One Tweet From Elon Musk Made $580M Disappear

HardOCP News

[H] News
It is amazing that a single "clarification" tweet from Elon Musk could send a company's stock down almost ten percent in a single day. Bad news for Samsung SDI but good news for Panasonic.

That single clarifying tweet from Musk sent Samsung SDI’s stock plunging 8 percent this morning, losing roughly $580 million. Panasonic added about $800 million in the same period.

And in this day in age you know there will be some pending lawsuits coming.

When are they supposed to be moving towards making all their own batteries in the Gigafactory?

When are they supposed to be moving towards making all their own batteries in the Gigafactory?
Panasonic holds the good patents on recharge batteries that Tesla would want to use. So either way they'd have to "work" with them.

Isn't the Gigafactory a joint venture between Tesla and Panasonic?

Now, if he would have been shorting Samsung and buying/bought Panasonic, this would be very shady.

I feel like 580M loss is misleading. 580M never existed to begin with unless a transaction took place and all that stock is sold for 580M then it went down. It's just what people are willing to pay.

If there ever was a Twitter account that could cause a real financial damage if hacked, his would be the one.

"Tesla is proud to say that we will be supporting Microsoft Windows natively in our Tesla"

Next Tweet:

"JK lulz we are going with Google"

*Investor suicides skyrocket*

Isn't the Gigafactory a joint venture between Tesla and Panasonic?
Yes. I dont know why anyone would think Samsung would be involved for this reason. I believe Panasonic Is helping fund the factory upfront and will make it back in royalties in the long run. If Gigafactory 2 was announced, perhaps then Samsung would have a shot.

If there ever was a Twitter account that could cause a real financial damage if hacked, his would be the one.

"Tesla is proud to say that we will be supporting Microsoft Windows natively in our Tesla"

Next Tweet:

"JK lulz we are going with Google"

*Investor suicides skyrocket*

I agree. From another standpoint, if a Tesla or SpaceX supplier was noted in bad light for even a minor defect with their product, they would disappear completely.

I feel like 580M loss is misleading. 580M never existed to begin with unless a transaction took place and all that stock is sold for 580M then it went down. It's just what people are willing to pay.

Well tell that to the person who didn't make a quick buck and loss some money. :playful: Rolling high on rumors and speculation can be exciting but sometimes you get snake eyes.

that was the impression I was under, but maybe working with the current leader in battery capacity will help them reach their goals faster.

I wish had this power to make and destroy massive amounts of money with a single tweet :D

Back