One of the worse PC builds you seen.....

You made me remind of the time this came in my shop back in 2011:

View attachment 497565
. But I don't doubt people doing dumb crap like this either.
I see nothing wrong with that. It would take a consumidiot to buy a new PSU just because the form factor is different. And then this one presumably goes into a landfill. This is 100% preferable. It might not be pretty, but who is looking at the back of the PC while using it?

A few years ago, I flew out to one of our offices as we were rolling out iManage. One individual in this office had said her DVD drive was no longer working, so we had a replacement shipped to the office. When I got to her office to replace it (these were SFF PCs that used a laptop DVD drive), the DVD tray was hanging out of the drive by it's cable. Not working, eh? You don't say. She had not described this damage to us, she just said it wasn't reading discs. I do have a pic as I sent it to my boss so we could all facepalm, but I can't be bothered to find it. lol I replaced the drive for her though and she hasn't had any further issues, so whatever she did she hasn't done again. The PC was on the floor, so I assume she accidentally hit it while the tray was out.

The back side of of most of my builds looked like that.

Hell when I was a teen and had to make do. I would be missing screws to hold down cards. I remember zip tying a cpu cooler to a GeForce 3 to get 10mhz more on the clock. The inside was generally a bit cleaner do to video cards not needing power cables. Though I remember ide cables being messy.

When case windows became a thing. The cables were a rats nest out side of view.

My first clean build was a core 2 duo with a cooler master centurion 5. I used a hole saw and grommets to route wires. Thankfully wire routing had become a thing by the time I moved to a new case.

I really wish I had pictures of my vegetable oil cooled PC back in 2006? Was young and dumb thinking that it was the next best think to mineral oil…. Learned my lesson three months later when a RAM stick threw an error…. Decided to crack the box open in my computer room and nearly threw up after the smell hit my nostrils….

Everything other than the PSU, Hard Drive, and CD-Rom was submerged in a 20L Rubbermaid box…

Thank you Toms Hardware…. Lmfao

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/strip-fans,1203.html

Think that was the article that sent me down the path of… well decaying organic material enclosed in a box.

I really wish I had pictures of my vegetable oil cooled PC back in 2006? Was young and dumb thinking that it was the next best think to mineral oil…. Learned my lesson three months later when a RAM stick threw an error…. Decided to crack the box open in my computer room and nearly threw up after the smell hit my nostrils….

Everything other than the PSU, Hard Drive, and CD-Rom was submerged in a 20L Rubbermaid box…

Thank you Toms Hardware…. Lmfao

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/strip-fans,1203.html

Think that was the article that sent me down the path of… well decaying organic material enclosed in a box.
Ja, you need to change the oil out frequently. Too bad Tom's never did a follow-up article to talk about how the vegetable oil will breakdown and cause biological bits to float around, not to mention it going rancid.

Did you write off all the parts in that build, or did you try to clean them?

Even in the flip side section it is not mentionned:

Is there a flip side?

Experienced users should be clear on one thing: the large quantity of liquid in the case also involves risks. Much damage could occur, for example, in case of an oil leak - water would be a much lesser evil in this scenario, but due to the free ions it cannot be used. Even the smallest of impurities lead therefore to ionizing, followed by leak currents. When exchanging components, all of the oil might have to be drained and the hardware cleaned. That is why we mounted a rubber stopper on the floor of our case to aide in emptying.

The aggressiveness of individual types of oil (above all those with a high fatty acid content) when it comes to plastics should not be taken lightly. For simplicity's sake, we decided on vegetable oil - but we recommend motor oil.

If you want to flee the daily routine and have long seen enough of everyday modding junk, this trulyunique DIY project should offer some excitement in your life.

They do say that they recommend mineral based oil too (motor oil), I imagine for that issue.

good lord, i worked at mcdonalds back when they used veg oil, i know that rancid smell. *shudders at the memory of it*.

Craziest thing in recent memory: a couple months back a concrete client's site went down due to their AC unit being placed right above the PC that runs Archer (program that governs concrete mixtures) and condensation dripped onto the tower/mobo.

Of course I drive about 90 MPH to the site due to every second of down-time costing them major cash.

I arrived to find the owner staring over a labor-type, stripping wires on the PSU and moments away from fully disassembling the thing. The owner assured me "its cool, he was an electrician in Mexico"

I didn't say a word, just got his hands away from that PSU as fast as humanely possible. Then, lectured the owner on how that man could've died..

Ja, you need to change the oil out frequently. Too bad Tom's never did a follow-up article to talk about how the vegetable oil will breakdown and cause biological bits to float around, not to mention it going rancid.

Did you write off all the parts in that build, or did you try to clean them?
I was able to clean them off…. But, I ended up going with a new GPU, partially due to a needed upgrade/couldn’t find replacement fans that died trying to move oil around.

Back