OnePlus Confirms Up To 40,000 Users Affected By Credit Card Breach

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
In a forum post today, OnePlus has released more details on the breach that forced them to halt credit card payments on their site Tuesday. OnePlus states that "One of our systems was attacked, and a malicious script was injected into the payment page code to sniff out credit card info while it was being entered." They go on to say that they have eliminated the malicious code, as well as quarantined the infected server, and all potentially affected users have been contacted.

We first reported on this Tuesday, and kudos to OnePlus for identifying the problem and eliminating it so swiftly. That said 40,000 is a lot of potentially affected people. OnePlus mentioned those who used Credit Card via PayPal, or PayPal itself were not affected. Personally I use PayPal for everything I can, keeping my credit card info offline is important to me.

We are in contact with potentially affected customers. We are working with our providers and local authorities to better address the incident. We are also working with our current payment providers to implement a more secure credit card payment method, as well as conducting an in-depth security audit. All these measures will help us prevent such incidents from happening in the future.

At this point, I've given up. I don't give a rats ass. If my info is stolen, I'll just have to deal with it. There's not a hell of a lot I can do about it anymore. I just try to do all of the right things by keeping as much as possible offline. But if my bank gets hacked with my live info, then oops. There's very little control we have anymore without going all cash.

At this point, I've given up. I don't give a rats ass. If my info is stolen, I'll just have to deal with it. There's not a hell of a lot I can do about it anymore. I just try to do all of the right things by keeping as much as possible offline. But if my bank gets hacked with my live info, then oops. There's very little control we have anymore without going all cash.

OnePlus mentioned those who used Credit Card via PayPal, or PayPal itself were not affected.

Sure there is. PayPal is a payment proxy, you setup payment with PayPal once when you create your account and then once in awhile you need to change things if you change cards for instance.

But PayPal does certainly limit the number of times you need to enter your CC card info through other websites potentially exposing that info as in this story. Link your PayPal to a good credit card and you are pretty much set up.

Sure there is. PayPal is a payment proxy, you setup payment with PayPal once when you create your account and then once in awhile you need to change things if you change cards for instance.

But PayPal does certainly limit the number of times you need to enter your CC card info through other websites potentially exposing that info as in this story. Link your PayPal to a good credit card and you are pretty much set up.

Yes, until PayPal is hacked. That's my point. There's virtually nothing trustworthy anymore. I mean someone, somewhere has info on you and that can be hacked. This is why I think it's futile. Just do the best you can because systems can be hacked internal, external, or both.

Yes, until PayPal is hacked. That's my point. There's virtually nothing trustworthy anymore. I mean someone, somewhere has info on you and that can be hacked. This is why I think it's futile. Just do the best you can because systems can be hacked internal, external, or both.

Yes I agree, they can be hacked, anyone that's connected is at risk.

I suppose what I am saying is that some options or practices incur greater risks than others.

Yes I agree, they can be hacked, anyone that's connected is at risk.

I suppose what I am saying is that some options or practices incur greater risks than others.

Agreed. I do what I can as I'm guessing you do as well, but I fully expect my shit to still be out there someday. I've gone past the point of caring anymore worrying about 'OMG BBQ! My info's been exposed!' If it is, I hope it's only CC info. Social Sec info is SO much harder to deal with.

I'm unfortunate to be one of the affected people, which sucks as i'm in Hong Kong at the moment with no access to my account. Thankfully i still have other funds available to see me through. HSBC didn't really seem to care that i'm in another country and couldn't access money without various cash advance charges.....

Back