OnePlus One specs starting to be announced

Funny that they say that the Snapdragon 800 is best in the world, when the Snapdragon 801 is already available.

Funny that they say that the Snapdragon 800 is best in the world, when the Snapdragon 801 is already available.

I don't believe they said that the SD800 was the best in the world, Peter Lau, head of OnePlus, put up a post on their forum explaining why they chose the 800:

Reading through the forums and our social media, there are differing opinions among you when it comes to which components make up the perfect smartphone. But when it comes to the processor, you overwhelmingly prefer a Qualcomm chip. I agree, my engineers agree, and we have chosen the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800, a 2.3 GHz quad-core chipset with 4G connectivity and an excellent performance/power consumption ratio.

We spent countless hours trying out the latest CPUs. Ultimately, it was clear that the Snapdragon 800 provided the best speed, battery consumption and heat management. It also allows us to get our product in your hand faster, with the highest optimization. We didn’t want to announce our product, only to be able to ship it six months later.

Are there newer CPUs on the market? Yes, and the higher number may have given us a slight marketing advantage while not providing any noticeable change in performance. But ‘Never Settle’ doesn't mean we tip the scale to one extreme, and let our users suffer the imbalance. We’re completely confident that this is the best choice to deliver a product with the best overall user experience and performance on time for Q2.

The 801 is hardly a jump over the 800. Im looking forward to the 805 which will be a jump worth buying into

I used to be concerned about the spec war as well but try a Moto X and see what can be done when software is optimized. Moto X does not have the best specs on paper or in synthetic benchmarks but in everyday use it feels very quick. Much like computers, most of the components are already fast enough to produce a great user experience. It should now be about actual screen on time battery life and software optimization for a great user experience. Camera functionality, voice commands, etc. can all be improved on most phones but spec wise, I don't see the need for mass changes to CPU and RAM unless you are interested in having the phone with the best benchmarks.

AnandTech did a nice little article on Android benchmarks awhile back and summarized it as:

The hilarious part of all of this is we’re still talking about small gains in performance. The impact on our CPU tests is 0 - 5%, and somewhere south of 10% on our GPU benchmarks as far as we can tell. I can't stress enough that it would be far less painful for the OEMs to just stop this nonsense and instead demand better performance/power efficiency from their silicon vendors.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7384/state-of-cheating-in-android-benchmarks

I don't believe they said that the SD800 was the best in the world, Peter Lau, head of OnePlus, put up a post on their forum explaining why
think he should drop the tag lines of "best hardware" and "built using only the best components and 2014 flagship specs, both inside and out" if he thinks a little delay could make them fail to meet the deadline.

Agreed. I think most Android vendors could learn from Apple's mantra that the hardware/software combination, whatever it may be, is used to provide the ultimate user experience. Get away from the What (hardware specs) and concentrate on the Why (best user experience) .

I don't believe they said that the SD800 was the best in the world, Peter Lau, head of OnePlus, put up a post on their forum explaining why they chose the 800:

Reading through the forums and our social media, there are differing opinions among you when it comes to which components make up the perfect smartphone. But when it comes to the processor, you overwhelmingly prefer a Qualcomm chip. I agree, my engineers agree, and we have chosen the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800, a 2.3 GHz quad-core chipset with 4G connectivity and an excellent performance/power consumption ratio.

We spent countless hours trying out the latest CPUs. Ultimately, it was clear that the Snapdragon 800 provided the best speed, battery consumption and heat management. It also allows us to get our product in your hand faster, with the highest optimization. We didn’t want to announce our product, only to be able to ship it six months later.

Are there newer CPUs on the market? Yes, and the higher number may have given us a slight marketing advantage while not providing any noticeable change in performance. But ‘Never Settle’ doesn't mean we tip the scale to one extreme, and let our users suffer the imbalance. We’re completely confident that this is the best choice to deliver a product with the best overall user experience and performance on time for Q2.
In other words they set out to build a no compromise phone and realized that you have to compromise to hit price points.

Agreed, Verizon should be moving away from CDMA in the next couple of years. No clue on what Sprint plans to do
in case you're wondering everyone is moving to VoLTE. Verizon has already begun testing. Sprint's current voice over wifi is using the VoLTE technology that they plan on using.

Currently I'm guessing that Sprint would probably be the first to bring VoLTE to the masses.

I can deal with having an 800 chipset (which is a 2013 flagship chip in a supposedly 2014 flagship phone) because like most of you I don't think that there would be much if any in the way of real world difference between say an 801 and a 800. HTC did a nice job of optimizing their software on last years One. What WILL be a deal breaker for me is if HTC decides to keep that shitty 4 megapixel camera on this new flagship. Ultrapixels are nice and I'm all for low light improvements, but can they please put that on at least an 8 megapixel sensor?

Last edited:
Is this that official 'Cyanogen' phone that Steve the owner of CM ROM was talking about last year ?

He said they would come out with their own phone, made by a smaller manufacturer, and this CM phone would be a Nexus phone competitor, something along the price and size of the current Nexus phone, but with near top of the line specs, while still being affordable off contract.

Is that this phone ?

