One Way To Fight Back Over 2142 Spyware

So the Windows security update issue extends to the full version? Totally unacceptable for a game developer to require that (uninstall update) of their customers IMhO.

Step 1) Refuse to purchas BF2142 and ANY other future EA game
Step 2) Refuse to purchas any products made by companies advertising through BF2142

I think the killer thing here is make advertising in games less attractive to the people who pay for advertising, they're trying to promote brand awareness in a positive way, if it creates the negative effect then they're not going to want to advertise.

And to be honest this goes way beyond Dice and EA, because advertisements have infected almost all other mediums of entertainment and games are one of the few things left that aren't all saturated with ads.

Guess what, if EA can prove ads in games are an easy way to make more money then we're going to see this policy adopted by game companies all over the place and before long it will be like TV and it will just be normal to have loads of ads served up in our faces which is going to suck big time.

Our generation of gamers can set the standard and outright refuse to let this become popular and help kill of any chance of ads becoming a large part of gaming, or we can sit back and accept it and let the spam ensue.

TV in most countries have adverts every 15 minutes, you want gaming to end up like that?

I don't...and even if I thought BF2142 was a good game (Which I DO NOT) I still would not buy it, it's worth the sacrafice of a few games now, rather than the alternative, trust me.

The best method is to organize a method that FUBARs the statistics. You know how Google ads will check for unusual behavior, and refuse to pay people who abuse the system? Well, sit in the game, and stare at a billboard for 8 hours, overnight. Get everyone on the server to do this. If enough people organize to do this, it will completely ruin the statistics, and the advertising company will decide they are being abused for cash. Bang, end of advertising.

Alternatively, a slightly more underhanded approach would to just write a program which feeds them BS statistics.

Namork said:
The best method is to organize a method that FUBARs the statistics. You know how Google ads will check for unusual behavior, and refuse to pay people who abuse the system? Well, sit in the game, and stare at a billboard for 8 hours, overnight. Get everyone on the server to do this. If enough people organize to do this, it will completely ruin the statistics, and the advertising company will decide they are being abused for cash. Bang, end of advertising.

Alternatively, a slightly more underhanded approach would to just write a program which feeds them BS statistics.

Sounds like a fantastic idea, i'll have to look into this, it might be worth buying the game setting up a connection on one of my servers and get a character in game looking constantly at one billboard, then turn the monitor off and leave it on permenantly.

I can see the ban message now, "you've been been banned for staring at too many ads"

lol

good to see you all get worked up over this. use comsumer 101 logic: don't like, dont buy! simple

raz-0 said:
I didn't buy the game because BF2 wasn't properly patched yet and therw were in game ads.

However, I have some ideas on how to do this.

*snip*

Let's be realistic here. People aren't even protesting the Iraq war all that much, and it's killed more than 20,000 people, over 3,000 americans, and permanently disfigured tens of thousands more. If people are too lazy to get excited over something like that, what makes you think they'll organize a nationwide protest over a video game. It's a good idea, except that it doesn't take into account the inherent laziness of the human race.

/subscribed

Good thread...I, for one, won't be buying the game. There are just way too many shady things being done be EA here. Installing spyware is the least of it....what gets me is that they're suggesting you uninstall a Windows security update if you're have issues with the game. F*ck that Sh!t. I would never uninstall something like that just to play a game....let alone something that is essentially a mod to a game that I already own and play somewhat regularly. EA completely jumped over the boundary of what is acceptable in producing a game.

I think at the very least if you don't agree with what EA is doing, don't buy the game...simple as that. An organized effort might be a little harder to put together but it's definately worth it if enough people jump on and help the cause.

I'll be at a LAN party this weekend and I'll try and the word to the gamers there (if they haven't heard of it already).

shadowfax said:
Let's be realistic here. People aren't even protesting the Iraq war all that much, and it's killed more than 20,000 people, over 3,000 americans, and permanently disfigured tens of thousands more. If people are too lazy to get excited over something like that, what makes you think they'll organize a nationwide protest over a video game. It's a good idea, except that it doesn't take into account the inherent laziness of the human race.

I don't know, people who sign up to fight each other getting injured, whats the world coming too?

I'd have more sympathy for people who didn't have a career in the military...

Yes, as always you have the option not to buy the product.

Keep this in mind .... most gamers don't hang around in forums like this, or keep up with the latest news. So they will have no idea of the security update issue until AFTER they buy the game. Probably not until they have an unsuccessful game launch and subsequent error message.

This is my main beef. Now, if they stated on the OUTSIDE of the box that you "may" have to disable a Windows security update in able to play the game, then that would be a different matter. Not that many people read the fine print anyway.

Susquehannock said:
Yes, as always you have the option not to buy the product.

