OnePlus 8 launch April 14th

What are your thoughts on the rumors?

Personally, the one thing that has held me from buying a 7T or a 7 pro is the optical fingerprint scanner.

What are your thoughts on the rumors?

Personally, the one thing that has held me from buying a 7T or a 7 pro is the optical fingerprint scanner.
I'm pretty pumped for the OP8 Pro. I like the on-screen fingerprint scanner. Face unlock sux!

I'm pretty pumped for the OP8 Pro. I like the on-screen fingerprint scanner. Face unlock sux!

They have had on screen scanners since the 6T. The problem is they are optical sensors which sux. I'm hoping the op 8 has an ultrasonic like the Samsung.

They have had on screen scanners since the 6T. The problem is they are optical sensors which sux. I'm hoping the op 8 has an ultrasonic like the Samsung.
I tried the scanner on the OP7T and it worked fine. I just wasn't ready to buy a new phone at the time. I'm ready now.

Oh shit, base model OnePlus 8 Pro will most likely be $799. Most expensive model will be $879. Again this is a guess based on the Indian prices.

I don't see that many better features that OP8 offers over 7/7T Pro that would justify the price.
You can get OP7 Pro mint used for around 400$ now.
Or 500 new.

Last edited:
Oh shit, base model OnePlus 8 Pro will most likely be $799. Most expensive model will be $879. Again this is a guess based on the Indian prices.

Actually... $899. Another hundred if you want the maxed-out model. The regular OnePlus 8 is where it's at if you want to go below that ($699/799).

OnePlus is fully in flagship territory these days -- it's just not as ridiculous as, say, Samsung.

Not thrilled with these prices and not impressed with the feature set, especially the once again optical fingerprint scanner. I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on a 7 pro only because i hate the way the camera look on the back of the 7T.

Edit: aaaaaaaaaaaaaand its gone

Guess im hanging onto my OP5. Im not interested in spending 1000 bucks on a phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tetsu
like this
Regular OP8 will do just fine. One thing I noticed shows black color available, but when you go to store, it isn't there..

Regular OP8 will do just fine. One thing I noticed shows black color available, but when you go to store, it isn't there..
It has worse specs than the 7 pro and costs more?

Thats idiotic.

One thing I noticed if you want a black, you gotta pay more money for higher end model. That is really not nice from OnePlus.

The 8 Pro looks to be a fantastic phone. Just not going to pay 900$ for a phone. Already got burned with the whole 7 Pro 7T bullshit. I am glad they are making a name but I really want someone to do a real mid ranger. 500$ with SD 7XX, but with all the other high end goodies

Just wait a month or two for the one inevitable price drop. Not the best time to be releasing a premium priced phone so I would expect some OnePlus deals shortly like they have done on previous releases.

The 8 Pro looks to be a fantastic phone. Just not going to pay 900$ for a phone. Already got burned with the whole 7 Pro 7T bullshit. I am glad they are making a name but I really want someone to do a real mid ranger. 500$ with SD 7XX, but with all the other high end goodies

I dont even care about high end features, I just want a US specific dual sim phone that has a half way decent screen and good battery life.

I almost want to give ZTE another shot.

Nexus 6p was qhd and 5 years later the regular OP8 is still fhd..

How much longer will we need to wait..

Was looking forward to these to replace my 2 XL. But the cameras haven't improved at all it seems still and I hate the design regression with the hole punch display and more rounded edges. I much prefer the OP 7T and Pro designs over these now.

It's seriously hard to find a good Android phone with a good camera nowadays, I'm more tempted to go iPhone now than ever and I've never owned an Apple device either. Samsung is about the only other option for me at this point, because Google can't seem to get serious about their hardware whatsoever and lean way too much on their camera and software support to compete, which after seeing some nice bugs on my 2 XL (and its successors according to all the tech block l boobs l blogs I frequent) in 1/4 of the updates, I'm not sure is a good thing at this point. The only issue with Samsung for me at this point is their absurd prices, part of which is because of the 5G hardware that I won't be able to use at all for its whole life because I'm working in Europe for the next few years and will only visit the US rarely to see family.

Last edited:
Was looking forward to these to replace my 2 XL. But the cameras haven't improved at all it seems still and I hate the design regression with the hole punch display and more rounded edges. I much order the OP 7T and Pro designs over these now.

It's seriously hard to find a good Android phone with a good camera nowadays, I'm more tempted to go iPhone now than ever and I've never owned an Apple device either. Samsung is about the only other option for me at this point, because Google can't seem to get serious about their hardware whatsoever and lean way too much on their camera and software support to compete, which after seeing some nice bugs on my 2 XL (and its successors according to all the tech block l boobs l blogs I frequent) in 1/4 of the updates, I'm not sure is a good thing at this point. The only issue with Samsung for me at this point is their absurd prices, part of which is because of the 5G hardware that I won't be able to use at all for its whole life because I'm working in Europe for the next few years and will only visit the US rarely to see family.

