OnePlus 8 launch April 14th

I just did the same thing to replace my wife's 5T. Should be able to get 100-150$. How did you get the loyalty credit?

I have been a continuous account holder for 14 years. So the last few times I bought phones and a galaxy watch from them I just ask. They never say no.

So what you do is. Call in to ask for a discount but place the order using the app. When you order on the app it waives the 20 dollar upgrade charge and gives free 2 day shipping. When the order goes through the rep will see it and apply the discount.

Here's the thread.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-7-pro/help/how-to-convert-tmobile-op7-to-t3935947L

Last edited:
Got the regular 8 yesterday. The overall quality of the phone is up from the 6. The downside, if course, is a punch hole and curved display. Other than that- its solid.

Probably not what OnePlus is hoping for with the continued increase in price this release. I wonder how long before OnePlus has their first price cut this time on the OnePlus 8/Pro

For those that have the 7T, are you upgrading to the 8/Plus? If so, what made you upgrade?

https://www.androidauthority.com/survey-says-most-fans-prefer-oneplus-7t-1111480/

E156A76D-73A4-40ED-BEED-E96E62EFB762.jpeg

Vengance_01. I unlocked and flashed the phone. It was easy'ish. The thread definitely misses some information that then makes you go search for solutions. PM me when you're ready. Most importantly, get the phone unlocked first.

Vengance_01. I unlocked and flashed the phone. It was easy'ish. The thread definitely misses some information that then makes you go search for solutions. PM me when you're ready. Most importantly, get the phone unlocked first.
Thanks. Yea I will do that in the next few months. Wife loves the phone compared to my old 5t. Screen is her favorite part but strangely she did not care about the 90hz refresh rate.

Thanks. Yea I will do that in the next few months. Wife loves the phone compared to my old 5t. Screen is her favorite part but strangely she did not care about the 90hz refresh rate.

How about the facts that its almost 50 grams heavier?

Its definitely noticeable.

So the rumors that the new Z phone is going to use a SD 765.... hum... it has caught my interest. Kinda bumed that Google killed the 4a XL probably to clear out current 4 stock.

Man if One plus could pull of the following for like 450-500$

8GB ram
128-256GB
90hz 1080P
Wireless Charging
3500-4000 MAH battery
Warp Charger in the box
7T Camera setup

So the rumors that the new Z phone is going to use a SD 765.... hum... it has caught my interest. Kinda bumed that Google killed the 4a XL probably to clear out current 4 stock.

Man if One plus could pull of the following for like 450-500$

8GB ram
128-256GB
90hz 1080P
Wireless Charging
3500-4000 MAH battery
Warp Charger in the box
7T Camera setup

Pixel 4/XL have a $300 price drop right now.

Pixel 4 - $499

Pixel 4 XL- $599

80E26BA2-6BF1-4E8F-8E91-2E441294D2F7.png

So much for these great cameras.. This was truly expected.. Bring back Nexus..
Not sure I understand? The 4 and 4 xl have great cameras due to software. The leaked pre production shots show it being solid.

Not sure I understand? The 4 and 4 xl have great cameras due to software. The leaked pre production shots show it being solid.

They do have great cameras but that's about it. Should have been released at this price point..

They do have great cameras but that's about it. Should have been released at this price point..
While agree they were still decent phones spec wise just a bit overpriced. I think Google has realized they can't complete in the high end market anymore

The Apple SE made the Pixel 4 a complete turd of a phone at the original price. Even at $499, it’s still at least $159 too expensive.

The Apple SE made the Pixel 4 a complete turd of a phone at the original price. Even at $499, it’s still at least $159 too expensive.
The 4a will be 399$ if the rumors are to be believed. It will match well vs the SE.

The 4a will be 399$ if the rumors are to be believed. It will match well vs the SE.

Not in performance it won't -- the A13 is faster than the Snapdragon 865, let alone the mid-tier chip the Pixel 4a will use.

Not in performance it won't -- the A13 is faster than the Snapdragon 865, let alone the mid-tier chip the Pixel 4a will use.
yea but the 765 will be fast enough and with Pure Andriod it will fly. Throw in a 90hz display and it will be smooth as glass

yea but the 765 will be fast enough and with Pure Andriod it will fly. Throw in a 90hz display and it will be smooth as glass

Well, fast enough for standard use, but it won't be the best for gaming or intensive media tasks. I also don't think pure Android is necessarily a guarantee of performance -- the Essential Phone sitting on my desk isn't all that snappy. It depends on Google's particular approach.

Don't get me wrong, I'm curious to see how the Pixel 4a turns out... I'm just not expecting iPhone SE buyers to kick themselves wishing they'd waited.

Just got an email from OP stating the 8 Pro is back in stock. Bought the black version and will give the it a week-long test drive. Will post pics/comments when I get it next week.

Okay, a few observations after playing around with my new 8 Pro for a couple hours...

