OnePlus 5T

Wait and see for me since I don't buy into hype nowadays, just hard cold facts after the device is out. But if it's still roses and sunshine by Christmas this will likely be my next phone.

I'm interested but will most likely wait till next year for a new phone.

Rumor is the 5T will be the same price as the 5 at $479 for the 64GB model with a 128GB option for $539 so we'll see how it goes. I'd still prefer to have a microSD slot but I can't imagine they'd alter the 5's form factor to fit one in unfortunately.

Sad, because if they'd just spend the $1.45 for the microSD hardware and get it fucking done I'd probably buy one of their devices but, since they continually choose not to give the end user that aspect I won't and neither will many many others.

Rumor is the 5T will be the same price as the 5 at $479 for the 64GB model with a 128GB option for $539 so we'll see how it goes. I'd still prefer to have a microSD slot but I can't imagine they'd alter the 5's form factor to fit one in unfortunately.

Sad, because if they'd just spend the $1.45 for the microSD hardware and get it fucking done I'd probably buy one of their devices but, since they continually choose not to give the end user that aspect I won't and neither will many many others.
$539 for the 128GB would be fantastic and completely alleviate the microSD sore point. I personally think it'll be at least $599 though...

I'd like microSD, too, but am satisfied with 128GB in my 5. I haven't filled half the storage. I agree with Chrono and will be very surprised if the 5T is less than $599.

I hope your right. 539$ plus 128GB and the 10% student discount would make a very happy panda providing they don't mess up on any of the core smartphone experience.

$600 makes me glad we pulled the trigger on a used 5 a few days ago. They better re-adopt the "flagship killer" philosophy and execution if they're charging near flagship prices.

$600 makes me glad we pulled the trigger on a used 5 a few days ago. They better re-adopt the "flagship killer" philosophy and execution if they're charging near flagship prices.

Rumor is no price increase. Even the loaded version would be $539. Sounds like you're just justifying your purchase to yourself.

I said "near flagship prices". S8's and V30's can be had for a little over $700.
Point out a 128gb model at "a little over $700"

With an over $100 difference between those base models and the rumored OP5T price, you're simply being disingenuous. By that standard, you could say that the OP5T is "near budget prices" since the base model is probably going to be $500 and that's only $150 from a $350 phone.

Last edited:
Those prices seem pretty fair. I paid $540 for my 5 and will have no problem paying $30 more for the 5T. The upgraded screen is worth it, IMO. And, I'm pretty sure I can get $400+ for my 5.

As long as OnePlus fixed that whole spyware thing, this looks pretty nice. I'd still lean towards a Pixel 2, but I'm interested in the 5T reviews once this hits the streets.

I'm fine with that price range, especially since I got the student discount working so it's kind of a wash

And here I am thinking that my Midnight Black 128gb 3t will be my last OnePlus device.

I don't know if I should be blaming AT&T or OnePlus for my crappy reception, even when I have signal. Also, every few weeks, it will lose my car bluetooth; forcing me to delete and reprogram settings in both the phone and the car.

Never had these problems with Motorola, Samsung or Apple devices.

Here you go....

64DDFD8D-99E8-431F-BF39-D0B3CB0CC0CA.jpeg

1080p 6.0" display? Should be better on the battery is the reason or could not source the high res displays from Samsung or to hit the price point they want they have to cut some corners. Not quite the Flagship Killer

I don't mind 1080p on my OP5. I compensate to some degree by setting the font and display size to the smallest settings.

Even the OP5 was 1080p so it was going to be a given. It's one of the reasons why the Oneplus phones have really good battery life. I'm okay with that because I don't use VR but it's definitely something to be aware of if you do.

My concern is no mention of OIS.

Good to see APTX is specifically supported now.

Launching with 7.1.1 instead of Oreo, blegh.

3300mah is sort of alright but was really hoping for more.

Last edited:
Wonder if they got a deal on leftover 2015 screens from Samsung. Pete Lau had a tweet about how good Samsung screens are and then they come out with this?

I fully expected 1080p and I'm not upset by it whatsoever. But that is likely because I've been using iPhone Plus models that have the same PPI and those look completely fine to me. I've used 1440p displays on phones a few times and I honestly have a hard time noticing the difference...

I fully expected 1080p and I'm not upset by it whatsoever. But that is likely because I've been using iPhone Plus models that have the same PPI and those look completely fine to me. I've used 1440p displays on phones a few times and I honestly have a hard time noticing the difference...
OLED's do require a bit higher PPI to match an LCD because of the pentile pattern but they should all be sharp to the naked eye in 2017. It's really VR usage that requires the higher PPI.

