One Quad, Two Quad, Red Quad, Blue Quad

Once I get the new farm set up, the plan is to ship all the old mobo's, cpu's & memory over to the [H]orde to be used as prizes in any comps that may come up.

I've got something like 14 mobo's with 16 cpu to go with them & around 30 Gb of memory to give away, as I know I'll never get around to selling them.
They range from a Q6600/B3 & 4 Gb that cannot get to overclock, down to a pair of 250's.

Luck ............. :D

Wow man.... that's great!

Really, really cool:)

I've only 4 Quads running at the moment.
2 are at the testing stage of running Memtest & Orthos.
The other 6 are still sitting in their boxes waiting to be added to the farm.
That will make 12 Quads (4x X5355's & 8x Q6600's) in total in the home farm ................ :eek:
I win .......... :p
Only 1 black case and 2 silver ones but they all have coloured fans.
I've only shut half my farm down so far for the upgrade, Hence my drop in points.

Luck ............. :D

All I can say is WOW !!!

I'd take a quad off your hands to keep it folding, I'm sure the wife couldn't argue with that :D

All right, I'll bite. I presently have... 0 quads (as long as we exclude a couple dual-proc dual-core "test" machines at work).

I'll take the 4 quad challenge. I'll even go red quad blue quad, since I'll need cases anyhow (Otherwise I'll likely spill beer on the naked boards).

Now, somewhere around here there was a list of cheap-ass (but quality) hardware.

So, my grocery list is;
4x Q6600
4x perfectly-adequate mobo
8x 1G sticks
4x 1G USB thumbdrives (ubuntu on a thumb drive, always fun)
4x Case (1x red, 1x blue)
4x adequate PSU

I wonder if any of the circuits in my apartment have enough head room to run 4 quads.. and what I will do about cooling.

Help with deals is appreciated, gentlemen :)

(Oh, also, I have not forgotten your challenge, Sunin. I'm gonna get ya.)

Not going to recommend much other than this PSU... just got one and it's a nice solid unit for the money.... free shipping as well:)

All right, I'll bite. I presently have... 0 quads (as long as we exclude a couple dual-proc dual-core "test" machines at work).

I'll take the 4 quad challenge. I'll even go red quad blue quad, since I'll need cases anyhow (Otherwise I'll likely spill beer on the naked boards).

Now, somewhere around here there was a list of cheap-ass (but quality) hardware.

So, my grocery list is;
4x Q6600
8x 1G sticks
4x adequate PSU

I wonder if any of the circuits in my apartment have enough head room to run 4 quads.. and what I will do about cooling.

(Oh, also, I have not forgotten your challenge, Sunin. I'm gonna get ya.)

This is a great grocery list! Wish it was mine.

You can run 4 quads easily on a 20amp circuit. This was a measurment taken with dual monitors, speakers, hard drives, opticals for each one... they were pulling around 16 amps or so with everything turned on.

Without hard drives, opticals, monitors and the use of an efficient powersupply, i think you sit well within a 15 amp circuit

Hope you get to go shopping!

So, my grocery list is;
4x Q6600
8x 1G sticks
4x adequate PSU

MicroCenter still has the Q6600 for $199 through the end of the month if you live near one.

If you go with a micro atx board, the PSU in this case will be good enough I think. You'll just have to paint two of the cases. ;)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...antec&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&id=1188560188557

I do live near a microcenter, actually. I should pick up a proc or two before that deal ends.

I've never done any OC on a mobo with onboard video, does it tend to get in the way? Am I better off with a crappy PCI vid card just to keep it simple?

GIGABYTE GA-P31-S3G - $65
Q6600 - $199
2x G.SKILL 1GB 1066 - $30 ea (man, that's cheap)
SAPPHIRE 100193L Radeon X1050 - $25 (Looks to be fanless, oooh quiet)
4Gb USB drive - $20
Case/PSU - $70

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128077 (mobo)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231143 (Mem)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102083 (Vid)

The antec case Killer[MOB] listed should work out.

So each of these could be put together for somewhere in the neighborhood of $450

How loud and aggravating is the stock HSF on the q6600? Is it adequate when trying to run these at 2.8 - 3Ghz?

I heard prices on Q6700s will be cut in 1/2 next week. Only a rumor, but still...

I heard prices on Q6700s will be cut in 1/2 next week. Only a rumor, but still...

Quit spreading those rumors. I just ordered a Q6600.....and I can't have it's value plummet before I even get it though the door. They're only supposed to turn obsolete after you get them. ;)
I'm in for the One Quad, Two Quad part. The wife draws the line at having more computers than members of the household so I won't be able to go Red Quad or Blue Quad any time soon.

