One year later and the 8800GTX/Ultra is still top dog with nothing out to beat it

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
I am amazed that the 8800GTX being over one year old already, and I also put the Ultra in same catagory because it is basically the same design. So after a year the 8800GTX/Ultra is still the best single fastest card, even though nVidia released their refresh for the Fall and can't release a Ultra killer

And AMD/ATI one year later don't even come close to a 8800Ultra killer single card, like they gave up on fast VideoCards ??

Where the heck is my 8800Ultra killer from somebody, I want a SINGLE card not SLI or Crossfire, and something that is two times faster than a GTX.

I guess I made the best decision last year in buying my 8800GTX, did not know it would be top dog card still one year later, that is unheard of in the computer industry

Which just points at the already obvious fact that previous graphics card trends will be changing now.

2007 will go down as the worst year for VideoCard releases. nVidia comes out with NOTHING new, I mean this is all the 8800GTX from 2006, the Ultra is just a minor refresh barely faster than the GTX, and not the 8800GT is an almost GTX. But still nothing brand new like the 8800GTX was in 2006.

AMD/ATI just completely lost it, the almighty 2900XT was a bust. So they try again and still can't even beat one year old technology compared to the 8800GTX.

I think 2008 will have a wake up from both these sleepers, and have the 9800Ultra release, and 4900XT. What is taking so long

Well I'm sure nVidia has something lined up and ready but until ATi comes up with something there won't be a need to replace the GTX. This is what happens with there's NO competition.

No offense, but you seem to create a LOT of speculation threads about high end cards which we have as much as info as you do..

1. We have no idea what nvidia has planned for this year or early next year
  2. We have no idea what ATi has planned for this year or early next year
  3. We won't know till they release any info.
  4. We're as clueless as you are.
  5. Yes, everyone would love to have a 8800GTX/Ultra killer.
  6. Yes, it's fun to speculate, but I feel as if we're going around in circles talking about the same thing.
  7. Proof = People speculated G92 was going to be high end. There were others who predicted it'd be mid-range. Some were correct, some not.
  8. No one can predict the future, else they would have a happy life in Wall Street.
  9. Yes, I like lists.

2007 will go down as the worst year for VideoCard releases. nVidia comes out with NOTHING new, I mean this is all the 8800GTX from 2006, the Ultra is just a minor refresh barely faster than the GTX, and not the 8800GT is an almost GTX. But still nothing brand new like the 8800GTX was in 2006.

AMD/ATI just completely lost it, the almighty 2900XT was a bust. So they try again and still can't even beat one year old technology compared to the 8800GTX.

I think 2008 will have a wake up from both these sleepers, and have the 9800Ultra release, and 4900XT. What is taking so long

HD 2900 was a bust, but the HD 3850 and 3870 were meant to compete directly with the gtx/ultra at those price brackets.

My whole point is I am shocked that over one year later the 8800GTX is still the top dog single VideoCard, and that AMD/ATI have now had two chances to try and beat it; 2900XT which failed, and now again the 3870XT which doesn't come close. Even nVidia themselves didn't release a new generation more powerful card.

HD 2900 was a bust, but the HD 3850 and 3870 were meant to compete directly with the gtx/ultra at those price brackets.

How were they "meant to compete directly with the gtx/ultra at those price brackets" ??

Well at least AMD/ATI is trying something
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/593/1/
The Radeon HD 3870 X2 is set to be released in Q1 2008 if all goes well, and after seeing it in action, I have no doubt that it will come out. AMD is making a comeback in the desktop graphics card market, so sit back and relax as the marketing wars are just now being drawn up.

How were they "meant to compete directly with the gtx/ultra at those price brackets" ??

Well at least AMD/ATI is trying something
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/593/1/
The Radeon HD 3870 X2 is set to be released in Q1 2008 if all goes well, and after seeing it in action, I have no doubt that it will come out. AMD is making a comeback in the desktop graphics card market, so sit back and relax as the marketing wars are just now being drawn up.

Personally I would rather see 1 new card that can topple the GTX/Ultra. Not slapping two cores on one card or throwing 4 cards into one system.

sorry, i meant that they were meant to compete at a lower price bracket (around the price of a 8800gts 320 and the 8800gt), not to compete at the 500-600 and 800 dollar level.

The 8 series has been, and still is, one of THE MOST SUCCESSFUL video cards lines ever to hit the market....and yet you people are still bitching!

I guess by now, and especially with the release of Crysis, everyone's eager to see the next generation of GPU as current gen GPU appears to be struggling with these new games.

I won't complain though if indeed the trend is changing that one generation of GPU now last longer than it was before. I can't keep up anyway:D

There's no point in releasing a new card because there's no competition from Ati. Nvidia would be competing with itself.

Wasn't the 6800ultra top dog (for nvidia) for 2 years? They didn't feel the need to release a new card when ATi was beating them in performance during that time, they really didn't have to.

Same applies here, just now we got problems with DX10 not being as fast as it should be, so to compensate we need faster GPU's. But adding more processing power is just a bandage on the problem.

i wonder how alan wake will run on a 8800gtx LOL maybe at resolutions of 800x600 should do the trick

i wonder how alan wake will run on a 8800gtx LOL maybe at resolutions of 800x600 should do the trick
:D
What's the release time frame for Alan Wake? The "True G92" is rumored to still be sitting at the starting blocks.

dooood seriously? THIS IS UR 8000th THREAD ON THE SAME DAMN SUBJECTTTTTTTTTTTTT

and the ultra didn't come out 1 year ago

I am surprised that GTX is still good too, I was really hoping for something new to come out and boost my FPS in Crysis, that game is killing my FPS.

The 8 series has been, and still is, one of THE MOST SUCCESSFUL video cards lines ever to hit the market....and yet you people are still bitching!

I agree, and I was NOT b!tching when I bought my 8800GTX in 2006, it has lasted me one full year of Gaming for my Apple 30", and nice IQ too. I think the 8800GTX goes down with the 9700Pro in classic VideoCards.

BUT I am really surprised over one year later and it is still the top dog single card, which is good for me, but I am ready for a new generation much faster single card. I can't remember a single VideoCard staying on top for over a year with no competition to beat it, or even the same company releasing something faster to beat it

I would have thought with AMD having two different shots at beating the GTX they would, but even two tries and they can't come close to an 8800Ultra. And nVidia themselves have not released anything more powerful either. Come on already lets the beast out

No offense, but you seem to create a LOT of speculation threads about high end cards which we have as much as info as you do..

6. Yes, it's fun to speculate, but I feel as if we're going around in circles talking about the same thing.
  7. Proof = People speculated G92 was going to be high end. There were others who predicted it'd be mid-range. Some were correct, some not.
  8. No one can predict the future, else they would have a happy life in Wall Street.
  9. Yes, I like lists.

snick.gif

9. Yes, I like lists.

ATI has pics of the 3870X2 working in xfire too =) that is ATIs next high end, single PCB, dual chip
and yes, this guy won't stop with the damn 9800gtx threads

I don't care about the threads, I'm just sick of seeing the phrase "top dog". Seriously OP, you're really overusing it. Now stop posting the same fuckin topic over and over again.

Back