Totally cool with the 1080p display, that's OPO's trademark, to save on battery life, and also keep the costs down, so no surprise here.

The phone does look a bit odd though, very tall and stretched out. Just sort of looks weird, and kind of cheap in the pictures. Whereas other 18:9 phones like the LG V30 for example don't have that same funny look, the V30 looks great.

But if the price is around $499 or so, can't really complain about the 5t.

It's really odd because the R11s that it's based on doesn't have the same issue. The top and bottom bezels are just a tad thicker than you'd expect considering an 18:9 panel.

I'd say the biggest issue is launching on Nougat. Oneplus's track record for major release updates is two versions but not starting on Oreo even though it's been three months is kinda bad.

1920x1080 resolution (1080p is a video format, not a resolution, folks, and I know OnePlus lists it as "1080p" but that's because they're ignorant like most in some respects) is more than adequate for anybody and it will absolutely boost battery life to some pretty crazy lengths of time as well as keep the UI responsiveness very snappy as well because the GPU is pushing less pixels. As for the pics, it looks like a smartphone, nothing special, nothing unique, nothing that really jumps out in any respects.

If only it had a microSD slot. :(

And here I am thinking that my Midnight Black 128gb 3t will be my last OnePlus device.

I don't know if I should be blaming AT&T or OnePlus for my crappy reception, even when I have signal. Also, every few weeks, it will lose my car bluetooth; forcing me to delete and reprogram settings in both the phone and the car.

Never had these problems with Motorola, Samsung or Apple devices.

I am in the same boat.

Bluetooth and gps issues. Can't find the location, only the reboot helps. I've been hiking and running during the summer and only a few times tracked the distance correctly. It's that bad.

However, the reception is a spot on with my wife's 8+.

Still, a pretty decent device and I am not getting excited about the new one.

My old Moto was a bullet proof. Never let me down. Can't say that about the OP3.

I am in the same boat.

Bluetooth and gps issues. Can't find the location, only the reboot helps. I've been hiking and running during the summer and only a few times tracked the distance correctly. It's that bad.

However, the reception is a spot on with my wife's 8+.

Still, a pretty decent device and I am not getting excited about the new one.

My old Moto was a bullet proof. Never let me down. Can't say that about the OP3.
I never had such problems with my 3T or 5. My 5 had some difficulty receiving calls for a couple of weeks, but flashing a custom ROM then returning to stock Oxygen OS seems to have fixed it.

1920x1080 resolution (1080p is a video format, not a resolution, folks, and I know OnePlus lists it as "1080p" but that's because they're ignorant like most in some respects) is more than adequate for anybody and it will absolutely boost battery life to some pretty crazy lengths of time as well as keep the UI responsiveness very snappy as well because the GPU is pushing less pixels. As for the pics, it looks like a smartphone, nothing special, nothing unique, nothing that really jumps out in any respects.

If only it had a microSD slot. :(

2160x1080 is what is listed due to.the 18:9

I never had such problems with my 3T or 5. My 5 had some difficulty receiving calls for a couple of weeks, recently, but flashing a custom ROM then returning to stock Oxygen OS seems to have fixed it.

My son took over my OnePlus 5 and he has had the occasional wifi/Bluetooth drops but he says its fine.

2160x1080 is what is listed due to.the 18:9

DOH, I missed that myself, damn, slightly longer by 240 pixels, got it. Still a huge improvement over 2560x1440 pixels wasting all that extra power for nothing. ;)

DOH, I missed that myself, damn, slightly longer by 240 pixels, got it. Still a huge improvement over 2560x1440 pixels wasting all that extra power for nothing. ;)

Probably why it looks a little different as it's the same body as the 5 but they shrunk the top and bottom bezel. Smasung and others have gone the long and skinny route. Curious to see the 5T in real life.

The screen doesn't look that great...it looks very dim in all of those shots.
While I agree I think it's the camera shots. Look at image 29. That one looks decent. I will reserve my judgement for real hands on. I agree the all black body based on those shots make it look really cheap looking. Battery is fine plus with the Lower res screen helps as well. Let's hope all is good.

The screen doesn't look that great...it looks very dim in all of those shots.

Still Probably better screen than the Pixel 2 XL at a fraction of the price.

I'm more concerned about the lack of optical stabilization for the camera. And a lot of people are bringing up a lot of problems with their previous OnsPlus phones. I think BestBuy will have Samsung S8 phones unlocked for about $575 on Black Friday so very similar price to OnePlus.

Back