OnePlus One no invite required, 3/3 only

For 3/3 starting at midnight Pacific, anyone can get a OnePlus One without requiring an invite. Phones are at regular prices of $299 and $349 for 16GB white and 64GB black respectively. If I had $300 to drop on a new phone, I would jump on this.
https://oneplus.net/

My question is... Has it's time passed? Did they fart around too long and no one cares any more?

My question is... Has it's time passed? Did they fart around too long and no one cares any more?

It'd be foolish not to consider it, honestly. There is no other phone out right now with OPO's specs and onboard storage for $349 (yes, I'm ignoring the 16GB model). Plus, we already know CM12 works well with it, and OnePlus is getting ready to put out a stock Android L build. So software support isn't lacking.

I cared, but it was impossible to buy, so i bought a different phone. I would kind of assume that's what most people like me did. Asking potential customers to hold out for a year for an opportunity to be able to find the phone in stock only 1 day per week is asinine.

Thats my thought as well....I think they tried to "hype" it up by making it "exclusive" and hard to get one..... many people moved on to something else never to look back

Thats my thought as well....I think they tried to "hype" it up by making it "exclusive" and hard to get one..... many people moved on to something else never to look back

Exactly, I was getting real tired of their "exclusivity" and just bought a Galaxy S5, and loving it. The OnePlusOne is going to be using outdated hardware soon anyways with the release of the Galaxy S6, HTC One M9 and inevitably (and what i'm holding back for) the Note 5.

Not only that but Asus's Zenfone 2 is due out soon for a similar price range and better specs.

And who knows what LG, Motorola and others have up their sleeve.

The way they marketed the OnePlusOne was a disaster and now they're going to be suffering the consequences.

Like others I was interested up until the bs marketing crap they pulled with the artificial exclusivity. I'll stick with my m8 until I can get an m9.

Marketing, works best the younger and dumber you are.

QFT

Xiaomi has been doing that for couple years now, and it isn't really working for them anymore. Somehow people in US still falls for this crap... :p

QFT

Xiaomi has been doing that for couple years now, and it isn't really working for them anymore. Somehow people in US still falls for this crap... :p

Says the guy with a mbp in his Sig. :rolleyes:

Says the guy with a mbp in his Sig. :rolleyes:

fyi, my phone is Asus NPFI (AKA Android Phone)....

My MBP is for development purposes, since its much easier to deal with all other platform on Mac than Windows. :rolleyes:

Don't try too hard....

fyi, my phone is Asus NPFI (AKA Android Phone)....

My MBP is for development purposes, since its much easier to deal with all other platform on Mac than Windows. :rolleyes:

Don't try too hard....

Makes fun of how people fall for marketing, makes sure everyone knows his mbp is a retina. I'm not even trying, just poking fun at the obvious hypocrisy.

Huh? Xiaomi phones are awesome.. wife has a Redmi Note and loves it. I've got a Kingzone K1 Turbo. Love it.

We both came from og HTC Ones.. enjoy these far more.

People need to realize the main reason they resorted to an "invite" system was simply because they were constrained on manufacturing; People just expected Samsung-like volumes of phones shipping over from china by the millions, and then bitched when it didn't happen and phone was hard to get. So rather than the thing be perpetually sold out with a purely first-come-first-served system, they tried to keep interest rolling with the invite system - friends hooking up friends.

With the success of the One, I'm sure manufacturing and availability will be improved for the Two. Its a great phone, seriously.

People need to realize the main reason they resorted to an "invite" system was simply because they were constrained on manufacturing. People just flippantly expected Samsung juggernaut volume of phones shipping over from china in the millions, and then bitched because phone was hard to get.

With the success of the One, I'm sure they'll be able to better meet volume for the Two.

Bullshit. Nobody expected that and they don't even have 1/10th the interest. What success of the one? It's dead in the water because of the dumb invite system.

Bullshit. Nobody expected that and they don't even have 1/10th the interest. What success of the one? It's dead in the water because of the dumb invite system.

Salty. Except perception in your mind =/= reality. These phones were in fact hugely popular and highly rated. In any case, when I'm no longer interested in a product I usually just move on, rather than go on and on about it.

Salty. Except perception in your mind =/= reality. These phones were in fact hugely popular and highly rated. In any case, when I'm no longer interested in a product I usually just move on, rather than go on and on about it.

I move on too. Until it pops up in a forum i read derp. If it was as successful as you claim they wouldn't be shying away from the BS invite only crap and allowing this sale at all.