IMG_0006.jpg

• Most notable difference between my 8 Pro and 3XL is the screen. Both look great, but the 120hz of the 8 Pro is so silky smooth when scrolling, navigating, watching a video, etc. It's very cool, but the battery drain is considerable. I went from 65% down to 49% after less than 20 minutes while doing a lot of scrolling through apps and screens. The pic above (taken with my iPad Pro 11" camera) is with both screens on 100% brightness.
  • Google's excellent phone app still doesn't work on OnePlus phones I've used (7 Pro and 8 Pro). It's the only app that didn't transfer when I copied all data and settings from my 3XL to 8 Pro. Some have reported success side-loading the phone .apk, but that didn't work for me on the 7 Pro. Haven't tried it on my 8 Pro.
  • The 8 Pro feels good in my hand, but it's definitely slimmer/taller than the 3XL. You can see it in the pic.
  • The on-screen fingerprint scanner is pretty good, though a bit slow. I'll see if it's possible to turn off the animation. Out of the box, however, the 3XL's scanner is much quicker/snappier.
  • I still dislike curved screens. Typing was a bit awkward for me, as it has been on other curved screens (Galaxy S7 Edge, OP 7 Pro)
  • The phone camera never has been a high priority feature for me. All I want is the ability to take good photos in any light. All the advanced DSR functions are irrelevant to me. The punch hole is far preferable to the 7 Pro's pop up, IMO. The 3XL's notch looks hideously huge compared to the 8 Pro's straight top border.
  • Aside from the scrolling speed of the 8 Pro, it doesn't feel dramatically faster than the 3XL. I'm sure the 8 Pro's 12GB RAM makes a big difference with multitasking.
That's about all I have at the moment. Feel free to ask any questions. I'll use the 8 Pro as my daily for several days and will post any new info on performance or problems. From a first impression perspective, I still prefer the 3XL, despite its wretched battery life. I think I'd appreciate the 8 Pro more were I coming from an older, less capable phone. Work is buying me a new iPhone 12 Pro, so the motivation to drop $1000 of my own $$ on a new phone ain't real strong, anyway. ;)

Last edited:
Okay, a few observations after playing around with my new 8 Pro for a couple hours...

View attachment 245025
  • Most notable difference between my 8 Pro and 3XL is the screen. Both look great, but the 120hz of the 8 Pro is so silky smooth when scrolling, navigating, watching a video, etc. It's very cool, but the battery drain is considerable. I went from 65% down to 49% after less than 20 minutes while doing a lot of scrolling through apps and screens. The pic above (taken with my iPad Pro 11" camera) is with both screens on 100% brightness.
  • Google's excellent phone app still doesn't work on OnePlus phones I've used (7 Pro and 8 Pro). It's the only app that didn't transfer when I copied all data and settings from my 3XL to 8 Pro. Some have reported success side-loading the phone .apk, but that didn't work for me on the 7 Pro. Haven't tried it on my 8 Pro.
  • The 8 Pro feels good in my hand, but it's definitely slimmer/taller than the 3XL. You can see it in the pic.
  • The on-screen fingerprint scanner is pretty good, though a bit slow. I'll see if it's possible to turn off the animation. Out of the box, however, the 3XL's scanner is much quicker/snappier.
  • I still dislike curved screens. Typing was a bit awkward for me, as it has been on other curved screens (Galaxy S7 Edge, OP 7 Pro)
  • The phone camera never has been a high priority feature for me. All I want is the ability to take good photos in any light. All the advanced DSR functions are irrelevant to me. The punch hole is far preferable to the 7 Pro's pop up, IMO. The 3XL's notch looks hideously huge compared to the 8 Pro's straight top border.
  • Aside from the scrolling speed of the 8 Pro, it doesn't feel dramatically faster than the 3XL. I'm sure the 8 Pro's 12GG RAM makes a big difference with multitasking.
That's about all I have at the moment. Feel free to ask any questions. I'll use the 8 Pro as my daily for several days and will post any new info on performance or problems. From a first impression perspective, I still prefer the 3XL, despite its wretched battery life. I think I'd appreciate the 8 Pro more were I coming from an older, less capable phone. Work is buying me a new iPhone 12 Pro, so the motivation to drop $1000 of my own $$ on a new phone ain't real strong, anyway. ;)
This one will probably go back then. Have you tried the wireless charging? Camera should be good enough for you with night mode and the new updates. Make sure you grab those as there has been already 3-4 and reviews so its a much better camera with those updates.

This one will probably go back then. Have you tried the wireless charging? Camera should be good enough for you with night mode and the new updates. Make sure you grab those as there has been already 3-4 and reviews so its a much better camera with those updates.
Here it is on a charging stand. It's gone from 42% to 47% in about 8-10 minutes, though this most definitely is NOT a technically accurate measurement. I updated to the most current camera and other files. You're right that I'm perfectly satisfied with the 8 Pro camera. You're also right about me returning the phone. I like it, maybe could grow to love it, but I'm not feeling compelled to keep it. I probably would be more inclined if a new iPhone wasn't in my future. I couldn't convince my boss to pay for this or any Android. I work for an Mac-dominated firm, no doubt. I got her to approve my XPS 13 laptop, oddly enough.

IMG_20200512_183210.jpg

Lots to like about the updates but that price... Keeping my 5T indefinitely at this rate.

Lots to like about the updates but that price... Keeping my 5T indefinitely at this rate.

Yeah, the 8 is pretty sweet, but at that price, I'm keeping the 6. I'll wait and see what the 8T or even the 9 brings. By that time I'm sure my 6 with be worn down enough to justify the expense of a new phone.

Back