OnePlus Is Getting Rid of the Headphone Jack

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Despite criticizing competitors removing headphone jacks mere months ago, OnePlus has decided to do just that, starting with their upcoming 6T smartphone. The decision is doubly awkward in that the company polled their Twitter followers in March about whether they cared about the 3.5mm jack, and the results were very much in its favor (88% vs. 12%). While OnePlus co-founder Carl Pei suggests it’s so OnePlus can integrate a larger battery, AndroidCentral believes there has been a change in manufacturing outside of their control.

OnePlus sources the internal components — including the display and camera modules — from OPPO, and although the OnePlus 6's external design is different to that of the R15 Pro, the internal layout is near-identical. With the OPPO R17 Pro eschewing the 3.5mm jack, it is possible OnePlus had to take a similar stance. As we've seen from Nextbit, it's incredibly difficult for a new brand to make its foray into the smartphone segment and create a sustainable business.

Oh they're so brave and revolutionary! Yay! Man, I love paying the same money for less features! MAKES COMPLETE FUCKING SENSE!!!

I hope their new phone also has a notch too and super rounded corners and no MicroSD slot too for the ultimate in choice and customer satisfaction!!

Want to fit a larger battery? Make the phone 0.5mm thicker. Really, phones are more than thin enough, and no one asks for thinner phones, as it is, I have a hard time holding onto them, and to make that worse, everyone jumped on the rounded edges bandwagon.

Everyone I talk to, first thing people talk about is longer battery life, brighter screen in day light, camera quality etc.

Having gone with the Pixel 2XL, I can say my next phone will have a 3.5mm.

Pretty disappointing to hear. I have blue tooth headsets, but there are times I used them enough they go dead or the times I forget to put them on a charger. Always nice to be able to pop in a corded pair and not worry about if they are charged up. Now I guess I'll need to keep two sets of bluetooth headsets around. Though I probably have at least another 2 years before I have to replace my +5

Shame. Had a 1+1 and a 1+3. Great phones. Funny how OP was making fun of jack-less phones 6 months ago, and now they're looking every bit the jack-ass.

I find myself using headphones constantly. Not a fan at all of Bluetooth sets, and even less so of heavily inconsistent dongles. They still don't have a charger/headphone combo adapter that is reliable for either iPhones or Android.

At this rate by the time I get around to replacing my phone noone will make a phone with a headphone jack :(
Plenty of V10s and V20s still floating around, parts for V10s are getting more affordable now too, 40 bucks for a screen, $60 mainboard, entire phone refurbed $100.

Too bad oneplus just lost me as a future customer. I have always given their phones a lot of attention, now I won't care at all.
Hope that 0.1mm spec chasing crap is worth it, fucktards.

I literally never use my headphone jack on my phone.

I have a USB stick plugged into the stereo in the work truck, and my music at home I only listen to through my PC, on some old Logitech Z-5500s.

I literally use mine constantly. Look, when the day comes that wireless charging can keep an earpiece going whenever I'm within 6 feet of a charger then it'll be awesome but I don't live my life remembering to plug in and charge crap all the time. I plug my PHONE in, but I don't have the time or inclination to screw with making sure my BT headset or earpiece is charged. The heck with that. I pull my headset out of my bag or pocket and PLUG IT IN when I need it in a noisy environment.

This is really annoying as hell. Some features are timeless. The headphone jack is certainly one of them.

Until wireless charging is ubiquitous we need the jack.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I literally use mine constantly. Look, when the day comes that wireless charging can keep an earpiece going whenever I'm within 6 feet of a charger then it'll be awesome but I don't live my life remembering to plug in and charge crap all the time. I plug my PHONE in, but I don't have the time or inclination to screw with making sure my BT headset or earpiece is charged. The heck with that. I pull my headset out of my bag or pocket and PLUG IT IN when I need it in a noisy environment.

This is really annoying as hell. Some features are timeless. The headphone jack is certainly one of them.

Until wireless charging is ubiquitous we need the jack.
It's like getting rid of power receptacles on walls because less devices draw heaps of power these days...

Oh yeah, lets get rid of LEDs because we can just wirelessly light your room anyway!
Logic.

The more I see the crap that's coming out in the phone market these days, the more I'm convinced that the golden era of phones is over.

Guess I'll hold on to my Nexus 6 as long as I can.

I got my first samsung phone this year with the S9+ and they just earned a lifetime customer, this thing rocks.

I'm so disappointed that this trend had caught on.I love having a headphone jack. I like listening to music a lot. If I'm mowing the lawn or working on my car I use a set of noise blocking earbuds. They double as earplugs. Plug in and off I go. They have a mic so I also use them for phone calls.

If I go BT l get to pay more for less sound quality and I have the worry about a battery. No thanks.

I'm so disappointed that this trend had caught on.I love having a headphone jack. I like listening to music a lot. If I'm mowing the lawn or working on my car I use a set of noise blocking earbuds. They double as earplugs. Plug in and off I go. They have a mic so I also use them for phone calls.

If I go BT l get to pay more for less sound quality and I have the worry about a battery. No thanks.

Precisely! I use either good earbuds or my custom molded earplugs that I embedded buds in. There's absolutely nothing like them and no good way to do it wirelessly. I use them when using noisy machinery, when mowing or when riding all day long in a diesel truck.

i rarely use the headphone jack, but when i do use it, it is extremely helpful that it's there because it just happens often that when i want to use the headphone jack i am always charging the phone at the same time

i don't want to use a splitter because then i have to look for the splitter and carry it around

they say that new usb for headphones is better because it has better sound and to round one is outdated,

but why are all new headphones still round type?

i think the biggest problem is that all my headphones are round, and even all the new headphones for sale are still round!

i think the solution would be to start making all headphones mini usb type first, then

have 2 charging ports so i can transfer files/listening to music and charge my phone at the same time

but then i wouldnt be able to use my usb headphones on my desktop unless i had an adapter!

im with everyone, i wont buy a phone without headphone jacks

Last edited:
I wish I had the money to start my own phone company, and just make a solid-no nonsense phones. Have competitive specs at each price-point, make the body out of polycarbonate, with carbon-fiber or kevlar reinforcement for the higher end models. Also make it 2-3mm thicker than competing models, to put in a larger, but replaceable battery. The extra thickness could also let the camera lens be slightly recessed from the body, making it harder to scratch, unlike the cameras that commonly jut out today. Have bezels that are thin, but still able to be gripped; have the bezels raised slightly from the screen to help protect it when it is placed face down; for that matter, make the screen out of the shatter-resistant plastics Motorola uses on some phones, but also ship it with a pack of tempered glass screen protectors to go on top and provide scratch-resistance. And of course, include a 3.5mm jack & microSD card slot; and just to be silly put an USB-C & micro-USB port on the bottom.

Taking this approach to a phone would make a lot more sense than what we have seen from other start-up phone makers, like Nextbit or Essential, who built phones that lacked certain features, but tried to gain marketshare on a gimmicky basis, like Nextbit's "unlimited smart storage" idea (which got shut down earlier this year anyways).

Haven't had a headphone jack since 2016 and I haven't missed it. Sometimes I wonder if the people that bitch about the missing headphone jack are the same people who still use CD's and DVD's as their physical media storage...

Back