And I am not talking about the Oppo n1, that's a whole different phone that just comes with the option to have CM11 ROM pre-installed. I was talking about the very specific Cyanogenmod smartphone, that the crew at CM said would be out in 2014, and would be more along the lines of a Nexus pure stock type smartphone, sold at a competitive price, with nearly top specs.

Last edited:
in case you're wondering everyone is moving to VoLTE. Verizon has already begun testing. Sprint's current voice over wifi is using the VoLTE technology that they plan on using.

Currently I'm guessing that Sprint would probably be the first to bring VoLTE to the masses.

LTE is a GSM technology I believe, which is good. CDMA just fragmented Verizon and Sprint from the rest, plus the 3G technologies for CDMA are shit compared to the fake 4G, 3G of GSM networks.

LTE is a GSM technology I believe, which is good. CDMA just fragmented Verizon and Sprint from the rest, plus the 3G technologies for CDMA are shit compared to the fake 4G, 3G of GSM networks.
If Qualcomm actually made updates to CDMA... the problem was that the GSM structures in place around the world are harder to break through even with the power of Qualcomm due to government policy. Not that I'm against those policies. I like competition; the policies of many country have all carriers sharing the same bands, so no one can complain about inferior radio spectrum like 700 Mhz vs 1900 Mhz. Qualcomm learned their lesson on CDMA, so they deliberately sabotaged WIMAX.

CDMA is also used in China and Japan. I dunno how fast China is trying to move off CDMA; they don't seem to care too much about data speed, as opposed to just the ability to track people... While Japan is moving to VoLTE "soon" too.

I was talking about the very specific Cyanogenmod smartphone, that the crew at CM said would be out in 2014, and would be more along the lines of a Nexus pure stock type smartphone, sold at a competitive price, with nearly top specs.

Yes, this is that One. Sounds very interesting. Nexus like in specs and price and running CM.

Worth keeping an eye on to see what the actual phone turns out to be.

Yes, this is that One. Sounds very interesting. Nexus like in specs and price and running CM.

hopefully something like this:

Cool thanks, this phone is #1 on my radar now. Just don't gimp on the battery guys, give us 3,000mAh :D

Looks like the HTC One, Nexus 5 and Note 3 had a 3-way and One+ One was born with the body of the HTC One, brains of the Nexus (CM rather than stock Android though) and battery of the Note 3.

There's also some iPhone 5 DNA in there with the circular buttons and a bit of the chamfer.

Just so you know guys, that image I posted is a concept pic of the best thing of all phones combined as of May 2013.

Same sized battery as my note 2 with better battery life, I'll only have to charge that phone once every 3 days. I make it almost 48 hours on my note 2 between charges now.
I'm wondering what the price will be for this. If its $349.99 I'll buy one in a heartbeat

Supposedly under $400.

You know what they say about things that are too good to be true?

Well, I think this is one of those cases.

That is a price that gets my attention!

Drum up the hype and then say "oops, we over estimated" by then the price difference wont matter because the masses already committed to having one.

I might be a pessimist, but i'll believe it when I see it.

There's still a number of specs before I even start to be interested but a good start. It'll also need to be a buyable real product at the promised price before I commit mindshare =)

I see this phone selling for $449 unlocked, contract free to work on GSM networks like the Nexus and International phones do. They said they want this to be a Nexus phone competitor. At the end of the day, I think this phone will be a Nexus 5-1/2 type, but with a bigger battery, which is totally fine by me. The only reason I didn't get the N5 was due to the small 2,300mAh battery, if it had the 3,100mAh battery I would have bought on the first day.

Spec wise, this One +1 looks to be;

- Snapdragon 800 ( confirmed )
- 3,100mAh Battery ( confirmed )
- 3GB RAM ( rumored, but most likely )
- 5" to 5.2" size screen ( rumored, but most likely )
- Solid one piece phone, non removable back plate, metal design like the HTC One ( rumored )
- Hardware home button at bottom of the phone like all Samsung phones and the iPhone ? Or power button only on the top or side ?

My biggest question, what type of screen technology ? AMOLED like on a Samsung phone ? But that's doubtful, being those are only on Samsung made phones. Or LCD type from the HTC One series or LG Nexus 5 being most likely.

Basically I think this One Plus One, will be a beefed up Nexus 5, sort of a Nexus 5.5 IMO.

Last edited:
You know what they say about things that are too good to be true?

Well, I think this is one of those cases.

Drum up the hype and then say "oops, we over estimated" by then the price difference wont matter because the masses already committed to having one.

I might be a pessimist, but i'll believe it when I see it.

Trust me I'm not committing much to this. I already have a note 3, I'm just more interested to see how this goes.

I think the $400 is correct. They said they want this to be a Nexus phone competitor. At the end of the day, I think this phone will be a Nexus 5 type, but with a bigger battery, which is totally fine by me. The only reason I didn't get the N5 was due to the small 2,300mAh battery, if it had the 3,100mAh battery I would have bought on the first day.

- Solid one piece phone, non removable back plate, metal design like the HTC One ( rumored )
- Hardware home button at bottom of the phone like all Samsung phones and the iPhone ? Or power button only on the top or side ?

