One q9450 or two q6600s?

relic

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - August 2007
Easy question to answer, huh?
A 9450 for $379 or two q6600 for $200/ea.

Let's hear it for price gouging!

Q6600 is still the king....

Unless you have crazy space requirements or something.

Agree, Q6600 (or Q6700 when the price drop hits) is still king.
Q9450 requires a board that can do higher FSB and therefore cost more plus memory that will do that FSB.

Q6600 is what you see when you unfold the D answer !

Cheap Q6600 FTW... We should all celebrate the next price cuts in 2-3 weeks with a few Q6600 each ;)

The Q6700 will only be $42 more than the Q6600. The Q6700 has the 10 multiplier (maybe making it a higher OCer than the Q6600).

Honestly, I might be tempted to get a Q6700 for my main box (watercooled) for a possible 4 GHz and move the Q6600 to the 2nd box. Buy a 3rd and even a 4th for a possible HTPC box... Always think of D and find a purpose, even the most silliest, to build a box ;)

I'm hoping to build 3 WC rigs this summer. I would LOVE to hit 4.0 with all 3 of them. Part of the reason for my desire to get the Q6700. I'm pretty sure I can't do it with my current Q6600.
The 4 other dedicated folders will be Q6700 as well. They will be aircooled and likely hit 3.6 max on air.

I wish there was a way to create a WC system that could cool 4 CPUs at a time. Or even two at a time.

I'm hoping to build 3 WC rigs this summer. I would LOVE to hit 4.0 with all 3 of them. Part of the reason for my desire to get the Q6700. I'm pretty sure I can't do it with my current Q6600.
The 4 other dedicated folders will be Q6700 as well. They will be aircooled and likely hit 3.6 max on air.

I wish there was a way to create a WC system that could cool 4 CPUs at a time. Or even two at a time.

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to stop that when it starts rolln' my way :eek:

Keeping my fingers crossed on the consulting gig. As soon as that first check gets in (and it will hopefully be a doozy), I'm getting buying all of my equipment that day!!!

I've already told my wife that I plan on spending 12K on computer equipment and that I'm writing off every damn penny. She looked at me and smiled. Of course she's getting an upgrade as well to a Q6700!!

After a lifetime of seeking the double D....I realized it was a pair of quads I wanted.

Quads.....almost as good as titties.

You can do that, you just have to hook it up to your pool pump and run it through the filter system. You always know if you need more water and you maintain the PH so you don't have to worry about stuff growing in the system!

You can do that, you just have to hook it up to your pool pump and run it through the filter system. You always know if you need more water and you maintain the PH so you don't have to worry about stuff growing in the system!

I am humbled bt the [H]ardness....pics? ;)

And you might even get titties to go with it!

D!!!

I love this solution! I wish I had a nice pool to heat.

Fold, recruit, borg and swim.

8 cores (that are much more overclockable with traditional boards) are better than 4, always.

oh, and "D"

I think he has snapped :eek:

Snapped? No, not at all. relic being the man of the world he is has come to realize and appreciate the economies of a well thought out investment.

A good Quad can be, well, just as if not more responsive then some titties. A Quad won’t sag over time it retains its original look with out surgery.

The best part of a Quad is it does not come with all that estrogen filled baggage.

The worst part of a Quad, you can’t really cuddle with on in bed. That of course assumes you are free of some weird quirks.;)

The worst part of a Quad, you can’t really cuddle with on in bed. That of course assumes you are free of some weird quirks.;)

You know you'd cuddle with any willing box(en).

Easy question to answer, huh?
A 9450 for $379 or two q6600 for $200/ea.

Let's hear it for price gouging!

The 2 Q6600's of course. I don't care how much more overclocking headroom (if any) the 45nm quads have in comparison, but one of them won't get anywhere near the production of two Q6600s. Besides, it takes much better RAM and probably a better mobo to get to even the normal overclock of the Q6600s which means more money spent. Not a wise investment there.

Honestly, I might be tempted to get a Q6700 for my main box (watercooled) for a possible 4 GHz and move the Q6600 to the 2nd box. Buy a 3rd and even a 4th for a possible HTPC box... Always think of D and find a purpose, even the most silliest, to build a box ;)

Unless the Q6700s are known to overclock much better than the Q6600s, I would not count on hitting 4Ghz with water cooling. I doubt even a chilled water setup would do it. You would probably have to go with phase change or similar to get to those speeds and it's still going to be luck of the draw. 3.6 seems to be about the best you're going to get out of the G0 quads with reasonably priced cooling. Not trying to rain on your parade, but it's just not likely.

I think he has snapped :eek:

He's not even close to snapping. The more work we do and the more WUs we crunch the more likely we'll be able to wipe out that dreaded breast cancer disease. Then we will no longer have to worry about women with no or little titties running around. That's always a good thing.:D

After a lifetime of seeking the double D....I realized it was a pair of quads I wanted.

Quads.....almost as good as titties.

Let me tell you having a pair of D's hanging in your face while your building your "D" can be very distracting... don't want to fry any D's there!

I bought a single Q9450 for 299 to play with it. I have a mobo coming that others have gotten High FSB's on, my memory in that system is all 1066 and has been stable for me at 1200. I have fans galore and will water cool the Processor, and maybe the N/S bridge once blocks are made. The plan is 4Ghz plus otherwise I will sell the Q9450 for 325 or whatever and buy a Q6700 to play with.

We soon shall see I'm guessin next week it will be Quad time! I'm amazed how my farm has not been producing what F@hMon indicates as an aaverage... I do need to add the loopback to avoid the random net drops... Because with this new addition I should hit the 20k PPD average mark and if I get them 100% stable should be posting some nice #'s going forward. I have a lot of work to do this weekend.

Has anyone see the Q6700 prices drop yet?

Back