Besides the fact that everything you said before was utter bullshit. They had the means to meet the demand but chose this bullshit marketing strategy to drum up hype. Anyone with the money can pump out tons of fucking phones a day out of china its so easy to produce a phone its stupid, all it takes is money and they have money, they are not the small startup they wanted you to believe they are owned by a large chinese company with cash...

These assclowns have been doing nothing but shitty marketing to hype this phone and its finally backfiring. Mark my words by summer it will be up for sale like normal for $100 less.

So dont come here spewing bullshit that the invite system is because they couldnt make anough. Its a chinese company with chinese money they could have a million of these fuckers on US soil in less than a month.

I move on too. Until it pops up in a forum i read derp. If it was as successful as you claim they wouldn't be shying away from the BS invite only crap and allowing this sale at all.

Besides the fact that everything you said before was utter bullshit. They had the means to meet the demand but chose this bullshit marketing strategy to drum up hype. Anyone with the money can pump out tons of fucking phones a day out of china its so easy to produce a phone its stupid, all it takes is money and they have money, they are not the small startup they wanted you to believe they are owned by a large chinese company with cash...

These assclowns have been doing nothing but shitty marketing to hype this phone and its finally backfiring. Mark my words by summer it will be up for sale like normal for $100 less.

So dont come here spewing bullshit that the invite system is because they couldnt make anough. Its a chinese company with chinese money they could have a million of these fuckers on US soil in less than a month.

I agree with this completely.

Anyone thinking they are struggling to meet the demand is out of there minds. (what demand?) These things are probably sitting on pallets waiting to be shipped. I am not sure if you guys pay attention, but these sales aren't even sales anymore. Every Tuesday? LOL!

I received a total of 6 invites to share. Out of the 6, I gave maybe 3. The other 3 expired because no one wanted them. Out of the 3 I gave I think 2 claimed. I can't see how the other guy claimed the ONE as a success. Just search "one plus customer service" on Google, they are terrible.. I am just glad the 2 devices I received were flawless without the flaws other people stated to have.

I love my OnePlus and wouldn't trade it for anything. Screen quality and battery life on this thing is insane.

Pain to get? Yup. Worth the wait? Yup. (to me anyway)

I love my OnePlus One as well, however, I did come from an iPhone 5, so anything is an improvement.

If the one was really successful by now they would have increased capacity. There is nothing in the one that requires some crazy rare manufacturing technique. Personally I think the end goal of One plus is to get a buy out and they don't really care about much else. They are looking for investors not customers.

Got my OPO invite code in August. It came no less than a month after registering on their forums. If you can't at least do that, yeah, buy some other phone.

Got my OPO invite code in August. It came no less than a month after registering on their forums. If you can't at least do that, yeah, buy some other phone.

This is where people just lose all my respect... They are a company selling a product they should be jumping through hoops to get us to buy it not the other way around. When consumers start defending this shit I just sit back in disbelief.

How gullible can you really be?

This is where people just lose all my respect... They are a company selling a product they should be jumping through hoops to get us to buy it not the other way around. When consumers start defending this shit I just sit back in disbelief.

How gullible can you really be?

Oneplus is still a new, relatively unknown, small company that likely operates on razor thin margins to be able to sell the OPO at the price they do. What's to say they simply don't have the cash to ramp up production? Are they any better off by freeing up the sales of the phone if it's going to end up OOS or backordered? Then people would just be bitching that it's never in stock, or that they can't beat people with bots set up when it does come in stock. If that did happen, it would also further promote people to buy as much stock as they can to resale on Ebay at a profit, which is bad for everyone.

At least the system they have lets them more closely manage how their high-demand, low-supply product gets made available to the public. There was a ton of invite scalping early on, but that's much less relevant now, and its really not that hard to get an invite anymore if you really want one.

People need to realize the main reason they resorted to an "invite" system was simply because they were constrained on manufacturing; People just expected Samsung-like volumes of phones shipping over from china by the millions, and then bitched when it didn't happen and phone was hard to get. So rather than the thing be perpetually sold out with a purely first-come-first-served system, they tried to keep interest rolling with the invite system - friends hooking up friends.

With the success of the One, I'm sure manufacturing and availability will be improved for the Two. Its a great phone, seriously.

To be blunt, from a consumer perspective...

Not our frickin' problem.