Keep this in mind .... most gamers don't hang around in forums like this, or keep up with the latest news. So they will have no idea of the security update issue until AFTER they buy the game. Probably not until they have an unsuccessful game launch and subsequent error message.

This is my main beef. Now, if they stated on the OUTSIDE of the box that you "may" have to disable a Windows security update in able to play the game, then that would be a different matter. Not that many people read the fine print anyway.
thing is, almost every college campus i know about (which contain alot of gamers) require that machines connected have all windows security updates. not having one is grounds for blocking access of that machine.

shadowfax said:

You assume i mean unanimous support. That's not what you need, and yes, the war does get protested with that much organization. However, unlike the war, a consumer advocacy group would. What you need is something along the lines of the american family association. That's a group of something like 28,000 people who doe exactly what I suggested. Influence sponsors, prosecutors, and lawmakers. They get heard enough it is on the nightly news all the time. Same go for those duchebags who protest sooldiers funerals, but they are much less effective because their actions are highly unsympathetic.

Sorry for the following off topic post, but I can't look the other way when shit like this is posted:

Frosteh said:
I don't know, people who sign up to fight each other getting injured, whats the world coming too?

I'd have more sympathy for people who didn't have a career in the military...

Excuse me? Those people are the reason your whiny little ass can sit on your PC all day and complain about a video game.

You can dislike the war, the policy, but do not rag on the troops.

Met-AL said:
Sorry for the following off topic post, but I can't look the other way when shit like this is posted:

Excuse me? Those people are the reason your whiny little ass can sit on your PC all day and complain about a video game.

You can dislike the war, the policy, but do not rag on the troops.

OK WE GET IT, THANKS!

Now PLEASE STICK TO THE POST!

NO MORE FLAMES PLEASE!

THANKS

It's more then just spyware guys. Read this:

----------------------------------------------

Besides the main point most people are wrapped up in, did you realise this also has to do with the fact that EA didn't mark the outside of the box, possible deception into making sales, due to the fact many stores have a no return policy on openboxes, and quite possibly EA is just hoping many people won't bother with a return through EA, and deal with this hassle.

I mean as big of a corporation EA is, they didn't really conside the box with no information on it? Highly unlikely.

The game is rated T for Teens, this is clearly exploitation on the youth around the world.

Did you know in Norway they will probably not be able to sale the game, at least for the kids since you can't have advertisment geared towards children in that country.

Not to mention all the complexities and legalities of spyware.

Remember this is a WORLD WIDE issue, not just in America or Canada.

Oh and look at this concerning the security of your computer, now that we also find out you need to uninstall a security update.

We should also be boycotting companies like IGA that don't have ethics, and consider advertisment exploitation to children is ok.

IGA & EA are the two that teamed up together on this thing!

IGA -----> http://www.ingameadvertising.com/

Remember 10, 12, and 13 year olds play these types of games that moms and dads aren't aware of what's going on.

I'm sure companies like IGA hope the parents won't know either.

Learn this, because those in control have learned it long ago.

If you want to take control you OWN the ----> MONEY

He who has the money has the control.

So if you want to take away control you take away -----> MONEY.

The SOLUTION is not buying the game.

ALOHA

DasFox said:
Remember 10, 12, and 13 year olds play these types of games that moms and dads aren't aware of what's going on.

While I agree that EA is treading on thin ice with this in-game ad software and recommendation of removal of a Windows update there's no frickin' way that you should remove the parental responsibilities from the equation. It's a parent's job to know what's going on in their kids lives.

That's a WHOLE different problem. ;)

there's more important things to be concerned about than this... have you looked at the state of the planet lately? in-game adverts are complete bullshit when you pay full retail price i agree. just don't give them your money and move on.

Banyan said:
there's more important things to be concerned about than this

So why are we all here on this forum? It's a frickin' gaming forum for cryin' out loud. lol :D

O.K. we have had multiple calls in to EA to see what the deal on this is but nobody has returned our calls. In the mean time, let me weigh in on a few things said in this thread:

A.) If you don't like what EA has done here...do not buy the game.

B.) Whatever you do....DO NOT gather outside a retailer bothering customers about this or any other issue you have unless you want to get hauled off to jail. That is quite possibly the stupidest thing I have heard and it will get you charged with trespassing at the very least.

If you choose to do something like that, make sure you check with the local authorities and find out what the applicable laws in your state are. Most of the time you have the freedom to assemble...OFF the businesses property, it requires a permit or notification and it cannot block legitimate customers of said business.

I repeat, DO NOT stand outside a retail location trying to "inform" customers of anything.

Please keep your posts clean and on topic, I am linking this discussion on the front page.

Thanks!