I'd say there are good Android camera experiences, but Apple has a consistency and constant improvement you haven't really seen on Android. Samsung phones still tend to produce cool-hued and over-sharpened images; Pixel phones still produce mediocre video; OnePlus still has work to do overall, as much as it has improved. And Huawei is generally good, but the lack of Google apps has killed interest in it for many people.

I like to think of Apple's rise in the phone camera landscape as a reflection of its strategy. It has a freight train mindset where it may not move as quickly as others at first, but builds momentum to the point where it's hard to stop. It did that with CPUs, for example... people wondered what the point of the A4 was early on, but nowadays the A-series is so fast that the Snapdragon released in the spring generally trails the A-series from the fall before.

7t is a better phone imo then the 8. I am really disappointed. Pro is to much money and 8 not worth it over the 7t unless you really want 5g

That $899 price tag for the pro turned me away for a bit. This year phone has a hole punch compared to the 7pro. S20 ultra prices is starting to come down to the 1k mark. So for $100 more you get bigger battery (5000mah s20Ultra) vs (4500mah 8pro). Camera may be better on the Ultra as well but not sure. In my opinion Oneplus should have made the 8pro $799 maxed.

That $899 price tag for the pro turned me away for a bit. This year phone has a hole punch compared to the 7pro. S20 ultra prices is starting to come down to the 1k mark. So for $100 more you get bigger battery (5000mah s20Ultra) vs (4500mah 8pro). Camera may be better on the Ultra as well but not sure. In my opinion Oneplus should have made the 8pro $799 maxed.

Guess you just need to be in China or India in the markets OnePlus targets to get the lower prices.

REGIONAL PRICING FTW

OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro launch at absurdly low prices in China — here's what that means for India

The base variant of the OnePlus 8 starts off at $565 in China, with the Pro verison retailing for $765.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.an...nd-8-pro-launch-absurdly-low-prices-china?amp

OP has jumped the shark hitting the $1,000 mark. Yeah that's a big nope from me. Best thing about OnePlus was the amazing value you got for a great price.

I had the original OnePlus One, and loved that phone, it was smoother faster then flagships for the day. I bought mine for $299 brand new while the new Samsung and Apple phones were $700+.

Yes the camera sucked on the OPO and few other missing features. But the main core of a smartphone a smooth fast stable operating system fast updates were all there and for less than half the price of the competition.

Now it's pretty close to flagship price, and for me I'd rather get a iPhone 11 Pro and Jailbreak it. Or a super deal for a brand new Pixel 4 XL, selling for $599 from Google. But no way $1,000 on a OnePlus.

And I'm not a fan of curved edge screens and hole punch. Just a turn off. And the 8 Pro's camera is good, but not Pixel 4 quality.

I understand they need to increase the price every year a little more than the year before but never thought they'd get to the $1,000, at least not this soon.

Last edited:
my Oneplus 6 is still going strong so I'll skip out this generation. Other than the huge jump in price I really dont want the SOC they are using since it has the modem on a 2nd chip. I bet the battery life is mediocre

Guess you just need to be in China or India in the markets OnePlus targets to get the lower prices.

REGIONAL PRICING FTW

OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro launch at absurdly low prices in China — here's what that means for India

The base variant of the OnePlus 8 starts off at $565 in China, with the Pro verison retailing for $765.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.androidcentral.com/oneplus-8-and-8-pro-launch-absurdly-low-prices-china?amp

Wow that's new news to me. If they launch that pricing in the US that would make them very competitive with other manufacturer.

my Oneplus 6 is still going strong so I'll skip out this generation. Other than the huge jump in price I really dont want the SOC they are using since it has the modem on a 2nd chip. I bet the battery life is mediocre

I got the OP6 as well and bought the 8. The thing is, after another year the 6th will be near worthless. Its better to upgrade now than later.

A little birdie told me the T-Mobile one plus 7 pro can be reflashed with the international ROM and take a dual SIM tray to essentially turn it into a normal phone.

So I placed an order and got a 125 dollar bill credit for my loyalty.

$488 - $125 = $363?

Can't argue with that.

Last edited:
A little birdie told me the T-Mobile one plus 8 pro can be reflashed with the international ROM and take a dual SIM tray to essentially turn it into a normal phone.

So I placed an order and got a 125 dollar bill credit for my loyalty.

$488 - $125 = $363?

Can't argue with that.
bad math... is Tmo even selling the 8 pro?

EDIT*** did you mean the 7 Pro?

Back