My biggest question, what type of screen technology ? AMOLED like on a Samsung phone ? But that's doubtful, being those are only on Samsung made phones. Or LCD type from the HTC One series or LG Nexus 5 being most likely.

Basically I think this One Plus One, will be a beefed up Nexus 5, sort of a Nexus 5.5 IMO.
By the time this comes out, Nexus 6 rumors will be in full swing. And you're likely just going to wait for a Nexus 6... Heck, get the new HTC One...

By the time this comes out, Nexus 6 rumors will be in full swing. And you're likely just going to wait for a Nexus 6... Heck, get the new HTC One...

Isn't this phone due out by end of 2nd Qtr, per their website ? That would mean a June release at the latest.

The new HTC One ( M8 ) is due in April / May, but a good unlocked version or GPE phone, will run $650, and not have as big a battery anyways.

And the Nexus 6 is due in November, and early rumors suggest a small battery increase, just 2,500mAh. But it's way too early to speculate on that, but i did read that 2500mAh battery for N6 recently, and the Nexus phones have a history of gimping on battery.

I would rather wait till June for this One+ for $450 as rumored, it will be as good if not better than the new HTC M8, be cheaper, and out long before the Nexus 6.

One thing is that high end specs are no longer interesting to me. The boost from the SD801 (or even the SD805) isn't large enough over even the SD600 that it's the driving factor to my purchase.

The 1+1 is starting off on a good foot by putting in a 3100mah battery and having Cyanogenmod on day 1. I have a preference for removeable batteries but I've always maintained that a large enough battery renders it a minor quibble. Since they're also talking about software optimizations that should mean thermals won't be a problem. This factor alone already puts it above the M8 (and given Google's track record, the Nexus phones) for me.

Still, there's still a lot of other things the 1+1 needs right now. My laundry list is:
1) headphone audio quality needs to be at least "average" (the Nexus 5 would be considered "poor")
2) device width cannot exceed the GS4 (which is close to the limit of single hand use in the average case)
3) wireless and cellular connectivity must be solid (seriously, if it has terrible reception, then what's the point?)
4) either 64gb standard (non-slow) internal flash or microsd (microsd is icing but the issue is sufficient storage space. This is another factor the Nexus phones completely fall flat at)
5) minimum iPhone 4S class camera (I think an 8MP decent low-light shooter isn't too much to ask for. Something like 4MP is ridiculously little especially if the low-light performance isn't _that_ much better)

Sure, there are lots of other "icing" factors but I think the above list is reasonable and absolutely critical to me.

I see this phone selling for $449 unlocked, contract free to work on GSM networks like the Nexus and International phones do. They said they want this to be a Nexus phone competitor. At the end of the day, I think this phone will be a Nexus 5-1/2 type, but with a bigger battery, which is totally fine by me. The only reason I didn't get the N5 was due to the small 2,300mAh battery, if it had the 3,100mAh battery I would have bought on the first day.

There are no hardware buttons on the screen. This is an AOSP device you're talking about. Not to mention Cyanogen posted a AnTuTu screenshot from the One+ the other day and it definitely has software keys.

There are no hardware buttons on the screen. This is an AOSP device you're talking about. Not to mention Cyanogen posted a AnTuTu screenshot from the One+ the other day and it definitely has software keys.

On-screen or capacitive buttons (News)
http://forums.oneplus.net/threads/on-screen-or-capacitive-buttons-news.354/

@evleaks ‏@evleaks 41 min.
Before OnePlus left town, I learned something interesting: apparently the OnePlus One will offer a choice of on-screen or capacitive buttons

Just read this on twitter, interesting bit of news.

Picture of both on page 3;
http://forums.oneplus.net/threads/on-screen-or-capacitive-buttons-news.354/page-3

Interesting. My personal take is that I don't mind either that much but I prefer capacitive provided it doesn't make the bezel large.

The Galaxy S4 is the best example of this. It has a tiny bottom bezel but still doesn't waste screen space.

And the best part is, if I want to have on screen buttons, I can have it.

My biggest question, what type of screen technology ? AMOLED like on a Samsung phone ? But that's doubtful, being those are only on Samsung made phones.

The Moto X and the Nokia Lumia 925/928/Icon all use AMOLED, and they are not Samsung phones.

Supposed to be a 16gb and 64gb version. Why no 32gb? The 64gb will cost what the 32gb would have been priced at.

Screen details supposed to be released tomorrow.

At least it's sounding like something interesting rather than the retread from Samsung S5 and HTC M8.

Supposed to be a 16gb and 64gb version. Why no 32gb? The 64gb will cost what the 32gb would have been priced at.

Screen details supposed to be released tomorrow.

At least it's sounding like something interesting rather than the retread from Samsung S5 and HTC M8.

To keep production costs down, the less options you offer the better.

Also, from a marketing stand point the 16gb model will be their "pricing market model" So much like the nexus 5 you say "we have an awesome device for under 400$" but in reality the majority of people want the 64gb variant so they opt to pay more.

Just my opinion...

Back