Steve

P.S. I'll update you when I hear something back from EA

WhyYouLoveMe said:
So why are we all here on this forum? It's a frickin' gaming forum for cryin' out loud. lol :D

everyone has their panties in a bunch over 2142 like i have never seen before. if all these people (including myself) simply don't give ea their cash (and there seems to be a ton of us) they will get the message. while i agree about the adverts the amount of threads and whining on this is insane.

i guess i don't get your post at all... it makes no sense to me. you come here to rant and rave about ea on top of either buying or not buying their game?

Banyan said:
everyone has their panties in a bunch over 2142 like i have never seen before. if all these people (including myself) simply don't give ea their cash (and there seems to be a ton of us) they will get the message. while i agree about the adverts the amount of threads and whining on this is insane.

i guess i don't get your post at all... it makes no sense to me. you come here to rant and rave about ea on top of either buying or not buying their game?

I'm definitely not buying the game. I just thought it funny that you brought in a "big picture" perspective into this forum when it's specifically built to house such gaming "rants".

I agree, there's infinitely more things more important than games but we're all on this forum to rant about games... so... let the ranting continue. ;)

WhyYouLoveMe said:
While I agree that EA is treading on thin ice with this in-game ad software and recommendation of removal of a Windows update there's no frickin' way that you should remove the parental responsibilities from the equation. It's a parent's job to know what's going on in their kids lives.

That's a WHOLE different problem. ;)

You hit on a very GOOD POINT!

Consider this, people as a rule, kids and adults alike, are they perfect?

Short answer ----> No

Kids and adults, how are this the education differences?

Short answer ----> We have kids today smarter then adults.

We must not believe on this type of idea only, but understand parents like everyone else needs to learn and understand what is going on before taking any course of action like anyone else.

SO, how can one learn when they don't think they need to, or their child is better equipped at this, as in the saying going around the world these days; "Kids are better at computers then most adults"

So adults consider this, and let kids have at it with the computers feeling intimidated by them, and when a company like EA doesn't put anything on the outside of the box as in the case of this game, then most parents are going to just look at the outside of the box, check out the graphics and some info, and look at the ESRB rating, end of story, and not realize when Johnny gets home and starts playing, that he's getting pumped full of ads to get into becoming a buying machine.

As long as we have intimidated adults over technology, and feel their child is better educated at this, then this concept just doesn't fly anymore.

ALOHA

Let's just agree that a parent's responsibility is to raise their kids. If they're going to let their kids use a PC then they better damn well learn how to use it themselves.

WhyYouLoveMe said:

Well when you understand it, please come back and let us know.

ALOHA ;)

Ok I'm the OP of the post, never once did I get my panties in a bunch others may, but certainly not I, so let's PLEASE stick to the FOCAL POINT of this discussion, and that is simply to inform people here on this forum, and then YOU can go out there into the world and share this with others, and let them decide what they would like to do over this matter.

ALOHA

P.S. Please let's not FLAME!

WhyYouLoveMe said:
That won't happen anytime soon... lol

Oh WhyYouLoveMe, since I'm a nice guy, here is your information, LOOK up and read my last.

It's called sharing, and letting people make an informed decision.

Oh and in a forum too word of mouth can spread around the world quite fast.

ALOHA

Hmm.. Do you think Jack Thompson might want to get in on this??

This is right up his alley....

Then again, this is an actual problem, not some frivolous lawsuit intended to further his career through the media exposure..

Steve,
You're right, i'm not going to buy it. It's that simple. And i didn't even know about the security update shanigans.

if you uninstall the spyware after installing the game, will the game continue working?

if so, piss on them ;)

the game is on bittorrent atm - im gona downalod it and see

messerchmidt said:
if you uninstall the spyware after installing the game, will the game continue working?

if so, piss on them ;)

dobutful. their silly punkbuster will probably ban you for
"modifying" the game.

messerchmidt said:

if so, piss on them ;)

Well that's all great snd dandy if it does, but we're not here to discuss pirated software, but to try and help poor unsuspecting consumers over this matter, as in stay away and don't buy, that's all the intentions of this post are for.

ALOHA

KENNYB said:
Steve,
You're right, i'm not going to buy it. It's that simple. And i didn't even know about the security update shanigans.

I read this morning about the spyware/ingame ad's and decided not to buy it based on that alone. Now there's a security patch to uninstall too? This is really pathetic...

Steelgrave said:
I read this morning about the spyware/ingame ad's and decided not to buy it based on that alone. Now there's a security patch to uninstall too? This is really pathetic...
Yes, see post #40 . That applies to the demo. Must say that I am not sure if that applies to the full version of the game. Perhaps someone who has an early copy could read the included paperwork and confirm one way or the other?
Martyr said:
this one

MS06-051: Vulnerability in the Windows kernel could result in remote code execution
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917422

i dont care for the implications of that at all
Interesting ... but does that apply to WinXp x32? Likely the version most people will be using for the game.

Back