One Weird Trick Relaunching RTX 4080 12GB as 4070 Ti

DPI

[H]F Junkie
The Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB is getting closer to reality with Gigabyte's submission of 4070 Ti SKUs to the Eurasian Economic Commission.

The best part? No one will remember Jensen tried to "just the tip" the 4080 12GB because it was only... a month ago. He is counting on goldfish attention spans not to recall That One Night as he takes to the stage again in January, claps his hands together, and all the world swoons before his beautiful nightmares.
  • Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 Ti AORUS MASTER (GV-N407TAORUS M-12GD)
  • Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 Ti AORUS ELITE (GV-N407TAORUS E-12GD)
  • Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC (GV-N407TGAMING OC-12GD)
  • Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING (GV-N407TGAMING 12GD)
  • Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 Ti AERO OC (GV-N407TAERO OC-12GD)
  • Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 Ti AERO (GV-N407TAERO-12GD)
  • Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 Ti EAGLE OC (GV-N407TEAGLE OC-12GD)
  • Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 Ti EAGLE (GV-N407TEAGLE-12GD)

tip.jpg

Last edited:
I mean, they made the product with a bad name, they weren't just going to bury them in the desert like so many ET cartridges. It was going to come to market with a new name and stickers over the old name eventually.
No doubt. But on the other hand, aren't you supposed to suppress the urge to not return to the scene of the crime like five minutes later?

We learned this on the show "Dexter". They gave several examples.

Last edited:
The best part? No one will remember Jensen tried to "just the tip" the 4080 12GB because it was only...
Not sure if you are serious (I imagine not) it will be contain for contain creator and a running joke for years (if it happen).

How does the SKU list tell us that they are the "unlaunched" 4080 ?

Last edited:
I'm waiting for the launch of the 4070 Ti Super Aorus Master Limited Edition. It's like the regular 4070 Ti, only priced at the same level as the 4090 because board partners think that kind of pricing model makes sense.

If there's no associated price drop, this is DOA. They can't even sell the "normal" 4080s at MSRP.

The real crime isn't the name *correction* they are implementing.....and I'd argue this isn't even a Ti part but a standard 70 series card.......the real crime will be their pricing model :)
They probably already have a 4070 non-Ti in the works.

The real crime isn't the name *correction* they are implementing.....and I'd argue this isn't even a Ti part but a standard 70 series card.......the real crime will be their pricing model :)
Nah, the 3000 series overstock is about cleared out, and the 7900xt will be a serious competitor to it if not better than it. Those factors should keep this card in check, the stupid prices on the 4000 series were created to solve a problem that is almost over, after Dec 13’th NVidia will have to play along, unless AMD paper launches the cards or severely under supplies them, in which case NVidia can do what ever the market allows them to get away with.

Like others have mentioned, the name is less relevant than the performance and price. I've stopped caring about model numbers a long time ago.
All I need is a performance metric and a branding suffix that doesn't get auditing in a tizzy, which is why I do like PNY, they usually offer at least one card of every class with a basic no-nonsense name such as the PNY GeForce RTX® 4090 24GB VERTO™ Triple Fan, simple, clean, looks fine as a line-item to an auditor. It also helps that they make the workstation cards and have a pretty clean RMA process.

Good grief, folks... NVIDIA messed up, but it's not some unforgivable crime. If the RTX 4070 Ti is basically a 4080 12GB at a lower price, the company will have learned its lesson.

I mean, they made the product with a bad name, they weren't just going to bury them in the desert like so many ET cartridges. It was going to come to market with a new name and stickers over the old name eventually.
The best (worst?) part of it all is they were trying to sneak things through while publicly saying it isn't even the same processor on the card. Like everyone saw through that. A 4080 with less ram is one thing, but you weren't even getting the same speed as a 4080, they were just trying to milk it for all it's worth

I have zero issue with the product or even the name - just the price they initially planned on launching it for. If they knock the price down several hundred bucks it wouldn't be half bad.

I have zero issue with the product or even the name - just the price they initially planned on launching it for. If they knock the price down several hundred bucks it wouldn't be half bad.
The announced prices were intentionally insulting, this should correct itself by easter.

It is supposed to be cheaper than originally planned, but only by $50. I read that somewhere, so it could be complete rubbish. I do expect that the price will be less by some amount.

It is supposed to be cheaper than originally planned, but only by $50. I read that somewhere, so it could be complete rubbish. I do expect that the price will be less by some amount.
I was reading that originally the 4080 was planned to be an $800 card, but the 3000 series overstock required Nvidia to make the MSRP completely unpalatable, but they are charging the AIBs as if it was still that $800 card so when they announce their price reductions the AIBs arent left swinging in the wind and they get the benefits of a huge markup on any of the cards they do sell currently, which really should be very few, nobody, unless they are desperate, should be buying a 4080 at the current price point.
It should be worth noting though Nvidia probably expected AMD to charge less than the 899 and 999 that they are for the 7900 cards, I really think that AMD chose to price them higher as Nvidia priced the 4080 out of the market.

