One of the most perplexing issues I've had with a motherboard/ram.

Stiler

[H]F Junkie
So yesterday I went to drop my new 1070 into my current pc.

It's an Asus p8z68-v pro gen3 mobo running a 2600k and it was on 1600 ddr 3.

I upgraded my ram as well and got 16gb 2133mhz ram (2x 8gb), this: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-2133C9D-16GXH-Newegg.com which is supposed to be compatible with my mobo (have to use xmp to get the speeds of course).

While installing things I don't know if I somehow messed something up or what but my mobo does NOT want to take the full 16gb of ram and seems to have an issue with the fourth ram slot (B2).

What makes it all the more confusing is that the computer will NOT post if I have just a single stick in. It only posts if I have both sticks in but I have to "unlock" the 4th ram slot WHILE the ram is in the slot.

I tried removing the ram that wouldn't show up in bios and the computer refused to post. I put the stick fully in and lock it, no post. I put the stick in, but unlock hte ram slot, it posts.

I tried switching sticks, both work. I tried my old ram and it's the same issue as above.

I can't figure out what the heck I must have did to cause this issue and it makes no sense to me...anyone provide insight to this?

It sounds like you may have flexed you board or something in the upgrade process. If you old ram is doing the same issue as the new, it might be a good idea to pull the board out of the case and start working in components from bare to full setup.

If you put the old gpu in do you get the same thing too?

pull the board and look for any debris/dust/dirt in the ram slots and blow them out with compressed air. swapping the gpu and ram should not have any effect but if something fell into the slot during the process...

It sounds like you may have flexed you board or something in the upgrade process. If you old ram is doing the same issue as the new, it might be a good idea to pull the board out of the case and start working in components from bare to full setup.

If you put the old gpu in do you get the same thing too?

Yea I tried old gpu and it still did with my old 780 connected.

pull the board and look for any debris/dust/dirt in the ram slots and blow them out with compressed air. swapping the gpu and ram should not have any effect but if something fell into the slot during the process...

Tried cleaning it with air and seeing if anything was in the slot and I couldn't see anything.

Even if there was something in the slot why would it post only if I have ram in (but not locked) but not post when I don't have any ram in the slot? That's what is throwing me off. It somehow needs to have a stick in the slot to post but it onyl works when it's unlocked and not locked in, thus I can't use the ram (it doesn't show in bios or anything).

Last edited:
Yea I tried old gpu and it still did with my old 780 connected.

Tried cleaning it with air and seeing if anything was in the slow and I couldn't see anything.

Even if there was something in the slot why would it post only if I have ram in (but not locked) but not post when I don't have any ram in the slot? That's what is throwing me off. It somehow needs to have a stick in the slot to post but it onyl works when it's unlocked and not locked in, thus I can't use the ram (it doesn't show in bios or anything).

I was thinking that if something fell into the slot it maybe blocking a contact when locked down, unlocking it may relieve pressure and allow contact again. was just a thought.
I know this will sound weird but check your cmos battery. ive seen all sorts of weird things when they are below 3v.

Did you try breadboarding? Placing the mainboard on cardboard out side of the case and connecting PSU, ram etc.?

Sounds like a RAM socket was damaged.

Double check for anything jammed in a slot as has been mentioned.
Use a bright light to look into the slot at the contacts.

It could be a stress crack on a solder connection or on a small trace
near the RAM slots.

From my experience I'd say get ready for mobo RMA/replacement.

Yeah, I looked and triple checked , blew some air in and nothing.

Mobo is way too old for RMA now (like 5 years old lol).

Running on 8gb for now, guess I'll just have to get a new mobo/cpu when I'm able to. Is the 6700k skylake a good step up from a 2600k? or would it be better to just wait a little bit for newer processors?

On the plus side your 2600k is still worth around $150 on ebay. If you have a microcenter around the 6700k are $309 with 30 off a mobo, but you would need to make the jump to ddr4, but 16gb is around $60, and would probably give you a nice bump(maybe 15-20%) in cpu tasks, especially 2600k @4ghz vs 6700 at 4.2 OC.

Back