Reality is up to November they had only sold 500,000 phones. Apple probably sold more hats than that.

500k phones is a disaster in the grand scheme of things.

Don't get me wrong. I wanted one. 8 months ago.

I got my Oneplus One in July with an early invite. I used it until January with many other phones that I bought along the way. It is the best phone available for the price new.

But with phones in like new condition readily available on Swappa I bought and sold many phones.

The OnePlus One beat out all comers until the Nexus 6, Note 4 and finally my current phone an iPhone 6 Plus.

If you are comparing new phone prices there really is no competition. Mix in used phone prices and things get a little muddied with phones like the Nexus 6 and Note 4.

Oneplus is still a new, relatively unknown, small company that likely operates on razor thin margins to be able to sell the OPO at the price they do. What's to say they simply don't have the cash to ramp up production? Are they any better off by freeing up the sales of the phone if it's going to end up OOS or backordered? Then people would just be bitching that it's never in stock, or that they can't beat people with bots set up when it does come in stock. If that did happen, it would also further promote people to buy as much stock as they can to resale on Ebay at a profit, which is bad for everyone.

At least the system they have lets them more closely manage how their high-demand, low-supply product gets made available to the public. There was a ton of invite scalping early on, but that's much less relevant now, and its really not that hard to get an invite anymore if you really want one.

No they are not. They are not some new small unknown company. How fucking gullible are you people? This has all been debunked already. Do your homework everything you said is bullshit.

No they are not. They are not some new small unknown company. How fucking gullible are you people? This has all been debunked already. Do your homework everything you said is bullshit.

On hardforum, they are well known, just like anywhere else in the tech industry. But go ask anyone who isn't tech savvy who/what Oneplus is. Then ask them who Samsung or HTC are. Most people aren't going to know who OP is, but you can bet your ass they know what a Galaxy is. I get asked all the time what phone I have, and every time it's followed by "I've never heard of that." The ONLY person I've ever talked to in person who knew what it was worked at AT&T... where it makes sense that someone would know about a relatively unknown cellphone. Also, it was the first time she had ever seen one come through the front door.

Furthermore, and I can't stress this enough... who cares? Why does it upset you so much? Even if they are doing it purely to create artificial demand, let them. If you don't like they way they do business, don't buy phone and go about your life.

Furthermore, and I can't stress this enough... who cares? Why does it upset you so much? Even if they are doing it purely to create artificial demand, let them. If you don't like they way they do business, don't buy phone and go about your life.

I'm betting a lot of the hate comes from people who wanted a phone and couldnt get one.

Even if I were shopping for a new phone today, I'd still be looking to buy a OnePlus based on everything I've read about it since it first made news.

I was looking to buy mine at the height of the hype when invites were rare as hell, and still got one within a couple weeks, not so hard to do really, and not worth whining about.

It was worth putting in the effort to buy it imho.

On hardforum, they are well known, just like anywhere else in the tech industry. But go ask anyone who isn't tech savvy who/what Oneplus is. Then ask them who Samsung or HTC are. Most people aren't going to know who OP is, but you can bet your ass they know what a Galaxy is. I get asked all the time what phone I have, and every time it's followed by "I've never heard of that." The ONLY person I've ever talked to in person who knew what it was worked at AT&T... where it makes sense that someone would know about a relatively unknown cellphone. Also, it was the first time she had ever seen one come through the front door.

You clearly missed the fact that they are backed by a Chinese company that's been making smartphones since the beginning. Not new or small.

You clearly missed the fact that they are backed by a Chinese company that's been making smartphones since the beginning. Not new or small.

Yeah... Because Oppo is a household name :rolleyes: They have released a handful of unpopular smartphones since 2008 and prior to that really only did high end home theater equipment. They aren't some tech giant. Furthermore... Who their backed by doesn't mean fuck all to the general smart phone using public who has no idea who OnePlus (or Oppo for that matter) is.

Look how long it took LG to gain a noteworthy portion of smartphone sales. Sony still hasn't. Both are making excellent phones and are household names. How is OPO supposed to succeed where they failed despite significantly less money and no brand recognition?

You've basically ignored every point I've made because your butthurt about something. Including wanting to know why your so upset about it in the first place.

The fact remains that the phone is not hard to get. At All. Invites are easy to come by, and everyone can swing by on a Tuesday and buy the phone. Like their business model or not... They haven't wrong anyone or done a disservice. They just took a different approach to launching a product in an extremely competitive market.

Back