I was reading that originally the 4080 was planned to be an $800 card, but the 3000 series overstock required Nvidia to make the MSRP completely unpalatable, but they are charging the AIBs as if it was still that $800 card so when they announce their price reductions the AIBs arent left swinging in the wind and they get the benefits of a huge markup on any of the cards they do sell currently, which really should be very few, nobody, unless they are desperate, should be buying a 4080 at the current price point.
It should be worth noting though Nvidia probably expected AMD to charge less than the 899 and 999 that they are for the 7900 cards, I really think that AMD chose to price them higher as Nvidia priced the 4080 out of the market.
My theory is that prices will be artificially high for early adopters, then once sales dip they'll lower them to their actual MSRP and people will think they're getting a deal. That will just be the new normal with card releases.

My theory is that prices will be artificially high for early adopters, then once sales dip they'll lower them to their actual MSRP and people will think they're getting a deal. That will just be the new normal with card releases.
It was more to push people to the 3000's, but yeah anybody desperate enough to buy a 4080 right now is certainly getting punished for it, the lack of AMD competition for the 4090 justifies its price tag, as any cheaper and it would probably just get scalped for its current pricing if not more.

Weird, who is buying these? Why? Lol.
A mix of similar to the people buying 3080Ti/3090 at similar if not higher price not so long ago too some wanting a 4090 not finding one and still wanting a new card right now.

A mix of similar to the people buying 3080Ti/3090 at similar if not higher price not so long ago too some wanting a 4090 not finding one and still wanting a new card right now.
Yup. I bought a 4080 STRIX. It's $50 more to get an RTX 4090 FE - but where do I buy that card? Plus, I already have one (and a 4090 STRIX).

Also a proud (former) RTX 3090 Ti (x2) owner. :) It is an awesome card!

Weird, who is buying these? Why? Lol.
The 3080's and 3090's are basically gone, your only options now if you need a card in that range are the 4080 or wait for some of the AMD offerings to come out, but if you weren't looking for an AMD card because, reasons... then your only option is to wait or get the 4080. But holding off now may require you to wait until March or April because shipping is really messed up right now, so if your machine is dead or seriously not cutting it and you had Christmas gaming plans you get a 4080 or hope to beat out a bot for a 7900xtx.

In canada for someone wanting a new card would a $1,630 CAD 4080 was available, the closest competition would be a
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort=price&page=1
An more expensive scalped 6900xt

Pcpart picker does not find anything under $1,845 for a 3080TI
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort=price&page=1

Or under $2170 for a 3090

An msrp 4080 seem by far the best deal if you go above a 6800xt on the new market, for all the talk of some stock overflow of a couple of months ago we seem to be again in a terrible market place for new card

Last edited:
The 3080's and 3090's are basically gone, your only options now if you need a card in that range are the 4080 or wait for some of the AMD offerings to come out, but if you weren't looking for an AMD card because, reasons... then your only option is to wait or get the 4080. But holding off now may require you to wait until March or April because shipping is really messed up right now, so if your machine is dead or seriously not cutting it and you had Christmas gaming plans you get a 4080 or hope to beat out a bot for a 7900xtx.
I guess GN are behind the times, in their latest video they are literally talking about how easy it is to get 3xxx cards for low prices right now. Maybe the used market is different.

I guess GN are behind the times, in their latest video they are literally talking about how easy it is to get 3xxx cards for low prices right now. Maybe the used market is different.
Black Friday and Cyber Monday decimated the 3000 stocks.

Sure no one cares about the product or the name until they try to sneak a lower end product past you with the name of a higher end product at that higher end price. That is/was my whole problem with things. Sure if they want to release a 4070ti at $599 fine people will be happy with that compromise ... but something tells me they won't. They wanted to get $899 for it, they took some egg on their face (almost immediately) with their lie about what you're getting and "unrelease" it, they'll re-release it with a different name and part of me thinks they'll ask the same price but I think at most they'll knock $100 off it, and at $799 Nvidia (and the poor AiBs that need to march along with them) can go fuck off.

Black Friday and Cyber Monday decimated the 3000 stocks.
Were there any sales? I mean I think I saw a couple Zotac cards that dipped below MSRP by a smidge, but other than that didn't see much in the way of advertising of deals.

Were there any sales? I mean I think I saw a couple Zotac cards that dipped below MSRP by a smidge, but other than that didn't see much in the way of advertising of deals.
I think it was powered by CPU sales. People building new rigs.

Not really sales on GPU's but certainly on everything else, lots of PC's got built out this past week so lots of hardware was moving, if you save $200 on the rest of the rig but still pay $200 too much for an Nvidia GPU the rig was still $200 less than it was a month ago and that's all it takes for many.

Back