One way recognation on home network?

trxjw

Limp Gawd
I just finished setting up a small network (1 Desktop, 1 Laptop on WiFi and 1 shared printer) however, I ran into a problem. For some reason the desktop recognizes the laptop and its shared files, however the laptop does not recognize the network and allow me access to the desktop shared files nor will it print on the shared printer that is connected to the desktop. Anyone have any ideas? :confused:

I'm getting an error window saying I cannot access the network name because I might not have permission to.

AMD_Gamer said:
make sure windows firewalls are turned off on all the computers

Did that too :(

Since I do have access to the Laptop shared folders via the Desktop, I'm assuming that the network is setup properly. I just cant figure out how to allow the laptop user to gain access to the network from the laptop itself.

what operating systems are on both machines? is this shared printer on the network or shared thru a PC?

Edit: also can you ping the desktop from the laptop? or ping your router from the laptop>?

delemorte said:
what operating systems are on both machines? is this shared printer on the network or shared thru a PC?

Edit: also can you ping the desktop from the laptop? or ping your router from the laptop>?

They're both running XP Pro SP2. The printer is shared through the PC because it doesnt have a ethernet jack on the back of it.

How should I ping it? I specified a TCP/IP address but lost my internet connection on both machines. Should I just ping the standard IP or ping it through the network somethow?

Are you hooked up to a router? If so can you paste "IPCONFIG /ALL" info into this forum from both machines.

If your not hooked up to a router can you describe your network from the internet connection to your PC's?

Also on both PC's are their user ID's and paswords or no security to gain entry?

Are you using simple file sharing?

Where is the shared file and what do the user rights look like?

Dinh said:
Make sure they are all in the same workgroup.

The computers do not have to be in the same workgroup to use shared folders or printers.

Sounds to me like the desktop is where you need to be looking. It is blocking the laptop for some reason.

Dew said:
Sounds to me like the desktop is where you need to be looking. It is blocking the laptop for some reason.

Yeah thats what Im thinking. I can't quite figure it out though. Im assuming it has to do with access privilages though. This is the first network I've set up so I'm pretty sure its something basic. :rolleyes:

Do I need to enable printer sharing on the laptop or just the PC? Right now I'm seeing the printers that are installed on the laptop as networked printers on the PC, but not vise versa.

assuming you have internet access on both machines, and your using a standard soho router, it's fair to say that the ip configuration from both machines is probably ok.

you dont need to turn off the windows firewall, you just need to enable file and printer sharing within the firewall on both machines. are you running, in addition, any 3rd party firewalls? if so, you will need to modify the rules on these to permit windows file and printer sharing.

its probably something to do with 'use simple file sharing (recommended)' under my computer > tools > folder options > view - i'm fairly sure simple file sharing using the guest account, which is disabled on xp sp2. make sure you have an identical account on both machines (i.e. username and password match), turn off simple file sharing, and then try again?

Maybe someone already mentioned it but you have tried with just the IP correct?
\\192.168.0.5 or whatever the remote IP is. If your using Network Places as your connectivity tool my suggestion would be to cease and desist immediately on that one. ;)

atomiser said:
assuming you have internet access on both machines, and your using a standard soho router, it's fair to say that the ip configuration from both machines is probably ok.

Assuming is the mother of all faul ups. And as i rememmber he never said what kind of router he had or if he had a net connection on both or even what kind of network he had set up so thats why i requested such info and no he still has not provided what i asked for. so i ASSUMED he did not like my questions and so there for have not offered any more suggestions nor will I. and thats my 2 cents and last post on this one. good luck with the sharing

Make sure you setup a trusted zone in anything like Norton Internet Security or it will not allow local traffic.

If you have blank passwords, it may be the below policy blocking you. Better to have passwords for security, but I know some people hate using local passwords.

EDIT: The issue is on the desktop if that is the one that will not allow access to it's shared folders. Check the sharing security on the shared folders too.

EDIT#2: Make sure the administrator account has a password if you make the policy change.

p2plogin9mj.jpg

Create an administrator account on both machines with the same user/pass, login with it and see if you can access it then.

I've got a corruption on my laptop that won't allow the same login/pass to access it over the network, but it doesn't really bother me, just means file sharing won't work on my laptop. I don't want to enable file sharing anyway, even to my own desktops.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm going to try some of theses tips out tomorrow and see what happens, Ill post the IPCONFIG info in here sometime during the day. Been a bit busy the last couple days with work so I didn't realize there was so much more I could do haha.

Thanks again, Ill let you know how it goes.

Another thought, you might not be using simple filesharing. If you want unpassworded access, make sure you have it enabled. (In any folder, Tools, Folder Options, View, The bottom item on the list)

Dew said:
Another thought, you might not be using simple filesharing. If you want unpassworded access, make sure you have it enabled. (In any folder, Tools, Folder Options, View, The bottom item on the list)
this is what i was advising against? doesnt simple file sharing use the guest account? this is disabled anyway in xp sp2? (i know you can re-enable it) i would rather have an account with a decent password used for file sharing rather than enabling the guest account...?

Well I was able to find a way around accessing the desktop directly from the laptop, however I still can't print from the laptop through the desktop. I think its due to the fact that the PC isnt using XP Pro like I thought (I'm an idiot and never thought to look :rolleyes: ) so I cant enable/disable certain security features.

Back