the full suite of details about this phone, but OnePlus will undoubtedly reveal everything we need to know in the weeks and months to come (especially considering we’re getting quite close to the Q2 2014 release window set forth by the company)

I'm not sure if you could say the 801 is more "current" over the 800, it is a refresh...

Either way, I'm excited to see this phone, I hope this isn't too much hype for their product.

Qualcomm is reducing production of Snapdragon 800 probably is the primary reason for switching to 801.

:eek: :D :)

Who wouldn't buy this phone, compared to like the GPE HTC One ( M8 ) which will cost like $650.

I think this OnePlus One is easily the best new phone of 2014 so far, better than the S5 and One M8

And all we know are rumors!

Haha dude, let the phone release first!

And all we know are rumors!

Haha dude, let the phone release first!

What rumors ? This shit is so easy to predict, and get 90% correct.

Fact: HTC One ( M8 ) GPE is real and official, sells for $700 ;
http://www.androidcentral.com/google-play-edition-htc-one-m8-official

Fact: OnePlus One major specs have been officially listed, and will sell for $400;
https://plus.google.com/102032589992734862411/posts
- Snapdragon 801
- 5.5" screen
- 3,100mAh battery
- 3GB RAM
- Will be announced next month April 23rd, and on sale before Summer.

Wow, very interesting. I havent heard of it till now. Considering I already paid $790 for my pre-order of the Sony Xperia Z2 this looks like a steal lol. I might get this just to see.

Have a few doubts -

1. Will this phone be sold by Google on the Play store? That would dramatically increase sales (and visibility).

2. What about dev support? That is one of the big selling points for the Nexus line. The Oneplus runs a custom CM rom, does this mean other AOSP rom's won't work? Will the phone hardware components be totally open with no proprietary drivers?

It seems like this and the N5 are the only real options for buying a decent, cheap phone.

What rumors ? This shit is so easy to predict, and get 90% correct.

Fact: HTC One ( M8 ) GPE is real and official, sells for $700 ;
http://www.androidcentral.com/google-play-edition-htc-one-m8-official

Fact: OnePlus One major specs have been officially listed, and will sell for $400;
https://plus.google.com/102032589992734862411/posts
- Snapdragon 801
- 5.5" screen
- 3,100mAh battery
- 3GB RAM
- Will be announced next month April 23rd, and on sale before Summer.

Well considering they already changed the specs they originally claimed were locked in, I think it stands a chance to change again.

Before someone mentions no LTE, One+1 already posted that it would support 9 4G LTE bands: 1/3/4/7/17/38/39/40/41

Assuming wikipedia is up-to-date on global usage of LTE, this phone (One+1) will have 4G in:
North America: Canada, USA (AT&T, T-Mobile, but limited Verizon and Sprint)
Most of Asia, but limited in Japan
Most of Europe, except Belgium
Nearly all of Africa
Middle East
Oceania (Australia, Fiji, New Zealand)
The Caribbean, except Tricom in Dominican Republic
South America (Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Columbia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Mexico, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela (Digitel))

Unless carriers pick this up it won't see widespread adaptation, even if carriers pick it up it probably won't see widespread adaptation this year.

Well, until I see proof that this phone works with either AT&T or TMo 4G, I wouldn't get too excited yet. For all we know, you might as well just as the Moto G if LTE doesn't work. There are things like reception that we don't know about. Motorola consistently have the best reception due to superior antenna designs. How well is the One+1 made? And One+1 being new might get in trouble with licensing, etc. Heck, I think HTC can easily score injunctions against One+1 selling in America/Taiwan/Japan/EU, not that HTC would do it of course.

Hyping a phone this severely before seeing it is just begging for a letdown.

The way this company teases specs and pricing is almost upworthy-esque, and yet people seem to be eating it up.

People theorizing that it will be affordable because it isn't using the latest and greatest...then they upgrade the processor, mitigating that logic. I just don't want anyone's feelings hurt if the black box's contents disappoint.

Back