Man that would be great, 250-280 for a Q6700 which has a 10x multiplier... 4Ghz would be doable with that puppy.

IronBits is correct, it's not a wild rumor but a fact. Q6700 will drop to 266$ in lots of 1000 while the Q6600 drop to 224$. It would be a great day for the [H]orde (I'm up for 1 or 2 extra quads). However, it would be the last price drop and they will get EOL by summer unfortunately so grab them while you can...

Man that would be great, 250-280 for a Q6700 which has a 10x multiplier... 4Ghz would be doable with that puppy.
Perhaps, but running multiple SMP clients and possibly VMs at that frequency 24/7 is an entirely different matter. ;)

Cant help on the case colors.... been running 2 quads (in one box, dual xeons). Just bought a new Q6600 so I can get back on Pocatello's ass. :D So I'll be up to 3 quads. Would upgrading a dual single core opteron server to dual, dual core opterons count as a quad? ;)

MixManSC, the server cannot be upgraded to dual dual opterons unfortunately :(

Oh yeah.... damn. Forgot about that on these stupid IBM's already. Did you get one of them also? Hell - maybe it's time for my shop to upgrade the ftp server to a new dual quad core xeon box. :D

Nope, I dropped it due to that limitation. I built a new box with EVGA 650i board and E2160 (will get a Q6600 as soon as the details of our house sale is completed).

FYI, this box will be the red quad since the computer name is CRIMSON. The second box i'll build will be called INDIGO (reference to SGI naming and my main box is called ONYX) ;)

I do live near a microcenter, actually. I should pick up a proc or two before that deal ends.

I've never done any OC on a mobo with onboard video, does it tend to get in the way? Am I better off with a crappy PCI vid card just to keep it simple?

GIGABYTE GA-P31-S3G - $65
Q6600 - $199
2x G.SKILL 1GB 1066 - $30 ea (man, that's cheap)
SAPPHIRE 100193L Radeon X1050 - $25 (Looks to be fanless, oooh quiet)
4Gb USB drive - $20
Case/PSU - $70

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128077 (mobo)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231143 (Mem)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102083 (Vid)

The antec case Killer[MOB] listed should work out.

So each of these could be put together for somewhere in the neighborhood of $450

How loud and aggravating is the stock HSF on the q6600? Is it adequate when trying to run these at 2.8 - 3Ghz?

If you're going to Microcenter anyway, pick up a Katana 2 there for $29. Works great and is as quiet as a mouse :D

For even cheaper memory try these. I'm going to get 4 of them for 4 boxen I'm going to build shortly. With a Q6600 DDR2 800 is more than sufficient to get you to 3.6. 1066 won't gain you anything as you'll have to downclock them anyway.

So I'm not sure how many of you have ever heard of this, but MS has what they call an Action Pack. It is similar to an MSDN subscription.

I am planning on purchasing this shortly for my consulting business once it is up and running. This subscription contains 10 licenses for Vista Busines (both 32 and 64bit). Plus it comes with MS Server 2003 R3 (64 bit). The license for the MS Server R3 alone is $699!!. Plus a bunch of other licenses for other software.

You do have to be able to pass some basic "tests" that Microsoft is now instituting, but I'm pretty sure most of you wouldn't even break a sweat over them.

Just a thought for those NOT comfortable with Linux (like myself) and need to an OS for Windoze boxen. Instead of a diskless version, I am going to run Vista Business on these.

For even cheaper memory try these. I'm going to get 4 of them for 4 boxen I'm going to build shortly. With a Q6600 DDR2 800 is more than sufficient to get you to 3.6. 1066 won't gain you anything as you'll have to downclock them anyway.

Or if you're really cheap (like myself :D) 2 of these would sure do the trick ;)

Does anyone know if the Tuniq Tower 120 will fit inside that Antec Case that KillerMoB suggested? I'm looking at that case, but want to cool the CPU. I'm NOT a big fan of the stock HSF for the Q6600 (or more likely the Q6700 when the price drop occurs).

I would find it hard to believe it would not fit since the TRUE is HUGE and it has fitted every damn case I've tried. Even my Micro ATX case!

I bet it won't fit my CM WaveMaster case ;)

This case is designed in 2004 and the width is slim compared to current cases (the rear fan is 80mm since it's only that size which fit).

Thanks Sunin. I'm trying to keep the costs of boxen down and the Tuniq Tower 120 works to help keep the costs down. Plus I'm using the Tuniq Tower 120 now for my main rig and am very familiar with it.

Does anyone know if the Tuniq Tower 120 will fit inside that Antec Case that KillerMoB suggested? I'm looking at that case, but want to cool the CPU. I'm NOT a big fan of the stock HSF for the Q6600 (or more likely the Q6700 when the price drop occurs).

I'm currently running a q6600 with a TRUE in that same case, and it fits with about 1/2" to spare, so if its smaller than a TRUE you'll have no problems.

Thanks Axdrenalin. I can write the case off my research list :)

While the Tuniq is a pretty decent heatsink and it's cheaper than the TRUE, the TRUE does cool better which might make a difference to you if you're looking for the max overclock like myself. Also, the fan that the Tuniq comes with does not put out nearly enough air. I'm still using the stock fan at full speed with mine as I haven't gotten a different 120mm fan for it just yet.

Out of the coolers I have on my quads they cool the best in the following order: TRUE, Ultima90 (w/ 120mm fan) and Tuniq Tower. The cost highest to lowest also follows that order.

I will keep the TRUE 120 in mind. It does add $25 to the total build cost for each boxen, but I agree, the TRUE would get me higher OC's (assuming I am heat limited). What fan is recommended now for the TRUE?

I've been a subscriber for years through my company. Just this week a got a single disc int he mail with Vista Business SP1 Full Install and a new key good for 10 licenses. Also has a not saying I'll get one full Vista Ultimate in my April update. So technically I now have 20 Vista business product keys that will all work but technically the first key is no longer legal to use as it was superseded by the new SP1 key.

Also - after a search at the egg and 10 minutes of searching here is still have no freaking clue what a TRUE is. :confused: I'm under the impression it's some kind of a heatsink which you must buy your fan for separately. Apparently Newegg either does not offer it or TRUE is not really in any part of it's name but is actually some acronym.

So I'm not sure how many of you have ever heard of this, but MS has what they call an Action Pack. It is similar to an MSDN subscription.

I am planning on purchasing this shortly for my consulting business once it is up and running. This subscription contains 10 licenses for Vista Busines (both 32 and 64bit). Plus it comes with MS Server 2003 R3 (64 bit). The license for the MS Server R3 alone is $699!!. Plus a bunch of other licenses for other software.

You do have to be able to pass some basic "tests" that Microsoft is now instituting, but I'm pretty sure most of you wouldn't even break a sweat over them.

Just a thought for those NOT comfortable with Linux (like myself) and need to an OS for Windoze boxen. Instead of a diskless version, I am going to run Vista Business on these.

It's definitely worth it if you can swing the $299.

10 Vista Business Licenses (x32 & x64)
1 Vista Ultimate License (x32 & x64)
Server 2003 R3 (x64) and Server 2003 (x32)
plus all of the other crap that goes with it (including MS Office 2007!!)

MixManSC, to fix your acronym-challenged mind, a TRUE is a ThermalRight Ultra-120 Extreme ;)

Damn - thats a honking huge expensive heatsink :eek: It looks similar to the stock Dell heatsinks on my quad core Xeons. http://www.pcpartsinc.com/prods/DEF3543.jpg The Deall stock sinks have no way to attach a fan to them though. I already have an AC Freezer 7 Pro I was planning on using on the Q6600 - anyone forsee any problems clocking it up to 3 ghz or so with that?

Also - after a search at the egg and 10 minutes of searching here is still have no freaking clue what a TRUE is. I'm under the impression it's some kind of a heatsink which you must buy your fan for separately. Apparently Newegg either does not offer it or TRUE is not really in any part of it's name but is actually some acronym.
ThermalRight Ultra Extreme.

Damn - thats a honking huge expensive heatsink :eek: It looks similar to the stock Dell heatsinks on my quad core Xeons. http://www.pcpartsinc.com/prods/DEF3543.jpg The Deall stock sinks have no way to attach a fan to them though. I already have an AC Freezer 7 Pro I was planning on using on the Q6600 - anyone forsee any problems clocking it up to 3 ghz or so with that?

You should easily be good to go with a AC freezer 7 Pro and a 3.0Ghz OC on a Q6600 (Unless it is in Sunin's hot closet :D). I have one on my Q6600 (and it is quite dusty at the moment) at 1.325 volts (bios) the Q6600 is running at 3.2GHz with temps around 52-55C while folding two SMPs. I plan on clocking it higher, but I hate to stop folding while I am stress testing.

Back